E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #301
buguyed

My Ride: 2004 M3 Cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimfred View Post
My daughters 03 m3 has 115000 miles on it now and the pump is slowly dieing,it kicks in and out of reverse a few times when you first start it and the cog light has been turning on and off for the past couple of months,luckily it's been holding on while I save up for a new pump,there's a Smg pump right now on Craigslist with 68,000 miles on it for 750 but to scared to take the gamble
Will the auto ingenuity tool bleed the new pump?
If a pump truly is what you need, the Foxwell NT-510 scanner will do everything you need. It's $175 on amazon, just order it with the BMW package. Do some googling first and make sure your issue doesn't lie with a gear positioning sensor, salmon relay, or compression springs. Good luck!
buguyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #302
Jimfred

My Ride: 2004 325 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by buguyed View Post
If a pump truly is what you need, the Foxwell NT-510 scanner will do everything you need. It's $175 on amazon, just order it with the BMW package. Do some googling first and make sure your issue doesn't lie with a gear positioning sensor, salmon relay, or compression springs. Good luck!
I had the local BMW shop run diagnostics on her car and said all the pressure values were at the low end of the chart but still within the range were they couldn't call the pump defective (the shop only reads codes for me but I do all the work,they know there high and try and look out for me--I hope)
Can this scanner read pump pressure
Jimfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #303
buguyed

If I've learned anything owning an problematic SMG is that codes don't always mean anything. Do lots of googling knowing your symptoms and codes to get a better answer. Shops are always antsy to suggest a pump and that's a total cop out. The pumps are very strong and actually seldom fail.

Yes that scanner reads pressures, adapts clutches, bleeds everything, adapts GPS. Everything.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #304
buguyed

I recommend bleeding the clutch and pump. Then run full clutch and GPS adaptations again. This should fix your issues or at least help you understand what your failures are.

MAKE sure you follow the warnings when bleeding. You can burn a pump out if you think you don't have to follow a step. The Foxwell scanner will tell you what to do and when. I would start with adaptations first. If that doesn't do the job, then try bleeding then readapting.

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #305
Jimfred

Quote:
I recommend bleeding the clutch and pump. Then run full clutch and GPS adaptations again. This should fix your issues or at least help you understand what your failures are.

MAKE sure you follow the warnings when bleeding. You can burn a pump out if you think you don't have to follow a step. The Foxwell scanner will tell you what to do and when. I would start with adaptations first. If that doesn't do the job, then try bleeding then readapting.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice I'll give this one a shot I bought the peake one from ECS and it's useless
Old 03-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #306
buguyed

Quote:
Thanks for the advice I'll give this one a shot I bought the peake one from ECS and it's useless
It is useless for what you need.

Get the Schwaben scanner, it's identical to the Foxwell NT-510.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #307
buguyed

Quote:
Jimfred, you may want to do some research on the compression and detent springs. That could be why you're slipping out of gear and getting the Cog light. Might also play a role in your issues with low pump pressures. Worth a shot since the springs are a couple bucks. Installing them is a different story. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #308
Jimfred

Quote:
It is useless for what you need.

Get the Schwaben scanner, it's identical to the Foxwell NT-510.
What's the differance because the Schwaben scanner is 50.00 higher
Old 03-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #309
buguyed

Quote:
What's the differance because the Schwaben scanner is 50.00 higher
Absolutely nothing other than it says Schwaben and ECS likes money. You can call and ask them and they will confirm that exactly. I got my Foxwell from Amazon for much less
Old 03-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #310
buguyed

I have this one and it's great. Also easy to reset airbags too, if you need that.

Foxwell NT510 Obd2 Scanner ABS, SRS, EPB, Electronic Power Steering, Transmission Diagnostic Scan Tool with OIL Service Reset, ABS Reset Service Functions (BMW version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019QCG5RE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fn0YybSHMY6K0
Old 03-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #311
Jimfred

Quote:
I have this one and it's great. Also easy to reset airbags too, if you need that.

Foxwell NT510 Obd2 Scanner ABS, SRS, EPB, Electronic Power Steering, Transmission Diagnostic Scan Tool with OIL Service Reset, ABS Reset Service Functions (BMW version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019QCG5RE..._fn0YybSHMY6K0
Thanks I was getting ready to order from Amazon and found this March Special Offer
http://www.foxwelltool.com/search/?q=Special+Offer
Old 03-20-2017, 01:52 AM   #312
Cathe

My Ride: E46
Foxwell NT510 scanner test report OK

Quote:
Thanks I was getting ready to order from Amazon and found this March Special Offer
http://www.foxwelltool.com/search/?q=Special+Offer
Got one NT510 from China and tested it, this is Foxwell NT510 scanner test report OK experience:
- The included software is not native to Mac computers.
- win10 is compatible.
- Can can provide sensor data from the oil level system on an F82 M4, The M4 apparently can only read the oil level with the iDrive, which we plan on permanently removing for non-street use.
- Allow me to alignment and calibrate fuel injectors on a 2009 535i N54 engine
- Can read codes from a transmission control unit (TCU) on a 2003 e46 325xi.
- Can register a battery to an e90 328i.
- I have a 2007 328i Coupe, NT510 can determine which wheel speed sensor is bad.
- NT510 can read and reset airbag service light. I have an intermittent airbag service light on a 2004 X3 that BMW service cannot track down as it clears from memory before I can get it in for service.
- Have the ability on the 09 BMW E82 135 to scan for ghost codes, and any other stored codes. For example, example it will read codes that you did not get a scanner connected fast enough while the check engine light was on and it goes off before you know what the code actually was.
-Can code new injectors in the BMW 2010 335i.
-Can Re-program the Speed Governor on 2011 e90 328i LCI model, vin WBAPH7C52BE852716...please note: Performance software is required to manipulate top speed limiters.
-Can perform a throttle actuator adaptation on an e92 M3 after replacment
- Is capable of functioning as a universal OBDII reader for all makes in addition to it's BMW/Mini/RR Specific functions.
- Can work with a 2012 mini cooper countryman s all 4.
- Have E36 OBD1, for OBD1 cars will require adapter ES2992111 to perform function, Available features will be dependent upon the cars abilities. Not all features are compatible with all models.
-Communicates via the obdII plug in the cabin on the E39 M5 2000, no extra adapters needed.
- Whether NT510 can read TPMS codes or not (Specifically to tell which TPMS receiver is malfunctioning), it depends on the vehicle,If your car has the ability to provide this information the tool will be able to pull this data.
- can read and reset O2 sensor readiness codes but will not code them off permanently.
- Updates can be skipped; sequential installation of updates is not required.
- Can reset "Right/Left Cornering light" warnings on 2011 335d caused by after-market halo installation. To properly clear the error code you need halos with proper resistance, this will cause the car's computer to automatically reset the warnings.
- I own a 2011 335i N55. all functions are supported across the E93 series.
- Able to reset the (sas) steering angle sensor
- Ok to reset the Airbag/seatbelt light on Mini Cooper S R56.
- Ok to modulate the e-parking brake on a 2012 BMW F10 to enable a rear brake job with rotor replacement.
- Module recoding and programing is possible with this tool.
- Availability of features of this nature will vary heavily model to model and year to year.
- Can register new tire pressure monitoring sensors.
- Can do VANOS test, Idle Sync etc for e46 m3.
-Can activate the abs unit in order to bleed it on a 2008-011 m3.
- Can do battery registrations and coding on BMW and mini cooper.
- Be able to code a new battery on 08-2011 M3's.
- To make NT510 is compatible with the early E36 (The car has ads modules for Abs and srs), need the 20 pin adapter ES2992111.
- Can reset the adaptations needed after an e46 m3 smg clutch change.
- Allow for line code changes when programming car options, such as automatic door locking.
- Enable auto rear window defogger for GM5 module on BMW E46. E46 general module coding is possible.
- Can perform the dynamic drive reset for a 2002 745.
- Reset the transfer case oil wear indicator on BMW e83.
- Be able to display the sensor's output if this function is registered by the car's dme.
- Can pull codes from the SRS system and reset the light once all issues are corrected-
- Able to reset transfer case adaptations after transfer case fluid change in an F32.
- Allow coding of the LCM and GM on BMW vehicles.
- Have the ability to program new ABS components to current vehicle.
- Can code for Xenon headlight conversions and also for activating *Sirius Retrofit Enable Code (FSC)* for Mini Cooper R56's, but only some models not all.
- Can read BMW Specific (Shadow/Hidden Codes)
- Can code injectors and new battery on 2008 BMW 135i.

NT510 scanner test report Fail experience::
- NT510 scanner cannot remove the top rpm limiter on a bmw z4m roadster 2007, performance tuning software is required to remove top speed limiters.
- Can't retract the calipers on a 2005 BMW x5 4.4i e53. The E53 does not have electronically controlled calipers. On the E53 you'll manually compress the pistons after removing the caliper, please see the following tools to assist you with this task, ES8211 ES9747 ES2153340

PS: Got it from http://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesale...e-and-obd.html
Cathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #313
buguyed

It's fairly easy to use and intuitive if you're patient. Plus you can download other vehicle support such as Volkswagen/Audi.

Enjoy!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #314
Jimfred

Quote:
It's fairly easy to use and intuitive if you're patient. Plus you can download other vehicle support such as Volkswagen/Audi.

Enjoy!
I finally had a chance to use the scanner so I installed a new salmon relay,and pulled these codes

38 SMG ON period hydra li unit (OBDII:p1717)
30 SMG gear cannot be engaged (OBDII :p1756)
17 SMG activation solenoid valve,clutch (OBDII p1740)
99 SMG evaluation,transversal acceration via CAN

I cleared the codes then bled the actuator it said it was successful
I bled the clutch,it took a little while because it had a no.29 warning=waiting time due to oil foaming but eventually said it was successful
But when I tried to adapt entire transmission it stopped at code no.70=shift gate mid position cannot be set

So I took it for a test ride and immediately popped in and out of reverse 3or 4 times before it would stay,after that it shifted normal up and down in auto or Manuel driving normal or wot

When I got home all the same codes were back up so I tried to run the entire transmission adapt it stopped again at no.70=shift gate mid position cannot be set

I ran the test with a battery charger hooked up
While I was writing all this down the pump would turn on about every 3 minutes and run for about 5 seconds

also is there a site that has a list of the codes this scanner reads

Any thoughts
Old 04-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #315
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci MT '04 M3
The run times on your pump seem reasonable. If its taking about 6 seconds to cut off from zero pressure then the pump is doing ok for now.
The system pressure is controlled by the SMG controller monitoring the pressure sensor integrated into the pump. If the pump cannot achieve or maintain the pressure required you will get pump run time codes. The fact that the pump is turning off without these codes means the pressure is ok or the pressure sensor is faulty. These sensors are easy to test and can be replaced if needed. Same goes for the SMG temp sensor. INPA enables you to monitor these in real time.
If your CHF 11S is up to level and your SMG system has been bled correctly (I use INPA here too) then I suggest you test your Gear Position Sensor and associated wiring. The codes are telling you there is an issue. Have a look.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:09 AM   #316
Jimfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando View Post
The run times on your pump seem reasonable. If its taking about 6 seconds to cut off from zero pressure then the pump is doing ok for now.
The system pressure is controlled by the SMG controller monitoring the pressure sensor integrated into the pump. If the pump cannot achieve or maintain the pressure required you will get pump run time codes. The fact that the pump is turning off without these codes means the pressure is ok or the pressure sensor is faulty. These sensors are easy to test and can be replaced if needed. Same goes for the SMG temp sensor. INPA enables you to monitor these in real time.
If your CHF 11S is up to level and your SMG system has been bled correctly (I use INPA here too) then I suggest you test your Gear Position Sensor and associated wiring. The codes are telling you there is an issue. Have a look.
I'm not sure it's zero pressure,it cuts on and off when I'm not doing anything,the door was open and the ignition was in the on position
With it turning on and off without doing anything mean I'm losing pressure somewhere?
Old 04-02-2017, 01:23 AM   #317
Commando

The accumulator is only about 150cc ? Consequently even a tiny bypass will quickly deplete the pressure. While doing nothing topping up every few minutes is normal. When changing gears it tops up every second shift.
When driving or with the ignition on the pressure should not be zero. Their is a lot of hysterisis as the pump comes on <= 45Bar and cuts off at 80Bar. Only after being parked for some time does the pressure bleed down to zero. So when you first unlock or open the car the pump starts building pressure from this zero up to the pump cut-out (80Bar).
The accumulator has compressed nitrogen inside which is compressed further (to the 80Bar) by the pump. This then maintains the system pressure with the pump off. When system pressure drops to 45Bar the pump is turned on again and the accumulator is recharged. The infamous salmon relay is what actually switches the pump on and off. The SMG controller operates the relay.
Have you read the BMW training note for the SMGII? If not you should. All this and more is explained in detail. It is an ingenious system and BMW/Getrag/Siemens deserve commendation for developing it to the point where it can be used in a road car. Understanding how it works would save a lot of salmon relays and dodgy mods.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:41 AM   #318
Jimfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando View Post
The accumulator is only about 150cc ? Consequently even a tiny bypass will quickly deplete the pressure. While doing nothing topping up every few minutes is normal. When changing gears it tops up every second shift.
When driving or with the ignition on the pressure should not be zero. Their is a lot of hysterisis as the pump comes on <= 45Bar and cuts off at 80Bar. Only after being parked for some time does the pressure bleed down to zero. So when you first unlock or open the car the pump starts building pressure from this zero up to the pump cut-out (80Bar).
The accumulator has compressed nitrogen inside which is compressed further (to the 80Bar) by the pump. This then maintains the system pressure with the pump off. When system pressure drops to 45Bar the pump is turned on again and the accumulator is recharged. The infamous salmon relay is what actually switches the pump on and off. The SMG controller operates the relay.
Have you read the BMW training note for the SMGII? If not you should. All this and more is explained in detail. It is an ingenious system and BMW/Getrag/Siemens deserve commendation for developing it to the point where it can be used in a road car. Understanding how it works would save a lot of salmon relays and dodgy mods.
I'm new to this and I have a little OCD and trying to figure this out before just putting in a 3500 pump and still having issues
Do you think I should get the impa software and check pump pressure ?
Where can I find this BMW training note?
Would gps throw a code?
Can gps be checked with impa software?

Last edited by Jimfred; 04-02-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:20 AM   #319
Commando

Quote:
I'm new to this and I have a little OCD and trying to figure this out before just putting in a 3500 pump and still having issues
Do you think I should get the impa software and check pump pressure ?
I appreciate you are new to this et al, hence my verbose responses.

It is most unlikely you will need to replace the entire hydraulic pump and associated valve manifolds etc. The hydraulic pump assembly is made of numerous sub-components and only a couple of components will require replacement in the total life of the car.

INPA is easy to get, not quite as easy to get running but when it does work it works well. I scavenged an old HP Laptop running XP and dedicate it for this type of use. All you need to get is a good INPA cable that reliably reflects the ignition status. You need this functionality for SMG gearbox adaptations. You can check the black dots at the top of the INPA screen to verify this.
If you are going to avoid being at the mercy of the 50 shades of characters in the game and do your own work on the car you need INPA or something similar.
Now I've said all that I don't think you need to worry about the pressure but you should measure it - with INPA would be fine, to clear it out of your mind.

How did the dealers measure the pressure anyway? Knowing the wide range of operating pressures what did they really mean?

Its something of a gradient but it's more a mound than a hill.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:20 AM   #320
M.NightOwl

My Ride: e46 M3, FelonyF e36m
I have a pump and all associated parts for sale pump has ~8k miles which can be confirmed by www.performancetechnic.com who installed it_nr_