E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 06:28 AM   #1
tmathers03

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330xi
Water pump failure, parts questions

Hey, over the weekend I had a water pump failure. Have some input on a few things i noticed before the failure which I will post to this thread tonight.

Just want to get the questions out there so I can get parts ordered.

Front bearing on pump is completely gone. I took the pump off. I plan on replacing the pump, O-ring gasket. What else would be a good idea to replace. Thinking about the thermostat housing? Also the pulley is plastic no visual cracks or damage. I see the new Genuine BMW brand pumps have a composite impeller. The pump I removed has a metal impeller. Has anyone used the composite ones?

Any info on parts to replace and info on metal or composite impeller would be greatly appreciated.
tmathers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
if your cooling system has never been serviced it's a good idea to replace everything. even the radiator. my water pump, radiator, and expansion tank all failed within 5k miles of each other. all of them will leave you stranded.

the composite impeller is fine. i've had mine running for years now without problem.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
pump and thermostat are always suggested.

on this forum now you'll hear people say to just replace it all. although having all new is a good thing, i'm not about replacing parts blindly that might have 100,000 miles use left in them. so how many miles on your car and has anything been replaced?

if you don't know history of parts and parts like WP are going out then it's a good chance system is worn/neglected. seeing how important the cooling system is in the M52/M54 it's often best to bite the bullet and replace most of the system.
but import things are WP, T-stat and expansion tank.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
JFM330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Check the condition of the belt you just took off. Any cracks I would replace it also since you have it dangling at this point. Check your hoses too for signs of wear. If the expansion tank is the original, it's just a matter of time before it fails.

2002 330i auto
1999 323i 5 speed
2013 Úlantra 6 speed
2010 rogue AWD
2003 eclipse GTS 5 speed
1995 celica st 5 speed

2007 gsxr 750.....track weapon!
JFM330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
Cat-Dancer

My Ride: 330CI
I will be doing the same thing on my 02 tomorrow. Been noticing low on anti-freeze the last month or so. Cleaned up everything under the car and notice this afternoon anti-freeze dripping off of the sway bar. Replaced it about 8 years ago. Not bad for a car with over 225,000 miles. Also replaced one on my 2000 Silverado with 333,456 miles.
Cat-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:21 AM   #6
av516

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP IB
its really a no brainer to do a cooling system overhaul for any E46 now...
the youngest E46 is almost 9 years old
all the thermoplastic parts are past their designed life by now
its 400-500 from OEMbimmerparts its not too bad of a job
best of luck
Old 05-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
GreekYogurtGod

My Ride: 2000 328i Sedan
Saleri or BMW composite pump is good. Mango has a really good writeup on the cooling system of our cars http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109
GreekYogurtGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 300K miles
Do all three pulleys...and belts...and ET...and if you don't know the hoses have been done, do them...in other words, full Mangofication!

If money is tight, you can save yourself some headaches...at least do pump and therm as mentioned above. You can also 'just' replace the o-rings in the hoses to save you some headaches.

Fill first time with distilled water...then a second time even. Make sure it's clean when you put BMW coolant in.
Upcoming comedy shows: March 3 at Broadway Comedy Club, NYC, 8 p.m. March 5, Tierney's Tavern, Montclair, NJ, 7:30 p.m. See Facebook for other shows and PM me if you can make one...love to see you there!

Facebook.com/DMAXstandup
Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
sk8ersublime

My Ride: 2001 330Xi
Another do it all. First I just did the Radiator and the Expansion tank and cap because they were leaking. I wanted to just do the entire thing but i talked myself out of it, Then a few thousand miles later, the thermostat went. Then a few more miles BAM the water pump went and took the pullies with it. Then A few weeks after that I started smelling coolant and the screw on the upper hose popped under pressure......save yourself the headache and do it all now.
sk8ersublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #10
Travis424

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
I agree on doing it all. If its affordable for you just replace everything and have some piece of mind. Having to pay for a tow truck when you are stranded on the side of the road gets pricey. Trust me it happened to me twice because of my cooling system. First my expansion tank failed and then about a week later after it was replaced my radiator failed. I'm also sure the people at best buy will never look at me the same for spilling all my coolant on their brand new parking lot. A massive stain I feel compelled to park next to each time I go there If you have the slightest bit of mechanical know how do it yourself and save a lot of money. It's really not a hard job. I learned the hard way and after 2 tow trucks a mechanic and then eventually doing a lot of the work myself it came to around $1800. If i just replaced everything myself it would have easily been under $800. That's using mostly OEM parts I did go for the Saleri water pump.

Last edited by Travis424; 05-17-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Travis424 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, thermostat, water pump