E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
spike9075

My Ride: bmw 330ci
2003 bmw 330ci e46

Hey everybody i am trying to figure out the issue on my 330ci and could really use some feed back, the issue is the car turns over but wont start. ripped out the back seat last night when turning the key to an on position the fuel pump did not hum at all. i then disconetted the fuel pump and used my multi meter to see what kind of power it was getting. I was only getting 3.9-4.1 Amps rather then the suggested 12-13 amps i should be getting. i am stumped and dont beleive spending the money on a new fuel pump will do anything.

I plugged in a code reader and the only thing that came up was something about a catalyst. (exhaust, nothing i can see being an issue with this and starting the car.

Any Help would be appreciate!!!

Thanks- a desperate BMW owner whos car wont start
spike9075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
lszlszx

My Ride: 1.8T, XC70
The engine needs to be cranked when checking voltage at the fuel pump.
It's rarely a power issue to the pump (on these cars).
Read my No start thread for ideas!

GM No Reverse - posts 427, 439

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
spike9075

By cranked do you mean have the key to on position or actually attempting to start it? I will have a read onyour thread! Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
These cars are known to have fuel pump failures so that is a good place to start. Unless the pump was just replaced recently I would just change it out before doing anything else and I think you will find that is your issue.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
You are reading Volts, not Amps.

A reading of 3.9-4.1 Volts at the fuel pump is NORMAL when the key is on, but the engine is not cranking.

The fuel pump has a prime mode that lasts for a few seconds when the key is first turned on, then the pump will not run until the engine is cranking and this assumes the crank sensor is functional as well.

Fuel pumps are NOTORIOUS for dieing in the cold weather, ask me how I know.

I had to replace 2 in a very cold below freezing Jan a few years ago outside!

Read the 2nd link below in my signature.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
spike9075

Awesome thanks for all the suggestions guys! Getting the fuel pump out now, was very cold when it went -35celcius planning on picking a used on up for real cheap from the scrap yard just to insure that is the problem before spending 217$ got the clamp and hose off and seen on video to take a screw driver and hammer to losen it, mine is slightly rusted and doesnt seem like an area that should be heated to help the rust :p any suggestions?!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
spike9075

Just tried putting a fuel pump in, still not getting any power to the pump no humm not noise no nothing! Also replaced the relay and still nothing! Any auggestions?!

Old 01-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
The problem could be in the wiring somewhere. I'm guessing you checked the fuse?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
mjpgolf1

Check the readings of the used pump you got before you take it back also. There is the possibility that the pump from the junkyard is shot also. I know it seams like a long shot but I've seen it happen before.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
spike9075

That is almost what i am thinking! Got a buddy with a used pump that he knows works! Thats the next stepp i guesss! Hope it works! And yes mango checked fuse 54 still good not burnt!

Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #11
JoeRoundel

My Ride: E46 330xi
Check your fuel pressure, this could help you determine if you have a pump or fuel filter issue. If fuel pressure is good, and you get a crank-no-start, you could have a bad crank sensor.

What were the conditions of the no start? Did you have any symptoms leading up to the no start? Anything replaced or modified recently?

Edit: Definitely check out lszlszx's No start thread. Good info in there.

Last edited by JoeRoundel; 01-29-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Additional info
JoeRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #12
spike9075

That is almost what i am thinking! Got a buddy with a used pump that he knows works! Thats the next stepp i guesss! Hope it works! And yes mango checked fuse 54 still good not burnt!

Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
spike9075

The car will crank but not start the morning it died it started but had a bit of problems! Nothing do to with gas replaced recently at all has been very cold here recently.

How do i check my crank sensor? Really appreciate all of the help guys!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #14
spike9075

Happy to say the problem is fixed and didnt have to spend a penny! I pulled out the fuel pump and hit the actual pump part of it very softly with a hammer 4-5 times then turned the key and the pump started to prime again!(half power) so i hit it softly on the metal of the pump another few times and b bam was working like new again.

After being mind boggled as to how hitting this this a few time could fix it i did a little research to figure out why and it seems that the reason why alot of BMW s have issues with broken pumps is because that expensive high grade gas most of us probably put in our cars have no oil on it to keep the pumps lubricated and cause them to seize so often. Call me gullable or dumb for beleiving this one but hey i just saved myself 400 bucks from not buying a new pump and just pulling out the hammer for a few gentle taps!

jpgolf1 you were totaly right the one from the junk yard had seized as well! With a few light taps of a hammer got that one working as well! Looks like i got myself a 5 dollar backup!

Thanks for every ones help and advice happy to say ill be driving my baby to work tomorow!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #15
JoeRoundel

Nice, but keep in mind you might still need to replace the pump. The "bump" test is what we typically do in the field to diagnose a failing pump. Car shows up on a hook and you pound on the pump while cranking to get the car to start. Keep the tank full as the gasoline is what cools and lubes the pump.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:01 AM   #16
spike9075

Perfect man thanks for the tip! Was told to fill up the tank full and put a liter of transmission fluid in the tank as well and it could revive it some more. Ever heard of such a thing?

Appreciate all the feedback as a newbie to the site!

Old 01-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #17
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9075 View Post
I was only getting 3.9-4.1 Amps rather then the suggested 12-13 amps i should be getting.
I don't know whether you're using the multimeter wrong or reading it wrong. Volts is the reading you want - not amps. Put the meter on volts and go do it again.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:51 AM   #18
mjpgolf1

Quote:
Happy to say the problem is fixed and didnt have to spend a penny! I pulled out the fuel pump and hit the actual pump part of it very softly with a hammer 4-5 times then turned the key and the pump started to prime again!(half power) so i hit it softly on the metal of the pump another few times and b bam was working like new again.

After being mind boggled as to how hitting this this a few time could fix it i did a little research to figure out why and it seems that the reason why alot of BMW s have issues with broken pumps is because that expensive high grade gas most of us probably put in our cars have no oil on it to keep the pumps lubricated and cause them to seize so often. Call me gullable or dumb for beleiving this one but hey i just saved myself 400 bucks from not buying a new pump and just pulling out the hammer for a few gentle taps!

jpgolf1 you were totaly right the one from the junk yard had seized as well! With a few light taps of a hammer got that one working as well! Looks like i got myself a 5 dollar backup!

Thanks for every ones help and advice happy to say ill be driving my baby to work tomorow!

Glad to help but as said above you still need a fuel pump. Your pump is giving out and will fully fail soon so be prepared. You are basically being warned by your car, which is rare, so take advantage of it and get a new pump installed before you have to add a tow bill on top of the price of the pump.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #19
JoeRoundel

Quote:
Perfect man thanks for the tip! Was told to fill up the tank full and put a liter of transmission fluid in the tank as well and it could revive it some more. Ever heard of such a thing?

Appreciate all the feedback as a newbie to the site!

I would not put transmission fluid in the fuel.

Tags
bmw 330ci, fuel pump, fuel pump problems, not enough power