E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2016, 02:36 AM   #1
RO81KO

My Ride: E46 330Ci
E46 330CI - Door Unlocking Problem

Hey Guys,

I have a 2001 E46 330CI with door lock problems.

I know that there are probably 100+ posts about this, however, after reading those and threads I still can't find any solution.

When I press unlock on my key fob, it makes the sound that the doors are unlocking, however, the actual pin on the door lock doesn't go up, requiring me to unlock manually with the key. To open the passenger door, I have to get in the car and pull on the internal door lever to open it. The centre button doesn't work either.

To lock all doors, I can use the key fob and it works perfectly.

My problem is, it used to all work, then after time, the driver's side door stopped unlocking, then the passenger side and now the centre control too.

I have changed the actuator on the driver's side - didn't fix anything.
Checked and changed all relevant fuses (in the glovebox) - didn't fix anything.
Changed over the GM5 module - didn't fix anything.
Tried resetting key fob - didn't fix anything.

Any ideas or direction anyone can point me in to get this problem fixed?

Thanks guys, all info would be much appreciated.

Robby.

Instagram: @DJROBIKO
Facebook: www.facebook.com/djrobiko.trigger
Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/djrobiko
RO81KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Did you change that driver's door actuator with a brand new one? If not, then put a brand new one in.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:45 AM   #3
RO81KO

Hey scottjoh,

I didn't change it over with a brand new one, it was a second hand one. When I put it in, it did exactly the same as my existing one. Locked doors with the key fob, but still didn't unlock.

Do you think changing it over to a brand new one will resolve this issue?

Old 09-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
BUDGET76

My Ride: 03' M3 & 95' 330TI
I had my 330XI randomly do this to me the other day. The key would trigger the unlock, but it was like there wasn't enough 'juice' to push the lock pins all the way up. Middle button didn't do anything.

I played with it for a little, quite confused. Wound up reprogramming/re-synching my key and it fixed the issue. I know you said you tried, but may be worth doing again.
BUDGET76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
scottjoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO81KO View Post
Hey scottjoh,

I didn't change it over with a brand new one, it was a second hand one. When I put it in, it did exactly the same as my existing one. Locked doors with the key fob, but still didn't unlock.

Do you think changing it over to a brand new one will resolve this issue?

ALWAYS use brand new actuators. NEVER use used actuators.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #6
scottjoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDGET76 View Post
I had my 330XI randomly do this to me the other day. The key would trigger the unlock, but it was like there wasn't enough 'juice' to push the lock pins all the way up. Middle button didn't do anything.

I played with it for a little, quite confused. Wound up reprogramming/re-synching my key and it fixed the issue. I know you said you tried, but may be worth doing again.

Resyncing does nothing. That is just a coincidence. Your problem is a bad general module.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
RO81KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
ALWAYS use brand new actuators. NEVER use used actuators.
Thanks for the info.

Do you think i'd need to change both driver's and passenger doors actuators over to brand new ones?

Old 09-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #8
e4six03

I had same problem with my car, you need to take out the unit on the center console that has the hazard light switch too. Mine was broken from years of pushing down on it. I use electrical tape and wrap the bottom tightly and it solve the issue.
e4six03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #9
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RO81KO View Post
When I press unlock on my key fob, it makes the sound that the doors are unlocking, however, the actual pin on the door lock doesn't go up, requiring me to unlock manually with the key.
Mine started doing this a few days ago. The key works fine in the lock and the Center Console button functions perfectly as does the NEW key I got a few months ago. I guess I need to replace the battery in the original key?

Edit: So I had another key (that is the wrong frequency for my car) that is new and decided I would use the battery from it. Opened it up just fine. Can't seem to get the original key open and finally gave up after mangling it. Is it not meant to come apart? Of course, it now works perfect as I heard the car door locks and trunk open from the kitchen where I was working. Go figure. All I did was use another key and now both work perfect.

Last edited by All2kool; 09-13-2016 at 02:37 PM.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330ci, doors, e46, problems, unlocking