E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #21
jcantelon

My Ride: 2001 330cic
Lightbulb Cover part #10 I think

This is the little spring loaded cover on each side above the passenger seat on the ledge of the body on the E46 convertible. I accidentally pressed my elbow against one and it popped down into the cavity below it. I could not find a way to reattach it so went to the dealer where a young man there figured it out in about 30 seconds. With the top down, activate the top up button until the tonneau cover lifts free and then get someone to hold it there or use something to prop it up. You then have full access to this cavity and can easily reinsert the little cover in it's proper place. Victoria BMW didn't charge me for doing this task. I would never have figured it out.
John
jcantelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #22
Jib01

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
Thumbs Up Cover install thanks

Started a thread in M3forum about this and some guys answered and pointed to this forum. Just what I needed to install my cover. There is a used 330 convertible at a dealer I will take some picture of the install. Thanks again for the posts....
Regards
Jib01`
Jib01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #23
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
That would be me, you're welcome.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #24
Jib01

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
Thumbs Up Completed the install of cover and springs

See M3forum

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...p?p=1066812787

Regards
Jib01
Jib01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #25
grwhitaker

My Ride: M3
Repairing cover

A problem these covers have is that the end of the spring breaks through the tab that secures it; there is a crack in the tab and the spring slips through it.
Is there a way to repair it? Does epoxy work? Can the plastic be melted to seal the crack? At $35 bucks a pop these defectively made covers are an irritating replacement requirement.
grwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #26
Bmill160

My Ride: 2001 M3 Vert
Are you sure you have it installed correctly? (Not questioning your skill or knowledge) but the spring should fail before the cover. Otherwise, it should slide freely within its track. If anything heavy is set on it or it has been banged up, I've had the track break, or the prongs on the cover... but that isn't from normal wear and tear.

Just my $0.02.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #27
grwhitaker

spring in latch

the end of the spring is u shaped and i put it through the tab in the middle of the underside of the cover. The cover works fine for a few years, slides easily, but then the spring breaks through the tab.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #28
Bmill160

My Ride: 2001 M3 Vert
Interesting, I may just never have been lucky enough for that to happen. My guess is with a part like that, which can bake in the sun, epoxy won't be a solution you'll be happy with. Might be stuck buying a replacement part.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #29
lmattiso

My Ride: 2003 E46 Convertible
If mine break, I'll do this. Pretty obvious but I would never have thought of it.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1086409
lmattiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #30
grwhitaker

Drilling a new hole in the tab

Thanks for the idea. Good one. I will try it out.

Tags
convertible, cover, insert