E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #21
HakenTT

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryGuy View Post
That's what I thought. They also want $2500 for parts and $2300 for labor for the swap. Not sure if that's reasonable
Engine swaps are expensive to do in the shop, also shop just orders stuff from the dealer, they don't waste time with ebay and used parts. Unless you will do the job yourself I don't see this being practical thing to do. Sell your junk and buy better is what people tend to do.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
BMWinLinE6

My Ride: E46 sedan
Any progress on your swap? I have done the same to my car. Issues that I have:

1. 330 MAF does not work. I have tried with different 330 MAF's, none worked. But when I swap back with 325 MAF, it worked immediately. I suspect I need to reflash my ECU to adapt 330 MAF? Feels strange.

2. I got "Intake Cam Position Sensor" error with the donor engine. I replaced both intake and exhaust sides Cam Position Sensors with brand new ones, but no luck. Suspecting some wiring issue.
BMWinLinE6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #23
the_carp

My Ride: 2001 325CI Coupe
That is my engine all up and running

The guys said it was a pretty straight forward swap, or what we call plug and play

I never had my ECU reflashed either, I just swapped these parts over

ECU, EWS And the ingintion barrel, and my boot lock, So Im using the 330 keys.

My only issue is that my remote locking not working, but im looking into that.

The car Idles and runs great, Much more power and acceleratrion is great

Anything you need give me a shout
the_carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #24
the_carp

My Ride: 2001 325CI Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinLinE6 View Post
Any progress on your swap? I have done the same to my car. Issues that I have:

1. 330 MAF does not work. I have tried with different 330 MAF's, none worked. But when I swap back with 325 MAF, it worked immediately. I suspect I need to reflash my ECU to adapt 330 MAF? Feels strange.

2. I got "Intake Cam Position Sensor" error with the donor engine. I replaced both intake and exhaust sides Cam Position Sensors with brand new ones, but no luck. Suspecting some wiring issue.
I belive the 330 Maf is essential in the swap, and must be changed

I fitted a k&n and used the 330 Maf and its fine

I cant see the wiring being a issue mate, un hook the battery for half hour and fingers crossed it will clear them
the_carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #25
Guest021715
Account closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_carp View Post
That is my engine all up and running

The guys said it was a pretty straight forward swap, or what we call plug and play

I never had my ECU reflashed either, I just swapped these parts over

ECU, EWS And the ingintion barrel, and my boot lock, So Im using the 330 keys.

My only issue is that my remote locking not working, but im looking into that.

The car Idles and runs great, Much more power and acceleratrion is great

Anything you need give me a shout
Sounds like you did too much work, and still didn't get the full functionality you needed.
Guest021715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #26
BMWinLinE6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_carp View Post
I belive the 330 Maf is essential in the swap, and must be changed

I fitted a k&n and used the 330 Maf and its fine

I cant see the wiring being a issue mate, un hook the battery for half hour and fingers crossed it will clear them
You used 325 stock tune and 330 MAF worked fine? I haven't reflashed my ECU, so it is still the stock 325 tune, it works fine with 325 MAF, but not 330 MAF.

I thought maybe I need to get it reflashed to 330 tune first, but that probably shouldn't be the issue?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
BMWinLinE6

Quote:
You used 325 stock tune and 330 MAF worked fine? I haven't reflashed my ECU, so it is still the stock 325 tune, it works fine with 325 MAF, but not 330 MAF.

I thought maybe I need to get it reflashed to 330 tune first, but that probably shouldn't be the issue?
I figured out the MAF issue. It was just a bad MAF. Replaced with a good 330 MAF and worked great without new tune.

And I finally reflashed my DME with V41 330 tune. Haven't fully tested but expecting some power gain.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #28
FryGuy

My Ride: 2001 325Cic w/ B30
Confirmation - 325 to 330 Engine swap

Quote:
I figured out the MAF issue. It was just a bad MAF. Replaced with a good 330 MAF and worked great without new tune.

And I finally reflashed my DME with V41 330 tune. Haven't fully tested but expecting some power gain.
For a day I was driving around with my B30 swap with a 330 MAF and air box, pre ecu tune. After I got the update the difference was night and day. More power, better throttle response, and better MPG. Make sure to reset the lambda adaptations after the update.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
FryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #29
BMWinLinE6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryGuy View Post
For a day I was driving around with my B30 swap with a 330 MAF and air box, pre ecu tune. After I got the update the difference was night and day. More power, better throttle response, and better MPG. Make sure to reset the lambda adaptations after the update.

Thanks! I already cleared all adaptations, and key on for 30 seconds to re-learn all adaptations.

What ZUSB did you use to reflash with 330 tune? I used 7571613. I saw some other numbers (all refer to e46 330) for the same MS43 DME. Not sure if there's any difference. But I went ahead using 7571613 and reflash was successful.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #30
FryGuy

My Ride: 2001 325Cic w/ B30
Confirmation - 325 to 330 Engine swap

Quote:
Thanks! I already cleared all adaptations, and key on for 30 seconds to re-learn all adaptations.

What ZUSB did you use to reflash with 330 tune? I used 7571613. I saw some other numbers (all refer to e46 330) for the same MS43 DME. Not sure if there's any difference. But I went ahead using 7571613 and reflash was successful.
I can't recall which one specifically, but what I did was got the vin of a 2001 330Ci convertible manual from auto trader and put that in for the proper update.

FryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #31
djdirec

My Ride: has roof rails
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Just swap everything over and get your DME reprogrammed (I can do that for you if you'd like). Shouldn't be any more difficult than swapping another 325 engine.

For year to year differences..
If it comes out of an xi you'll need to swap oil pans, and there are some minor differences based on year. 2003+ engines use different coils; swap the valve covers and use your stock coils. 2003+ engines use 4-rib pulleys with the AC belt -- just use a 4 rib belt; works fine. 2003.5+ mon-XI motors are MS45 and have the IAT sensor integrated in the MAF; get a 330 3-pin MAF and swap the IAT sensor from your original engine
TerraPhantm, I tried to send you a PM but your storage is full
Old 02-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #32
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
I'm still waiting for pics of said "330 saloon vert"
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #33
rawbspear

My Ride: 04' E46 XIT 5 speed
i think i may have killed my 325 motor in my 04 XIT. So i am asking this as a worst case scenario : Does a 330 coupe motor fit in the wagon? is there a better motor i could/ should/ can put in my wagon? i have lots already invested in my car and i just chocked on the prices for a new rig; makes more sense to pimp it out than get a new project.
rawbspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #34
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbspear View Post
i think i may have killed my 325 motor in my 04 XIT. So i am asking this as a worst case scenario : Does a 330 coupe motor fit in the wagon? is there a better motor i could/ should/ can put in my wagon? i have lots already invested in my car and i just chocked on the prices for a new rig; makes more sense to pimp it out than get a new project.
No it will not fit. You have an Xi and you need an Xi motor. Otherwise you will have to change out external pieces onto the new motor.

A 330i motor will fit, but you have to change out the oil pan, the flywheel if different, and all the little things that need changing:

Intake gasket
CVV
Rear seal
Vacuum lines
etc...

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptainE46.com

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 11-22-2015 at 04:25 PM.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #35
rawbspear

My Ride: 04' E46 XIT 5 speed
so if it was a 330xi that would be easy? or shall i say easier?
rawbspear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325, 330, engine, replace, swap