E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #21
qualicas

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivierE46M3 View Post
How do you check this on your own..... I just bought M3 2003 and after reading all the threads i am afraid to drive the damn thing!!!!! can I get a list of everything that needs special attention on this car? Can you guys send me a PM ?
Thanks in advance.....
Just read these threads. If you are a DIY, most of this stuff isn't brain damaging to do. It may take awhile to do so it is good if you are not using this as your everyday car. There was anther thread the other day about being afraid to drive. Sometimes ignorance is bliss....until something happens.
qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #22
mkodama

In all likelihood, engine is fine. Just requires taking the engine out and replacing a few things. Labor for somebody else to do the work will be expensive, as will the parts. Also, the car is long out of warranty and service plans, so there is not really much BMW NA can do.

If the valve timing got so far off that they did contact the pistons, then yeah, buying a used engine will easily be cheaper than repairs.

The engine in my 190E did something similar, but didn't do anything that dramatic. A combination of the original hydraulic chain tensioner didn't provide enough tension, and the chain stretches rather fast since it's not a double row chain, so the chain ended up jumping around and started grinding away parts of the timing cover, chain guides, and even started to eat away at the block and oil pickup tube a little. The chain skipped one tooth, and retarded the intake 10 degrees. Luckily, when a chain skips on the intake cam, it'll retard the intake cam timing, and give it more clearance. Retarding the exhaust cam on the other hand, that will give your pistons a headache.

Last edited by mkodama; 07-24-2012 at 10:37 PM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #23
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Holy crap!
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #24
Bmill160

My Ride: 2001 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
In all likelihood, engine is fine. Just requires taking the engine out and replacing a few things. Labor for somebody else to do the work will be expensive, as will the parts. Also, the car is long out of warranty and service plans, so there is not really much BMW NA can do.

If the valve timing got so far off that they did contact the pistons, then yeah, buying a used engine will easily be cheaper than repairs.

The engine in my 190E did something similar, but didn't do anything that dramatic. A combination of the original hydraulic chain tensioner didn't provide enough tension, and the chain stretches rather fast since it's not a double row chain, so the chain ended up jumping around and started grinding away parts of the timing cover, chain guides, and even started to eat away at the block and oil pickup tube a little. The chain skipped one tooth, and retarded the intake 10 degrees. Luckily, when a chain skips on the intake cam, it'll retard the intake cam timing, and give it more clearance. Retarding the exhaust cam on the other hand, that will give your pistons a headache.

Man I hope you're right. They will probably be doing a leak down test tomorrow to check the valves and will also check the timing. But, like you said, you can see where the chain was biting into the cover and guide and other parts.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
MBW

My Ride: '04 M3 Convertible
How many miles on your car? Just wondering
MBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
Bmill160

Old 07-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #27
Bmill160

Might be looking for a motor... they're claiming an over-rev is what caused the bent valve (via the bore scope) and won't look further into the bottom of the motor to rule out a VANOS issue. They claim the over-rev negates us discussing a BMW replacement.. but they have been unable to provide timestamps on the code or anything like that (if they exist) but they can't say whether they do or don't.

I was going about 40 MPH in moderate traffic and the engine suddenly failed and had NOTHING to do with an over-rev. Is it possible that an over-rev happened years ago.. bent a valve.. and I had no idea????? doubtful. Every other shop has claimed 99.9% this was caused by a VANOS issue. BMW will not discuss the fact that the chain jumping and throwing the motor out of time could bend a valve and be purely a defect related incident.

Anyone selling motors..? ugh..
Old 07-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #28
qualicas

It seems to be a clear cut issue here. If the engine is still correctly timed, and the valves are bent, then it must be a money shift. If your car is SMG, I think people say you can't money shift it. If it does, then there are problems with the SMG as well.If the chain skipped a cog, then the valves could be bent from that. If the valve cover is already off it is simple to check.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #29
Russian172

My Ride: e46 sedan e46 m3
buy his motor its in good condition
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=926167
Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #30
Bmill160

Not an over rev.. No money shift.. I was on a busy city street going 35.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #31
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Stealersip is full of ****. They don't want to open the engine cause they know the cause.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #32
qualicas

If they have done borescope stuff, they should also have the valve cover off. They should have checked valve timing first. Also, they should be able to see what went around the timing chain. Typically, if the engine would have over reved the timing chain would still be fine. I think they should be looking at the damaged parts first and figure out what happened, then see if valves are bent.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #33
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualicas View Post
If they have done borescope stuff, they should also have the valve cover off. They should have checked valve timing first. Also, they should be able to see what went around the timing chain. Typically, if the engine would have over reved the timing chain would still be fine. I think they should be looking at the damaged parts first and figure out what happened, then see if valves are bent.
It's not unreasonable for a chain to skip on an over rev.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #34
Bmill160

Exactly, that's my point.. They claimed an over rev caused it... I said so what blew a hole in the valve cover? They're "unwilling to comment"

Last edited by Bmill160; 07-29-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Bmill160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #35
Bmill160

Quote:
The cam gear has broken teeth.. I was going 35 at probably 2100 rpm.. Over rev is not in question..
Old 07-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #36
qualicas

Quote:
I have never heard of the chain skipping, over rev or not. I bought an E46 325 that was diagnosed with a skipped timing chain. (It hadn't.) Not saying it has never happened, just that I have never heard of it.
Now with a foreign body under the chain, then I can see skipping a cog.
I do not think the OP ever mentioned what was found in the chain area.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #37
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualicas View Post
I have never heard of the chain skipping, over rev or not. I bought an E46 325 that was diagnosed with a skipped timing chain. (It hadn't.) Not saying it has never happened, just that I have never heard of it.
Now with a foreign body under the chain, then I can see skipping a cog.
I do not think the OP ever mentioned what was found in the chain area.
My chain skipped without a failed timing sprocket nor over rev. Malfunctioning chain tensioner. Now you have heard of a chain skipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmill160 View Post
The cam gear has broken teeth.. I was going 35 at probably 2100 rpm.. Over rev is not in question..
I wasn't responding to you, because I don't disbelieve you. I was just elaborating to qualicas why what he said isn't a strong argument.

Also, I'm curious what this "chain area" he is speaking about is. Normally if there is a timing chain related failure, the broken pieces of metal fall straight down into the oil pan.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #38
qualicas

mkodama, damn, another weak point on these engines. I'd read about a couple of chain tensioner failures but hadn't heard of any associated chain skipping.
I have recently read about holes in chain covers due to foreign objects getting caught under the timing chain. I'll bet that is what happened here. The question is what got picked up. It usually is either the tabs or the broken cam bolts. Someone needs to look at it. Or, I guess in your issue did the tensioner
find its way under the chain or did the chain just pile up when you let off the gas?
By the way, most of my experience is with the M52 and S52 in the E36. The E46 is reasonably new to me. I thought I'd get away from all the headgasket issues with the E36, now it seems the E46 has other even more catastrophic
issues!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:05 AM   #39
Chicopupi

My Ride: N/A
I had an M52 e46 with a cracked valve cover and my lucky day was when I found a spare valve cover at my local junkyard for 26 bucks. I believe it cracked because I overheat a couple of times.
Chicopupi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine failure, valve cover, vanos