E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Fo Show

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
ST Coilovers with 18" Wheels

So I've set aside some money to finally confront my very worn suspension on my 02 330Ci w/ Sport Package. I've decided I might as well go with coilovers and hence i've been doing a fair share of research that led to me deciding on ST Coilovers factoring in reviews, recommendations, and pricing.

I already have a fairly aggressive wheel/tire set up for a non-m e46 so I wanted to run this by to see if anyone has a similar or possibly even more aggressive setup coupled with coilovers.

My wheel/tire set up follows:
Front: 18x8.5 et35 wrapped in 245/35 tires
Rear: 18x9.5 et45 wrapped in 265/35 tires

My worry is more towards the width and offset of these vmr v710s with the ST coilovers.

ST Coilovers Estimated Lowering Range (via Suspension Source):
Front: 1.2"-2.8" / 30-70mm
Rear: 1.2"-2.0" / 30-50mm

A few additional factors I was considering with this is having the sports package already has my car sitting a tad lower. Also, I feel like the factory springs with 160k on them are more than likely sagging. I picked up the car with 115k and prior maintenance is unknown.

With the height adjustment options of the coilovers, I feel as if I should be fine. Worst case, I am mentally prepared for rolling fenders as needed.

Thoughts? Similar setups? Did you have to roll the fenders?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Your setup isn't really that aggressive, but I do see a front wheel spacer in your future with Any coilover setup.

The ST setup is a good one, I'm going to make another suggestion though.

This setup offers a Tremendous value for the price:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1082853

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Your setup isn't really that aggressive, but I do see a front wheel spacer in your future with Any coilover setup.

The ST setup is a good one, I'm going to make another suggestion though.

This setup offers a Tremendous value for the price:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1082853

Rob43
Those are for an M3 unfortunately. The GC set-up is nice because you a) get Konis, and b) they use standard race springs, so for a very reasonable price you can get new spring sets if you want to try other rates or have one set for street and one for track.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:38 PM   #4
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Those are for an M3 unfortunately. The GC set-up is nice because you a) get Konis, and b) they use standard race springs, so for a very reasonable price you can get new spring sets if you want to try other rates or have one set for street and one for track.
These M3 suspension components will work on the OP's 330Ci Bimmer.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...27&postcount=6

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Cool. Didn't know that.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: Anything with VMRs!
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Show View Post
So I've set aside some money to finally confront my very worn suspension on my 02 330Ci w/ Sport Package. I've decided I might as well go with coilovers and hence i've been doing a fair share of research that led to me deciding on ST Coilovers factoring in reviews, recommendations, and pricing.

I already have a fairly aggressive wheel/tire set up for a non-m e46 so I wanted to run this by to see if anyone has a similar or possibly even more aggressive setup coupled with coilovers.

My wheel/tire set up follows:

My worry is more towards the width and offset of these vmr v710s with the ST coilovers.

ST Coilovers Estimated Lowering Range (via Suspension Source):
Front: 1.2"-2.8" / 30-70mm
Rear: 1.2"-2.0" / 30-50mm

A few additional factors I was considering with this is having the sports package already has my car sitting a tad lower. Also, I feel like the factory springs with 160k on them are more than likely sagging. I picked up the car with 115k and prior maintenance is unknown.

With the height adjustment options of the coilovers, I feel as if I should be fine. Worst case, I am mentally prepared for rolling fenders as needed.

Thoughts? Similar setups? Did you have to roll the fenders?
Hi Fo Show!

First off: the black V710s on your e46 look great! It's good to hear also that you are taking the next step in modifying by putting your car on a set of coilovers and lowering it.

I thought I'd chime in regarding wheel/tire fitment.

You're currently running:
In our testing we show that our ideal sizing is:
Front: 18x8.5 ET35 with 225-235/40/18
Rear: 18x9.5 ET45 with 255-265/35/18

Running these wheel/tire specs should clear a lowered E46. There is two very important things to consider as well though:

How much will you be lowering your vehicle?
What will your alignment specs look like ( camber )?

The alignment specs specifically can significantly alter fitment.

I hope this information is helpful to you and helps you dial in that perfect look. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product!

Winter Wheel/Tire Sale!
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
18" wheels, 245/35/18, 265/35/18, coilovers, coilovers e46