E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #21
jbretz

My Ride: 01 325i
i highly recommend replacing it not only because the part is only $60 from the dealer and its a plastic component that wears and warps over time.
jbretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #22
Volga

Aleman, I can't speak for everyone, but I replaced mine because it was a 13 year old piece of plastic (a compound notorious for becoming very brittle with age). Cheaper to replace now than if it broke and the expansion tank fell off. Not necessary, but I recommend you do (depending on the year of your car, mine did last 13 years). I understand your apprehension since it is like $50-$60 for the BMW one. That seems a bit pricey considering the expansion tank must cost more to make but is only $10ish more to buy. My rule of thumb for stuff like this is that preventative maintenance is usually significantly less expensive than repair work. Plus it is easy to replace if you've already got the expansion tank off. Peace of mind is worth something too.

I hope that answer isn't too convoluted, and enjoy your e46!! I know i'm happy to have mine back. Went for a nice drive this morning, then washed, waxed and cleaned her up all pretty like
Volga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #23
Volga

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1395170521.798704.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	550528

Here she is
Volga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #24
Aleman

My Ride: '03 325xit manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volga View Post
Attachment 550528

Here she is
Car looks good man! White looks great on Bimmers! I, too, tend to take the 'While you're in there' approach to replacing good parts (but prone to breakage) during major teardowns and repairs.

I just got my XI a couple of weeks ago with no service records at all. The expansion tank looks pretty new and has a fresh paper part number sticker on the side like you typically see on replacement BMW parts. The coolant looks new, too, but the dealer says they didn't change it. The rest of the car looks very well maintained, so I wouldn't be surprised if some extensive work was done at some point. But without any history on the car, I am going to do the cooling system rebuild this spring anyway.

We usually takes big road trips during summer, and the last place I want to be is at a BMW dealership in BFE paying through the nose for repairs.

Is there anything I can look for in the system that would help to build confidence in the cooling system? I checked the hoses and they seem pretty strong, too.

Last edited by Aleman; 03-18-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Aleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #25
mr.robot-o

My Ride: 2002 330ci
TaT

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Tags
battery, cooling, cooling refresh, parts list, spark plug