E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 419 votes, 4.68 average.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #3441
RRRM8E

My Ride: 330Ci
Are we looking at the right side?
RRRM8E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #3442
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: ..
Passenger side, yes. From below

Sent via the internets
Old 03-25-2017, 05:56 AM   #3443
gspadez

My Ride: 2003 330i
After months of a slow leak and drip, which turned into a weekly fill up.. and trying to trace the source of a leak.. I gave up parked the car and got to work.. 209,345 on the clock I figured I'd change anything coolant related ..which my pockets could spare .. bought thermostat housing , upper & lower coolant hoses,replaced the temp sensor o-ring since I didn't think I need to sped $45 on another. Began taking apart the car and noticed a small crack on side of radiator neck by expansion tank.. expansion tank, all pulleys and belts were previously changed at 189xxx or so.. (only other time anything was removed ) so didn't think it could have occurred that long ago.. proceeded and took everything out with a new radiator on order for pick up same day.. and man there's was literally coolant marks everywhere under the sun you can think of, needless to say there was some spraying occurring , literally everything is gunked with coolant ..even alternator and belts everything.. I replaced everything as mentioned and proceeded with the steps of refilling and bleeding out any bubbles .. all bolts are tight, even applied a gasket sealer for the thermostat housing , after a week the coolant yellow light came on? I can only I assume I didn't add enough coolant? The only thing I. Priced was a tiny drop under the lower radiator which later stopped , any help will be appreciated
gspadez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #3444
RRRM8E

Did you drive it while overheated?
May be a bad hose connection/oring. Did you get OE expansion tank?
Old 03-25-2017, 08:00 AM   #3445
Zeus262

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspadez View Post
After months of a slow leak and drip, which turned into a weekly fill up.. and trying to trace the source of a leak.. I gave up parked the car and got to work.. 209,345 on the clock I figured I'd change anything coolant related ..which my pockets could spare .. bought thermostat housing , upper & lower coolant hoses,replaced the temp sensor o-ring since I didn't think I need to sped $45 on another. Began taking apart the car and noticed a small crack on side of radiator neck by expansion tank.. expansion tank, all pulleys and belts were previously changed at 189xxx or so.. (only other time anything was removed ) so didn't think it could have occurred that long ago.. proceeded and took everything out with a new radiator on order for pick up same day.. and man there's was literally coolant marks everywhere under the sun you can think of, needless to say there was some spraying occurring , literally everything is gunked with coolant ..even alternator and belts everything.. I replaced everything as mentioned and proceeded with the steps of refilling and bleeding out any bubbles .. all bolts are tight, even applied a gasket sealer for the thermostat housing , after a week the coolant yellow light came on? I can only I assume I didn't add enough coolant? The only thing I. Priced was a tiny drop under the lower radiator which later stopped , any help will be appreciated

I had similar issue when I did my coolant flush and tons of other stuff at once like the thermostat, water pump, hoses etc. I drove the car and my light would come on and then go away so for the few days after I drove it around all day got home let it sit checked fluid level added a bit and keep repeating about 2 more times and it hasn't happened since. I first thought it was a bad head gasket eating the coolant but after looking into it it wasn't. Also check to make sure your fluid level sensor isn't damaged or bent that could also be causing the problem. Mine was slightly bent and I pulled the plug lubed it with some electrical grease and straightened the plug and again I haven't had the light come back on since.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Zeus262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #3446
RRRM8E

That would be easy enough to confirm by checking the water level.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #3447
gspadez

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRM8E View Post
Did you drive it while overheated?
May be a bad hose connection/oring. Did you get OE expansion tank?
Never over heated at all
Old 03-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #3448
gspadez

[QUOTE=Zeus262;17207477]I had similar issue when I did my coolant flush and tons of other stuff at once like the thermostat, water pump, hoses etc. I drove the car and my light would come on and then go away so for the few days after I drove it around all day got home let it sit checked fluid level added a bit and keep repeating about 2 more times and it hasn't happened since. I first thought it was a bad head gasket eating the coolant but after looking into it it wasn't. Also check to make sure your fluid level sensor isn't damaged or bent that could also be causing the problem. Mine was slightly bent and I pulled the plug lubed it with some electrical grease and straightened the plug and again I haven't had the light come back on since.

The expansion tank isnt leaking. And the level sensor is straight I bought the parts off rock auto.. the radiator from a local shop in town and the hoses BMW there a slight wiggle on the Jose and fittings but nothing seems to be dripping or leaking .. the top hose was changed recently and there's evidence of gunk coolant or a spray coming from beneath the hose
Old 03-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #3449
RRRM8E

I installed an aftermarket expansion tank, and it had a bad hose connection neck. Switched to BMW part and all was well. You might have pinched one of the o-rings in the hoses. If the level is down (rod well below rad neck when cold), it has to be going somewhere.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #3450
partialresponse

My Ride: 2004 ZHP 6Sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspadez View Post
after a week the coolant yellow light came on? I can only I assume I didn't add enough coolant? The only thing I. Priced was a tiny drop under the lower radiator which later stopped , any help will be appreciated
How much driving (actually, heat up - cool down cycles) did you do within that week? If not much is it likely the original bleeding wasn't complete? You might try bleeding and topping off again.
partialresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #3451
RRRM8E

Wouldn't hurt to bleed it again and drive it a bit. In my experience, a leak will show up on the garage floor overnight. Just keep an eye on the gauges. Also check the little hose that has real clamps.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #3452
gspadez

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRM8E View Post
Wouldn't hurt to bleed it again and drive it a bit. In my experience, a leak will show up on the garage floor overnight. Just keep an eye on the gauges. Also check the little hose that has real clamps.
I checked underneath once more with the car running and didn't see anything.. shut the car off and lowered it back down to see if maybe, due to it being unleveled it wouldn't leak ..(car did shut off tho for no reason).. and it's been there for hours no drip what so ever .. so I'm going to drive around with the underneath cover for a while to see if I can see where or what side the drop is coming from or running down.. only
Thing looked odd was bottom of expansion tank seem a little wet, I've heard there was a o ring in thinking if it were pinhcnkr damaged it would leak immediately
Old 03-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #3453
gspadez

Quote:
Originally Posted by partialresponse View Post
How much driving (actually, heat up - cool down cycles) did you do within that week? If not much is it likely the original bleeding wasn't complete? You might try bleeding and topping off again.
Since the entire first time fix I didn't see a leak.. but today I noticed a puddle under my car , the day before a coolant low light but never a drip or drop.. when I went to take down the under carriage shield it was slowly dropping off the back carefully took it down and no huge puddle of coolant or anything.. but to answer your question minmum 15m max 30-40m I can also kinda smell it while driving so it could be being burnt off somehow ? It's just a mess
Old 03-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #3454
RRRM8E

I replaced everything, but as above, I used non BMW exp. tank. Traced leak back to the tank (looking from under car), and concluded the smaller hose fitting was leaking - with new hose. Got a new BMW tank from dealer, leak stopped. That said, sounds like you've got a good leak going, and you may have to retrace your steps and reinstall all the hoses. Also, was the rad a virgin? I received one that was dinged up and would have leaked. Check the small hose and nipple above the tank.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #3455
mtnbimmer

My Ride: 325xi
Coolant Source

In case you didn't know, you can get the correct spec coolant (G-48) at your local O' Reilly's:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...itemDetailTab_

Last edited by mtnbimmer; 03-26-2017 at 11:38 AM.
mtnbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:07 AM   #3456
dianty

My Ride: 2005 BMW E46 330CI
@mango, great stuff!Thanks for sharing.
dianty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, water pump