E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #21
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groznyy_Volk View Post
If it comes down to bent valves, I may as well put her up for a year and save up for an S54. Hoping it doesn't come to that though.
I swapped out the alternator today. Figured that I should start with the known issue and get that out of the way. Also noticed that my intake boot was ripped. Praying that is my only problem at this point. In any case I plan on doing a compression test before driving her anywhere.

All future updates will be on my "build"/ownership/maintenance thread here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...1082236&page=4
It's done, dude.

Look for a used engine. They're not that expensive.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:18 AM   #22
BiH55

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
I remember shifting from 2nd into 1st instead of 3rd. The car went sideway and the tires locking up. Luckily nothing happened
BiH55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #23
WDE46

The only good thing about a money shift to first rather than, say, 2nd at a higher speed is that the engine has the most leverage to prevent an overrev in that gear.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #24
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
I don't get how these shifts happen going into first. My car - I can get it into 1st only when the car is going slowing/coming to a stop. Most manuals do not have synchros on first and I can't imagine the force it would take to get it into first at more than 10 mph at most. Been driving manuals on Subaru's, Honda's, and now the BMW and never could shift into first at any real speed from any other gear. Even when I was tracking the Honda and BMW - never came close to it.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #25
Non-Affiliated

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonRed View Post
I don't get how these shifts happen going into first. My car - I can get it into 1st only when the car is going slowing/coming to a stop. Most manuals do not have synchros on first and I can't imagine the force it would take to get it into first at more than 10 mph at most. Been driving manuals on Subaru's, Honda's, and now the BMW and never could shift into first at any real speed from any other gear. Even when I was tracking the Honda and BMW - never came close to it.
Not sure about first, but I'm pretty sure that my car has syncros between 2-3. Funny thing is that I, for a while now, have had instances where she doesn't want to go into 3rd. Usually, I am able to force it into it but it takes a good push. That actually happened once or twice on the cruise leading up to the incident. I guess that's what led to my unfortunate downshift, was trying to shift too quickly and it slipped into first .

2001 330i 5-speed

Insta: @ivans_in_danger

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Non-Affiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #26
Quadcammer

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Most manuals do not have synchros on first
simply not true. Lots of performance cars have steel synchros on lower gears (instead of brass), so they can be tougher to get into first and 2nd. They also use triple cone synchros on lower gears in some instances.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #27
CylonRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
simply not true. Lots of performance cars have steel synchros on lower gears (instead of brass), so they can be tougher to get into first and 2nd. They also use triple cone synchros on lower gears in some instances.
Ok - but are they going to be able to get the gears together at multi-thousand RPM. I have not tried putting some serious effort into it but I can't get my shifter into first until I am going very slow. Can't imagine the whine the synchos would make to match the gears.

Can't get my head around how these money shifts can happen.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #28
WDE46

Quote:
Ok - but are they going to be able to get the gears together at multi-thousand RPM. I have not tried putting some serious effort into it but I can't get my shifter into first until I am going very slow. Can't imagine the whine the synchos would make to match the gears.

Can't get my head around how these money shifts can happen.

Bad shift technique

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Old 02-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #29
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

Heck, reverse is synchronized in my car's tranny. Samo fir my 1985 325e.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #30
CylonRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Bad shift technique
I tried to do the high second to first shift last night - about 3500 rpm and 30ish mph. It did go in with less first than I thought it would but I had to really think about it to keep the lever from going to the right for 3rd.

Tags
coil, downshift, injector, misfire, p1345