E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
Swoodford58

My Ride: 325i
Differential help

Hi I am a new bmw owner as well as new member to the forum, I own a 03 325i 5 speed, and am in need of advice, I'd like to add an LSD but I'm not sure of which kind to use, an m3 dif? Please help and thanks!
Swoodford58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Llink78

My Ride: 2002 330i
M3 diff is the cheapest if you do all the work yourself, you need the rear subframe, diff, control arms, special driveshaft ( bc you have a sedan). But the ratio is way off for a 5 speed. Buying a 6 speed transmission to pair with it would put your swap around $2,200.00. Of you can contact the guy on here who retrofits bmw LSD's into the e46 housing for a direct plug and play set up (that will cost you around $1000) or go aftermarket and spend 1200-2000 but is not plug and play and you will need someone to install in your diff housing. Also use the search function. Someone once a week asked this on here.

234HP/197TQ Just bolt ons :) New Numbers Coming Soon!
Llink78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoodford58 View Post
Hi I am a new bmw owner as well as new member to the forum, I own a 03 325i 5 speed, and am in need of advice, I'd like to add an LSD but I'm not sure of which kind to use, an m3 dif? Please help and thanks!

Realistically, plan on spending about $1800 to $2000 installed for a LSD.

Go to the Driveline sub forum and start searching, lots of great info there.

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.

Last edited by Rob43; 05-12-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
You need a limited slip differential on an underpowered family car why? It's not as though you are going to boil the hides off the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
lszlszx

My Ride: 1.8T, XC70
It can help to get traction on slippery road surface, but not worth it for $2000.

GM No Reverse - posts 427, 439

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
You need a limited slip differential on an underpowered family car why? It's not as though you are going to boil the hides off the car.

+1.

OP we are all here for different reasons and we all have different opinions but as one of the older more experienced BMW owners let me try to talk some sense into you.

Being a new owner I'm sure you are excited and I'm sure you have a million different ideas running thru your head as to things you want to do to the car. This is only natural. However let me explain that first and foremost if you just bought the car there are several better ways to spend that $2000. These cars require quite a lot of maintenance to stay running tip top and to ensure that you have a reliable car. There are countless people like yourself on here that jump the gun and spend a bunch of cash modding their newly acquired BMW only to end up having nothing but problems with repairs and breakdowns. Some are serious enough to take out the entire motor.

My suggestion would be to hold off and do some research about the car you just bought. Get to know the items that require attention and make yourself a checklist. You will feel so much better about your car knowing that you are doing the responsible thing and making sure that it's running and performing as it should. Don't start chopping the car up to add unnecessary items to it. Not to mention the car you bought isn't even fast enough to have very much fun with a LSD.

If you want a sports car then set yourself a goal and save your money. You bought a luxury car with some performance characteristics but it's far from a sports car. Don't be like most other irresponsible kids on this site and start modding a car that runs and drives half assed. Just because you bought a car with a BMW logo on the hood doesn't mean it's the "ultimate driving machine" just yet. Spend the money refreshing what came on the car and get it back to its glory. You will be glad you did in the end. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Dirty-330

My Ride: 330ci,325xi,m3c
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
+1.

OP we are all here for different reasons and we all have different opinions but as one of the older more experienced BMW owners let me try to talk some sense into you.

Being a new owner I'm sure you are excited and I'm sure you have a million different ideas running thru your head as to things you want to do to the car. This is only natural. However let me explain that first and foremost if you just bought the car there are several better ways to spend that $2000. These cars require quite a lot of maintenance to stay running tip top and to ensure that you have a reliable car. There are countless people like yourself on here that jump the gun and spend a bunch of cash modding their newly acquired BMW only to end up having nothing but problems with repairs and breakdowns. Some are serious enough to take out the entire motor.

My suggestion would be to hold off and do some research about the car you just bought. Get to know the items that require attention and make yourself a checklist. You will feel so much better about your car knowing that you are doing the responsible thing and making sure that it's running and performing as it should. Don't start chopping the car up to add unnecessary items to it. Not to mention the car you bought isn't even fast enough to have very much fun with a LSD.

If you want a sports car then set yourself a goal and save your money. You bought a luxury car with some performance characteristics but it's far from a sports car. Don't be like most other irresponsible kids on this site and start modding a car that runs and drives half assed. Just because you bought a car with a BMW logo on the hood doesn't mean it's the "ultimate driving machine" just yet. Spend the money refreshing what came on the car and get it back to its glory. You will be glad you did in the end. Good luck.

Chuch!
Dirty-330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
Swoodford58

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
+1.

Honestly that is some great insight , that has actually changed my mind since what you said made perfect sense, thanks for yr advice!
Swoodford58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
You need a limited slip differential on an underpowered family car why?
probably the same reason BMW put these in the E30 325is

Tags
325i, differential, lsd, manual