E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
nkarcher

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Doors will not unlock!! HELP!

Just recently purchased a 2001 330CI. It is not a convertible. The key fob will not unlock the door. I can hear it try to cycle, and the interior lights come on, but the door does not unlock. This is happening on both doors, but the fuel door unlocks with no problem. The Key fob will lock the doors and open the trunk with no problems. The center console button is not working either. I can hear the fuse clicking when i press it, but that is all. To unlock the passenger side door, I have to repeatedly press the button in the cabin and pull on the handle from the inside and sometimes even this does not help. If it is the actuators, is it going to be a tough fix???
nkarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkarcher View Post
Just recently purchased a 2001 330CI. It is not a convertible. The key fob will not unlock the door. I can hear it try to cycle, and the interior lights come on, but the door does not unlock. This is happening on both doors, but the fuel door unlocks with no problem. The Key fob will lock the doors and open the trunk with no problems. The center console button is not working either. I can hear the fuse clicking when i press it, but that is all. To unlock the passenger side door, I have to repeatedly press the button in the cabin and pull on the handle from the inside and sometimes even this does not help. If it is the actuators, is it going to be a tough fix???
www.bmwgm5.com

Email Scott with the details you have here.

Sounds like bad GM5 relays. Scott can replace them if needed.

Also you NEED to purchase an addition keyfob if you only have one.

Bite the bullet and do it now before you are sorry.

Read this link - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1008294

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 07-29-2014 at 07:19 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
nkarcher

I emailed Scott and he does not think it is module because i have never been able to unlock the door.
nkarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
The coupes are different than the sedans, however, Scott knows the central locking best. It would be unusual that both door lock actuators are bad. Since you indicated the interior light comes on, this means the keyfob is working.

Be careful as the drivers door key link is designed to be weak to reduce theft and break-ins. If the link breaks using the key, you will be in TROUBLE. Get the central locking fixed ASAP.

It may actually be the car battery as well, might as well get that checked and tested.

You can bring up the Voltage on the OBC on the dash, see the 4th link below in my signature. 12.6 Volts is a fully charged battery. Expect to see about 12.4 Volts on the OBC. 12.0 Volts is a battery that only has about a 25% charge.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 AM   #5
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkarcher View Post
Yup, sounds like the actuators are probably bad since the door unlock problem is all the time and not intermittent and you say the fuel door unlocks with no problem. The fuel door is wired in parallel with the double lock motors in the door actuators. The actuators are a pain to replace. Parts are about $140 a side, you will need an E7 socket to loosen the reverse threaded window bolts. You will also need a 1/4" torque wrench, all the torque specs for all the bolts you touch and a SRS reset tool. It takes me about 1 to 1-1/4 hours per door and I've done a bunch of them. The first time will probably take you 2 to 2-1/2 hours. There is a very slight chance the problems are all caused by the module and not the actuators, but, again it's a very slight chance. There is a moderate chance that both actuators and the module are bad.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
burkebvirginpulse

2001 330ci also recently purchased with 50k miles (south florida car). within 6 months of owning, one day the fobs don't unlock the car and the center console unlock doesn't work and the passenger door will NOT open (neither pulling handle from inside, nor fob, nor center console). can't get into fuel door either.
BMW dealer (for $125 diagnostic fee - yuk) said it was bad GM5 and for $1,200 they'd be glad to replace it.
Called Scott who actually answered phone on a Saturday and after talking to him and the possibility it is a GM5 problem, for the $100 chance, I sent him the GM5
Man was that a good move. Within a week he sent it back 'repaired' and now everything is perfect.
I had to re-program my fobs, but that's simple by watching . Note: to do additional fobs, after doing key#1 successfully, quickly grab key#2, hold down the unlock & press the lock 3 times then let go. your second key will now be programmed too.
burkebvirginpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
System77

My Ride: 2004 330ci 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkebvirginpulse View Post
I had to re-program my fobs, but that's simple by watching Note: to do additional fobs, after doing key#1 successfully, quickly grab key#2, hold down the unlock & press the lock 3 times then let go. your second key will now be programmed too.

Can this be done with any other fob? I have 3 unused keys from cars that are now wrecked - all 330ci but of different years.

Last edited by System77; 09-29-2016 at 12:17 PM.
System77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330ci, actuator, door, lock, unlock