E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
muzzasee

My Ride: BMW 325Ci
Revs dipping/stalling, 325Ci

Hi folks, would just like to introduce myself and say what a great and helpful site this is for info and advice. I have went from knowing absolute ZERO about car problems, to diagnosing a coolant leak and replacing my radiator and cooling sensors in my recently purchased 325Ci, easily and without problems all just from researching on the forum and watching D.I.Y. videos, and for that I thank the members.

Really enjoyed fixing it myself and learning about the engine, and now itching to solve the next issue, which is a bit more complicated for me to diagnose. When i press on accelerator the revs are dipping slightly before climbing, sometimes dipping so much it stalls.

I've uploaded a video of the symptoms -

Car has done 104k, these symptoms are intermittent and usually only occur when the car is warm. i.e. Nip to supermarket, start car from cold, 10 - 15 min spin, no symptoms. Back in house for 10 mins, realize i have forgot the milk, go to nip back to super market and when i start the car i get these symptoms. Sometimes the car will stall its so bad (annoying at traffic lights), but after doing a few miles in the car the symptoms disappear, although I have had power loss in 2nd gear when it hits about 4-5k revs happen to me a few times.

Any help or advice is much appreciated, but go easy on me as my only experience is changing a radiator in my BMW today. (Thanks to you guys).

p.s. this is my first time joining a forum so not sure if i'm even posting this properly
muzzasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The first step in diagnosing a problem in a modern car is to have the engine management computer (aka ECU and DME) scanned for codes. The code reader plugs into the connector that's on the underside of the dashboard. The Service Engine Soon (SES) (aka Check Engine Light (CEL)) light doesn't have to be illuminated for codes to be present. The SES/CEL light is illuminated only when there's an emissions related problem.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
muzzasee

Thanks for the info. Any idea how much it would cost the get the codes? I don't have a reader. I see there are guides online to get the codes without a reader and I'm a give it a try kinda guy lol so might have a go at it if taking the car to a garage is costly. (I'm tighter than 2 coats of paint ha)
Old 05-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
muzzasee

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/151806182574 Is this a good enough reader to get the codes?

Or this one? (Way cheaper) https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/360501632875

Last edited by muzzasee; 05-08-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #5
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Codes can be read for free at auto zone right? Someone correct me, I just use PA Soft (BMW software I highly recommend you getting). If you get no codes, and the idle drops are in the cold, you could be looking at VANOS seals.
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #6
BustinMyWallet

My Ride: 04/2004 325i
Autozone, Advance, O'Reillys and other chain auto parts stores will scan your car for codes for free (at least the ones by me do, not sure about other countries). Whatever codes you get out of your car is a good place to start. Code readers are fairly cheap too, you can get a basic one for around $25, and it should be able to scan engine codes. More expensive code readers will actually tell you what the code is on the screen - for example, it might say P0306 - Engine cylinder misfire cylinder #6. A basic scan tool will only give you the code, you'll have to google what the code means.

RPM's dipping at idle or surging at idle could be caused by a dirty or faulty idle control valve - checking it is free, so that'd be a good place to start. Someone on bimmerfest made a pretty good write-up with pictures on how to clean the ICV, you can find it here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248979

There's other things that could cause those symptoms too, but I've had idle issues in the past with other cars and usually it's been related to the idle air control valve. Good luck, and get those engine codes scanned.

148k on auto trans and still going strong!
BustinMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:48 AM   #7
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustinMyWallet View Post
Autozone, Advance, O'Reillys and other chain auto parts stores will scan your car for codes for free (at least the ones by me do, not sure about other countries). Whatever codes you get out of your car is a good place to start. Code readers are fairly cheap too, you can get a basic one for around $25, and it should be able to scan engine codes. More expensive code readers will actually tell you what the code is on the screen - for example, it might say P0306 - Engine cylinder misfire cylinder #6. A basic scan tool will only give you the code, you'll have to google what the code means.

RPM's dipping at idle or surging at idle could be caused by a dirty or faulty idle control valve - checking it is free, so that'd be a good place to start. Someone on bimmerfest made a pretty good write-up with pictures on how to clean the ICV, you can find it here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248979

There's other things that could cause those symptoms too, but I've had idle issues in the past with other cars and usually it's been related to the idle air control valve. Good luck, and get those engine codes scanned.

OP is in Scotland!!

The dipping idle is an indication of a vacuum leak. But, as noted, have the engine computer scanned for codes. That ALWAYZ the first step. Also, please remember that codes are SYMPTOMS and not solutions.

OP, if you have a smartphone you can buy the app called OBDFusion. It's available in iTunes and the android App Store. You'll need an interface device that plugs into the obd2 port under the dash.
- iOS: wifi
- android: Bluetooth
OBDFusion allows you to check and clear codes, log various data streams (i.e., O2 sensors, air flow rate) and export the logged data. Very useful app!

Last edited by markusmarkus; 05-09-2016 at 06:51 AM.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 AM   #8
BustinMyWallet

My Ride: 04/2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
OP is in Scotland!!

[...] Also, please remember that codes are SYMPTOMS and not solutions.
I realize this, that's why I said
Quote:
(at least the ones by me do, not sure about other countries). Whatever codes you get out of your car is a good place to start.
The code could be a p0505 (idle air control system malfunctioning), which could indicate a faulty IAC and be a starting point for diagnostics.

It could also be a p0442 (small evap leak) or a p0455 (large evap leak), or it could be any number of other DTC's as well, which would again be a starting point to diagnose the issue. I never said that scanning codes was a solution, just that it's a place to start diagnostics.

148k on auto trans and still going strong!
BustinMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
muzzasee

Thanks for all the info guys. Think I will buy a reader as it's useful to have and also get the OBDfusion app.
Got no time at the moment to deal with it as I'm working 12-14hr shifts 7 days a week, which sucks because the hot weather is here which brings the engine up to temperature within minutes which brings on these symptoms. So correct me if I am wrong, but if the car isn't doing this when cold I can rule out a vanos problem?
Old 05-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #10
Anthr76

My Ride: Alpine White 325Ci

Looks like a faulty intake cam shaft sensor. Had it happen to me

Last edited by Anthr76; 05-12-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Anthr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #11
muzzasee

Hey folks, took the car to garage to get codes and got:

41 - camshaft signal inlet
BF - insufficient heat output, oxygen sensor behind catalysator bank 2

Mechanic suspects it to be vanos problem and said it could just be dirty oil and persuaded me to let him do an engine flush/oil change. Ran the car for a week and the symptoms were showing less often, but still there.

Took it back to get it hooked up to computer again and the same 2 codes showed up so the mechanic is now saying he is "90% sure" it's a vanos problem.
Cost me 150 all in, for getting the codes and flush/oil change.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #12
Anthr76

My Ride: Alpine White 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzasee View Post
Hey folks, took the car to garage to get codes and got:

41 - camshaft signal inlet
BF - insufficient heat output, oxygen sensor behind catalysator bank 2

Mechanic suspects it to be vanos problem and said it could just be dirty oil and persuaded me to let him do an engine flush/oil change. Ran the car for a week and the symptoms were showing less often, but still there.

Took it back to get it hooked up to computer again and the same 2 codes showed up so the mechanic is now saying he is "90% sure" it's a vanos problem.
Cost me 150 all in, for getting the codes and flush/oil change.
Still sounds like intake can shaft sensor. Had same symptoms. It's about 100$ give it a shot
Anthr76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325ci, revs dipping, stalling