E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
kcasusi

My Ride: 330ci, Scion tC
About to sell my car, Have a few questions

Hey all, I'm about to sell my car, but some things have come up that I'm unsure about.
My '04 330ci has a muffler delete and an aftermarket M3 bumper, and a friend recently offered to trade his stock bumper and exhaust with mine. Would having stock parts increase my selling value, or should I just keep my parts?

Also, one of my rear tails has some burned out bulbs and condensation.. I wasn't sure if I should fix that up or if it'd just be a waste of time/money.
kcasusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcasusi View Post
Hey all, I'm about to sell my car, but some things have come up that I'm unsure about.
My '04 330ci has a muffler delete and an aftermarket M3 bumper, and a friend recently offered to trade his stock bumper and exhaust with mine. Would having stock parts increase my selling value, or should I just keep my parts?

Also, one of my rear tails has some burned out bulbs and condensation.. I wasn't sure if I should fix that up or if it'd just be a waste of time/money.
yes. a stock car is always going to have more resale value unless the mods are extremely clean. a muffler delete will drive away 99% of buyers, me included.
you have to consider that your car will either be bought by a middle aged woman. a teenage girl. or an old retired couple. will any of those buyers know what an m3 bumper is or enjoy a loud exhaust?' no

also, you're wondering if you should replace a burnt out tail light? seriously? it's like a $3 part. wtf
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
choxor

My Ride: JDM
When I see an aftermarket front bumper, my first thought is "collision". When I see a car for sale with easily fixed things left unfixed, my first thought is "owner that didn't give a sht about the car."

So yes, put the stock parts back on and at least replace the burned out bulbs.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Very few people are looking for a car with mods, so undo the changes to appeal to the majority of potential buyers. Your friend's offer is a good one. I would also fix the taillight so people would not jump to the conclusion the car wasn't well maintained. If you have a ten in your wallet, go buy some bulbs.

Last edited by vandyboy; 06-03-2015 at 11:52 AM.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
HarleyRob

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
yes. a stock car is always going to have more resale value unless the mods are extremely clean. a muffler delete will drive away 99% of buyers, me included.
you have to consider that your car will either be bought by a middle aged woman. a teenage girl. or an old retired couple. will any of those buyers know what an m3 bumper is or enjoy a loud exhaust?' no

also, you're wondering if you should replace a burnt out tail light? seriously? it's like a $3 part. wtf
This^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
When I see an aftermarket front bumper, my first thought is "collision". When I see a car for sale with easily fixed things left unfixed, my first thought is "owner that didn't give a sht about the car."

So yes, put the stock parts back on and at least replace the burned out bulbs.
AND, This^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyboy View Post
Very few people are looking for a car with mods, so undo the changes to appeal to the majority of potential buyers. Your friend's offer is a good one. I would also fix the taillight so people would not jump to the conclusion the car wasn't well maintained. If you have a ten in your wallet, go buy some bulbs.
AND, This!!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
kcasusi

Thanks for the responses. I'll be working on the car tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
kcasusi

As for the light, I wasn't aware individual LED bulbs could be replaced. Everywhere I've searched claims that I have to replace the whole light, which is why I asked if it was worth my time.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
mrbobmicjoe

My Ride: 2001 325i
Depends on the area. In my area (San Diego), modded E46's sell way faster than stock ones.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
OP, good luck with selling. I think everyone that responded has answered your question.

I am unsure if you should bother with changing your car. I would. Most teenage girls won't know the difference and not many retired couples want a car of this age.

I would want to see you cared enough to fix the tail light. Having all records is important to me.

I don't have LEDs but if an indy guy fixes it I think it would be worth it. I paid about $140 for my left trunk light. Will you get that- back nobody knows. But, it might sell faster.

Last edited by Hamsocne; 06-03-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Hamsocne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:56 AM   #10
325CiBrett

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
About to sell my car, Have a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcasusi View Post
As for the light, I wasn't aware individual LED bulbs could be replaced. Everywhere I've searched claims that I have to replace the whole light, which is why I asked if it was worth my time.

You can't replace LED's in the tail lights. The entire housing is one piece. (Or at least it's not possible to gain access to the circuit board without breaking something) You'll need to buy a new LED tail light for $200 or so, if you want OEM.

I just ordered one myself for the exact same reasons. (Minus selling my car)

Last edited by 325CiBrett; 06-04-2015 at 02:53 AM.
325CiBrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330ci, coupe, for sale, muffler delete, tail light