E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #21
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyneff View Post
Well now the entire system is replaced and it's no longer overheating but now I have a leak coming from underneath the brand new expansion tank I put in a month ago. I Can't win
Your expansion tank wasn't pressed down properly.

Read this: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...42&postcount=5
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #22
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
The ET isn't sitting down properly - I realize it's frustrating - perhaps use some lube on the o-rings on the bottom of the ET to get them to slide down and lock

BMW-North E46 Electric Fan Guide

Download a clean working copy of BMW Standard Tools with Special Tests for e46 :
Single NRG file: Complete BMW Standard Tools Suite You will also need ISO Workshop (free edition - linked) to create the install directory (image) or disk. NRG file: 347,183 Kb
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:44 AM   #23
codyneff

My Ride: 325i
Sorry it took so long for an update guys but I've been caught up at work and low on funds. Now I've done an entire overhaul with damn near everything oem parts. (Radiator, water pump, expansion tank, cap) however the thermostat I got from oreillys just for times sake and it is STILL overheating after multiple bleeds with ignition on heat on 91 fan speed on low and front raised. At this point I was at my wits end so I decided to have it towed to a European car mechanic. When he called me at about 4 he said he had pressure tested the system and said there was no leaks and that the leak I was seeing was from the system over pressurizing and coming out of the et cap. Has anyone ever heard of this before?
codyneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #24
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyneff View Post
Sorry it took so long for an update guys but I've been caught up at work and low on funds. Now I've done an entire overhaul with damn near everything oem parts. (Radiator, water pump, expansion tank, cap) however the thermostat I got from oreillys just for times sake and it is STILL overheating after multiple bleeds with ignition on heat on 91 fan speed on low and front raised. At this point I was at my wits end so I decided to have it towed to a European car mechanic. When he called me at about 4 he said he had pressure tested the system and said there was no leaks and that the leak I was seeing was from the system over pressurizing and coming out of the et cap. Has anyone ever heard of this before?
Have a compression test done on each cylinder. It could be a blown head gasket, which often pushes cylinder gases into the cooling system causing overpressure and usually overheating.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #25
gtr_gtti

My Ride: 1999 E46 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Have a compression test done on each cylinder. It could be a blown head gasket, which often pushes cylinder gases into the cooling system causing overpressure and usually overheating.
i think i have this problem
gtr_gtti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #26
codyneff

Just got a call from my mechanic and he said I have a warped/cracked head. Guess it's time to start looking at my options. It was nice for the month it lasted.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #27
BMW-North

That's too bad. I feel for you. Happened to a friend of one of my kids. Po had tried to hide the leaking head using head gasket stop leak. Eventually the pressure buildup came back and hoses would blow off. One of the things that is a good sign of a suspected snake oil head gasket fix is a lack of heat at idle on a warm engine. The sealer clogs the heater core and little heat enters the cabin unless the rpms get very high. I always test heaters at idle when checking used cars.

Karma will get the guy.

Download a clean working copy of BMW Standard Tools with Special Tests for e46 :
Single NRG file: Complete BMW Standard Tools Suite You will also need ISO Workshop (free edition - linked) to create the install directory (image) or disk. NRG file: 347,183 Kb
Old 01-14-2017, 02:41 AM   #28
codyneff

Just some extra information for you guys and to hopefully get some insight on what this may possibly be I'm going to give an update on this. After a few months of not being able to work on the car I have been messing with some possibilities the past few days. Turns out the heater core is clogged for some reason so as I worked on getting that unclogged I drove it for a good 40 minutes or so without overheating. And unfortunately it started again. I have figured out the thermostat I replaced was faulty. I'm thinking I may not have gotten all of it out of the heater core so I need some advice for after I replace the heater core. If that does not fix the overheating issue what are some more possibilities of what could be causing my overheating here. The car can idle all day long and will not overheat but as soon as you start driving that's when the overheating starts. There is no loss of power. Is there any sensors or valves that could cause this? I really appreciate the help
Old 01-14-2017, 06:20 AM   #29
BMW-North

Cody - The previous owner likely used Stop Leak - that has jammed the heater core but that isn't causing the overheat. See my earlier post.

Unfortunately there is no fixing this issue by replacing peripheral parts. The head gasket is leaking. Whoever sold the car to you tried to hide the head gasket leak by using a snake oil solution which inadvertently also clogs the heater core. Don't throw any more money at it unless it is for a head gasket or engine replacement.

The use of Stop Leak by the previous owner destroyed your heater core and caused other coolant component issues. The small tubes in a heater core have spiral bars inside to slow down the flow of coolant and transfer more heat to the metal. Stop Leak Sealer clogs this. One of the reasons I always test the heater of a used car at idle is to see if the heater blows hot air. If it doesn't often the core is blocked from a sealer - usually to mask symptoms of a blown or leaking head gasket.

What happens is gases from the cylinders are leaking into the coolant via the blown head gasket and causing the pressure to build in your cooling system - this pressure will blow plastic parts up.

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-14-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #30
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Put a good used low mileage 330 engine in there. You can find a 75k mile 330 motor for around $1,500 on car-part.com.

Tags
cooling, overheating