E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
Tfig

My Ride: 323i
New Year / New Issues

Hello Everyone ...
Hoping you can help me with my issue, I own a '2000' 323i with 99,000 miles and today I replaced my coolant expansion tank due to a crack in it along with the oil thermostat. But now the heater doesn't work and it overheats , I have tried to bleed it since I changed the expansion tank, only steam comes out of the bleeder screw and its filled to the top and water just boils . I think its the thermostat or water pump, my thought process is the reason why expansion tank cracked was because water in the tank wasn't being displaced like it should , therefore it expanded and cracked. Penny for your thoughts ....
Thanks ......
Tfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
kkasson

My Ride: 1999 328i
You have to bleed it when the engine is cold. If there's steam coming out, you must be doing it with the engine hot..?
kkasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
i'd make sure it's bled properly. do it again.
you should be able to see the water cycle with cap off (do not take cap off when Hot!) to see if the water pump is working.

also don't overfill the expansion tank. it has a bobber, it's not like the older cars where you fill it up to the radiator neck. it's an expansion tank not a radiator neck.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Tfig

Thanks for all the help , I will definitely try your suggestions and will keep you posted of the outcome .....
Tfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
kkasson

My Ride: 1999 328i
Follow this video exactly and you shouldn't have any problems.

Make sure you take out the excess afterwards. Remove coolant until the float drops down to the correct level.
kkasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Heilbronner

My Ride: BMW 323i
The plastic screw has to be taken off, when coolant is added, so the air can gets out!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Heilbronner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
H.A.L. 9000

I had this exact issue on the exact same car. It's bubbles in the coolant system. If you have a floor jack, use the jack point on the side of the car to jack it almost all the way up. Make sure your rear wheels are chocked and begin the bleeding process. When you jack the front of the car up in the air, it makes it much easier for all the air in the system to find it's way to that bleed screw.

I couldn't, for the longest time, figure out how to get my heat back... but this worked. My car now stays around 100C on the temp scale and my heater blows heat so hot it makes my Nike Free's smell burnt. lol. Win-win.

I should also add, use the drivers side jack point as it's the side the bleed screw is on.

Last edited by H.A.L. 9000; 01-14-2015 at 07:18 PM.
H.A.L. 9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overheating, thermostat, water pump