E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2014, 04:03 AM   #21
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
search for the thread on the euro smg flash update. it requires the software that usually comes with the inpa one called winkfpt. make sure you have the latest version of winkfpt, read the instructions on how to setup that software. the flashing of the software itself doesn't require a battery charger but the adaptation does so might as well while you're at it.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:38 AM   #22
-Roger-

My Ride: M3
Thnx! Will check into it :-)
Old 09-20-2014, 05:15 AM   #23
NumbaOneNewb

the software you bought should have came with inpa. what you critically need are the DME remaps. just trust me on this. go do some research first man.last thing you want it to fly in blindly. i waited nearly 6 months of studying before i tried it on my car
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 09-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #24
-Roger-

Ok, I don't have much experience in Inpa or any of these similar programs..
Old 09-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #25
NumbaOneNewb

I recommend researching and studying. Then experimenting slowly and seeing what things do. If you screw something up, look for help since I'm sure someone out there has experienced it
Old 09-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #26
novoM3

My Ride: Ford
Bleeding clutch and smg didnt solve issue.
Still look for a way to diagnose gps.
Gps is my last alternative before drop the box
And rebuild it
novoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #27
NumbaOneNewb

did you use inpa to run the clutch, actuator and adaptation reset?
Old 09-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #28
novoM3

Dis
Old 09-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #29
-Roger-

Can you explain the problem in detail?
Like when is the problem and what is happening? Flashing 4 in display when changing from 3-4 at High rpm?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #30
novoM3

When changing from 3-4 at high rpm it
Doesnt engage and flash the number 4
On dashboard. Then I shift to 5 and back
To 4 w/o issue.
Have replaced spring/readaptation/bleed
Clutch and gearbox actuador.
The codes i have are 177/178 and 68 but
No cog on dashboard.
It is hard to believe a 45k tranny is bad
Old 09-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #31
-Roger-

It most likely is not your tranny.. Do you experience same problems from 1-2 & 5-6?
Old 09-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #32
novoM3

I dont shift as hard from 1-2 and 5-6 so cannot compare. Is there a
Way to test gps for intermitent issue?
Old 09-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #33
-Roger-

As far as I've read about GPS sensor, it is common that you will either have problem with gear 2-4-6 or 1-3-5...
My problem was with 2-4-6.
Someone told me that very often it is enough to just run a adaptation to calibrate things into factory settings/values again.
If anything is stuck or slow or not in position regarding gearshifts, the tranny will go in emergency mode. Which is what it does when the gearvalue starts flashing.
It will also go in emergency mode if the GPS is unable to see that gear is not in correct position. (even if it is in position.)
This problems is also more common to cars with low mileage due to less use that make things more stuck.. you understand? I don't believe it is GPS, but I cannot guarnatee it.
My opinion is that it mot probably is some "connection" that job is to change gears is stuck/slow, which cause a problem to get things in correct position. Or at least, this was my problem.. Mine has low mileage as well. Older people have had the car more or less in a garage for the last 5-6 years
Old 09-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #34
-Roger-

And sorry, i dont know how to test GPS sensor :/
Old 09-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #35
novoM3

Why do you believe the tranny is not bad?
Old 09-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #36
-Roger-

Because, I have googled and read about this problem hours after hours.. And it seems that the SMG tranny almost never fails. (Don't think I have read any example of destroyed tranny with these symptoms)
I even read stories about workshops who switched trannys and problem still there.

Actually, the Tranny is more likely to get destroyed in a manual Stick than SMG. With a manual, it is the driver who controls shifting and the chance of destroying something is much bigger.
The SMG does shift faster and many will say harder, but it also is a system which always change gears 100% correct and it is programmed to go in emergency mode when things are not 100% correct.
And that is most likely your problem. The system is "protecting" the tranny because something is out of range when it is shifting gears.
That is whay we get more "problems" with SMG, but in reality these problems with gearshifting are there to protect the tranny from bad shifting which would cause damage to tranny over time. Or even at once.
If you make a mistake on a manual gearbox, there is no program to protect the tranny. So that is why SMG is actually a safer box than the manual.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #37
novoM3

I understand and agree that smg is better
For tranny.
The system is so complex that diagnosi on
Intermitent failures are not easy.
I have replaced on spring that is located on
Top of gearbox and hold in place by blind plug.
Is there any other spring that could impact
3-4 gear. I know there are others but not
Sure they impact 3-4.
I noticed today that 4-5 is not enganging as
Crisp as used to be. Still fast engagement
But in the past was faster.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #38
GolfingElk

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Coupe
Any update VeeM3r? I am having very similar issues in 2, 3, and 4 and was wondering if he was able to fix the problem and what it was? It seems like a compression spring issue. I just had my GPS replaced a few months ago, so I don't think it's that again, as the problem is different (plus no cog light).
GolfingElk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #39
agnus

My Ride: Bmw M3 E46
Hi.

Same problem here. I am from Greece and the executive service that i went told me that it is the tranny. But i do not believe it is the tranny. Anyone solve it ?
agnus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear not engage, shifting, smg