E46 box relay clicking no start - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 11:20 PM   #1
Mitchell_friedman

My Ride: 325xi
E46 box relay clicking no start

my e46 sometimes when i turn key to on position a relay under e-box starts clicking rapidly and car wouldn't start just keeps cranking over, after a while of clicking fuel pump finally turns on and car will start. i replaced fuel injector relay and fuel pump relay under glovebox but i still am getting that rapid on off clicking every once and a while and car takes a while to start. could be maby low voltage to that relay? could it be a different relay? also when it clicks, my decline assist button flashes green and thats when car won't start just cranks over a bunch until the light turns solid green and the clicking noise stops coming from the e-box and then the car starts right up. please help! what other relay could it be that would cause that? what is the voltage that should be running to the relay terminals? i would like to set to see if i have proper voltage.
Mitchell_friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:15 AM   #2
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
There is a DME relay that could be doing it.

Open your e-box to see which one.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptain
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The relays are all 12VDC. What's the status of your battery. The ECU provides a found to each relay coil at the appropriate time. That is, the coil receives 12VDC on one terminal and the ECU provides the ground. The 2 together make the relay contacts come together. If the coil is receiving low voltage from the battery the ground from the ECU will not work properly.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Measure your battery voltage. It must be 12.6V or higher. I bet your battery is shot.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:40 PM   #5
Mitchell_friedman

E46 coolant

Just replaced thermostat and there was a conciderable amount of copper looking metal shavings in the coolant i can even seea pile ontop of the floatstick in the resevor. What could possibly put that in the coolant? Water pump impeller??
Old 10-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #6
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Probably the pump bearing. It's probably bronze. I recommend you perform a cooling system overhaul. See Mango's sticky.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 300K miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell_friedman View Post
Just replaced thermostat and there was a conciderable amount of copper looking metal shavings in the coolant i can even seea pile ontop of the floatstick in the resevor. What could possibly put that in the coolant? Water pump impeller??
Sounds like "BARS Leaks" --stuff you add to coolant to stop leaks...like leaks that might have come from an overheat.

Did you get your car in the last few months? If so, I'd drain, rinse, until the system is clear of that stuff. Use water...distilled with the final rinse...and find your leak. It's either in the system itself somewhere or the head/headgasket, or possibly from the cabin heating system (probably not this).

Find leak first...that will determine where to go next.

On your clicking, find the exact source of it and that will tell you how to deal with that. Which relay is clicking?

hth

Please view this vid so it looks like I'm popular. Please! https://youtu.be/995gLmVEVZk

dmax on Facebook

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
Mitchell_friedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Sounds like "BARS Leaks" --stuff you add to coolant to stop leaks...like leaks that might have come from an overheat.

Did you get your car in the last few months? If so, I'd drain, rinse, until the system is clear of that stuff. Use water...distilled with the final rinse...and find your leak. It's either in the system itself somewhere or the head/headgasket, or possibly from the cabin heating system (probably not this).

Find leak first...that will determine where to go next.

On your clicking, find the exact source of it and that will tell you how to deal with that. Which relay is clicking?

hth
Thanks for info, when i put car on my lifts i noticed the shitty plastic drain screw on the radiator was all mangled looked like the owner before me could have stripped it or broke it and still tried to make it work. That may be why they put the leak prevention stuff in. Also on the side of the resevor tank there is like a hairline fracture that may have been leaking fluid, hard to tell. But also how to i flush system? Just drain, fill, run, drain,fill, run, repeat? Or is there somtjing that can be hooked up to push clean water through the system

Tags
e46, no start