E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
ejatlanta

My Ride: E46 2004
not the battery! HELP

Ok 1st post here goes. Left work the other day and noticed my battery light came on about 5 minutes later. I attributd it to the weather here in ATLANTA dropping to 40s overnight so thought okay ill check the battery when i get home. Well 10 miles later my gauge cluster starts lighting up like crazy. All the lights on. ALL of them. I noticed an exclamation point in the gauge where 'D' usually is. Then my fuel pump starts to get iffy because as i press on the gas pedal i notice hesitation. % minutes later My headlights and gauge cluster lights start to dim. I throw on the fog lights and hi beams but almost no extra juice. Then a mile later as i brake she dies on me I tried to crank her up and ended up calling the wife to hop outta bed, harass the infant throw him in the car seat and come jump me off. well the 1st jump lasted all of 1 minute and the car dies. 2nd jump lasts enough to get us to the gate of our community. 3rd jump lasts 15 seconds. When i say eff it and push her into the drive way. (not an easy task with a little baby hill....felt so unMANly LOL.) So I woke up. Checked the volts on the battery it was good. Checked the fuel pump fuse in the glove it was fine. I jumped her off again and started fine until i put her in drive (trying to go get the alternator tested) and she dies. Now what???
ejatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
ejatlanta

2004 325i. sorry. and yes im a youtube mechanic hahahaha. dont make jokes my boys harass me al the time. Im not cheap i just wanna learn and cant afford the mechanics right now.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
dmarkle

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
You'll want to buy an OBD scanner and read what codes are being thrown. You will need to start from there. If you really are hard up for the money, you can take it to AutoZone and they will read the codes for you, but since the car is dead, the tow will cost you more than the scanner. Get the scanner. Search this site for recommendations.
dmarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
You most likely need an alt. Common failure. Look at the old one to make sure you get the same brand. Bosch or Valeo.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
ejatlanta

So after searching around on here, i found the videos to remove the alternator and take off the fan clutch nut. I made the mistake of just using a 32 mm wrench and turning right to the point the belt came off hahahah...not so funny. had t use the belt to apply tension to pulley while a friend followed directions and whacked the wrench with a hammer. worked great after the 3rd try or so. save yourself an hour and whack that dang nut.! alternator out. will replace tomo...I hope.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
ejatlanta

New Bosch 150 (not the 120) but so far so good Putting it in wasnt too bad at all. Question is how tight do i tighten the NUT on the fan clutch ?

Tags
2004 325i, ????, battery, electrical problem, fuel pump