E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2015, 12:59 AM   #21
drummerjay08

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Finally had time to work on the car a little more. I decided to go ahead and put new spark plugs in while I had it apart. Put everything back together and fired it up...still sounded the same so I immediately shut it back off. The possibility of a bad pulley crossed my mind so I took the A/C belt off and tried again. Still making the noise. I took the drive belt off and cranked it again...STILL THE SAME NOISE. I let it run just long enough for me to run around and listen for about 10 seconds. From what I could tell in that short time the sound seems most prominent above the head.

What now? Anyone have any ideas?
drummerjay08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:23 AM   #22
drummerjay08

I still don't have this fixed. I pulled the fault codes and there were a few. Most of them were misfire faults. Cleared the codes and started it up and let it idle for about a minute. Misfire codes popped back up. Cylinders 1, 2, 3, and 4. I just put new plugs in so it has to be coils. The noise still has me stumped though. I'm not so sure bad coils would make it sound like that. I'm kind of wary about buying parts until I know what the actual problem is. Not a big fan of just throwing parts at a problem in hopes of a fix. Does anyone think it could be a spun bearing or rod knock or something crazy like that. I don't think so but I've been wrong before. Someone give me some suggestions. I need this fixed. Don't like my baby being sick.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:12 AM   #23
kwise1258

My Ride: 2006 325ci Convertab
Wouldn't hurt to check the DISA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kwise1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:10 AM   #24
drummerjay08

Pulled the DISA out tonight. Good news is it's all there which means my engine didn't get hungry and eat it. Bad news is it's bad. Gonna need a new one. The metal pin basically fell out in my hand when I got the DISA out and the flap is just kind of in limp mode where it flops around everywhere. Is the DISA making that crazy noise by flopping around in there? Went ahead and installed a new OFHG tonight too since I've had one sitting there waiting for me to put it on. Also I cracked my upper intake boot so I guess I'll order one of those too. Gah.

Advice still welcome. Hope I can figure this out.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:22 AM   #25
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjay08 View Post
Pulled the DISA out tonight. Good news is it's all there which means my engine didn't get hungry and eat it. Bad news is it's bad. Gonna need a new one. The metal pin basically fell out in my hand when I got the DISA out and the flap is just kind of in limp mode where it flops around everywhere. Is the DISA making that crazy noise by flopping around in there? Went ahead and installed a new OFHG tonight too since I've had one sitting there waiting for me to put it on. Also I cracked my upper intake boot so I guess I'll order one of those too. Gah.

Advice still welcome. Hope I can figure this out.
check the vacuum on the disa, if the flap is broken you can remove the lever cover and hold the lever to see if the vacuum is good, if so, rebuild it, it will be better and cheaper

http://www.germanautosolutions.com/b...repair_kit.php

http://www.germanautosolutions.com/d...sa_kit_diy.php

my disa made no noise, i doubt that is the noise you hear

sounds like a water pump going out to me , just a guess................is your fan wobbly? if it's orig wp, i'd replace that and ditch the clutch fan for an elec puller

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 09-04-2015 at 06:28 AM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #26
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Replace the lower intake boot if it's as old as the upper one...
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #27
drummerjay08

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
check the vacuum on the disa, if the flap is broken you can remove the lever cover and hold the lever to see if the vacuum is good, if so, rebuild it, it will be better and cheaper

http://www.germanautosolutions.com/b...repair_kit.php

http://www.germanautosolutions.com/d...sa_kit_diy.php

my disa made no noise, i doubt that is the noise you hear

sounds like a water pump going out to me , just a guess................is your fan wobbly? if it's orig wp, i'd replace that and ditch the clutch fan for an elec puller
Thanks for the links.

I've already ruled out the water pump by removing the drive belt and starting the car briefly. There was no change whatsoever in the sound when I did that.

Also my car has an electric fan so it's not a fan clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franz View Post
Replace the lower intake boot if it's as old as the upper one...
That's my plan. Probably do CCV too. Anything else I might as well do while I'm at it?

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get this sound fixed
Old 09-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #28
glhx

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Of course you will get it fixed.
This is what I would do first.

Get software.......good software. Inpa........you need this to own your car any and it's $36 on eBay. It will give you all live data
You can check for coils firing, it does cylinder performance, fuel trims. Your not in the dark but your more in the dark than someone who has access to all that information. Your looking at a Mechanical failure and you may have one. You also might not and the software will point you as to what's wrong with the cylinders.

I would check compression to see how the valves are doing.
Stuck valve guide, sticking lifter, piston slap, rocker arm loose, broken valve spring, and any other rotating part.

This is more than likely not a disa type of problem. It seems very much rpm mechanical related. Bmw designed an engine that doesn't need a lot of work in the top end or lower end if it's taken car of. A lot of us have not been in that far. It's not like my old v8 where I just change the whole top end of the engine because I'm bored and think it needs a bigger intake. It's more complicated than that.

Does it increase with rpm.....post video of that.

You have multiple rotating parts throwing harmonics that could be coming from anywhere. I had a bad fan clutch.....it sounded like what you have but was much more forward in the engine. Truth is I couldn't tell where it came from until I could physically shake it when the car was off. It literally sounded no different that what you have.

My RAV4 had a clunking sound in the suspension. Turned out to be a loose shock. I took apart the whole drivers side of the front wheel, control arm, strut, axle, and tie rod. Just to find that when I did the damned suspension overhaul, the shock nut backed out 4 threads because it just wasn't tight enough and I don't torque stuff like that.. What took me several hours to remove and inspect......literally took 10 seconds to fix. Humans have no ear for harmonics. I was looking at all that lower suspension stuff only to find out it wasn't lower at all. It was under the hood under a rubber boot. Must have looked at it 20 times. I spent $275 replacing the lower control arm. Sure I helped and probably needed it but that's not the point. You have problem and that's obvious. Now it's time to dive in and start critically thinking about it. Another thing I would do is post that video on hotrodders.com in the engine section. They have guys there who build the biggest meanest race engines in the United States and they break all the time. People with experience like that know about engines in general.....bmw or not.

Also.....go to realoem.com and look at the exploded view of how the engine is set up.

Just suggestions.......

Last edited by glhx; 09-04-2015 at 12:42 PM.
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330ci, knock, tick, vanos, vanos help