E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #21
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Looks quality.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:48 AM   #22
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiEtr View Post
I'll bet sedan roof would go like hot cakes.
I'd take one in a heart beat
Yeah, if someone gave it to you. You'd buy a coupe before you ever dropped $1,500 on a sedan roof panel.

Last edited by Cavi Mike; 02-13-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #23
AudiEtr

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
somehow i doubt that. just like how sedan VCSL trunk would have sold like hot cakes. then when it came down to it, everyone wanted it, no one wanted to pay for it. hence why we never got one. used to be a sedan owner back in the days lol

then again, i know like 2 people off the top of my head that i know would buy it if one was available. but it wouldn't meet the minimum required to even produce the roof.
That was a long time ago. The csl boot is kinda just for show. The roof is a highly sought after mod for real racers. Especially with the spec e46 series starting next yr.

I know 3 ppl that want it, that makes 5 just from the ppl we know....
Old 02-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #24
AudiEtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Yeah, if someone gave it to you. You'd buy a coupe before you ever dropped $1,500 on a sedan roof panel.
You obviously don't know me. I hate coupes, unless they come with that little M badge before the 3.

I'd drop 2k on a quality roof. I'm confused as to why you think I wouldn't. Is a sedan not worthy of this mod, only coupes?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #25
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i & LSB M3
Quote:
You obviously don't know me. I hate coupes, unless they come with that little M badge before the 3.

I'd drop 2k on a quality roof. I'm confused as to why you think I wouldn't. Is a sedan not worthy of this mod, only coupes?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #26
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i & LSB M3
I'd be pushing hard for this cf roof if I had a sunroof. Since mine's a slick top it would still look amazing but I wouldn't be shaving much weight off. I've got other plans. I can only hope that this will be an option in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
I'm sure you'd say the same about an dropping 8k+ on an S54/6spd/M3 rear yet there's a good amount of S54 sedans out there. Not everyone's a coupe fan. I'm a huge M3 fan but prefer my sedan a little more.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #27
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
yeah i feel like s54 sedan owners would be an exception. even amongst those ranks, i feel like only a small percentage would even go for it. we'll see though. if this one goes well, maybe i'll pitch a sedan gb too lol

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #28
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
s54 sedans

That roof looks amazing.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #29
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:

When the real csl roof was still available, it was pretty cheap and I still never saw a non-M coupe with one installed. So I wouldn't blame vendors from thinking there isn't a sedan market when there are no sedan M3s

If you can get 10 or so people to put down a deposit, I bet you can get one made
Old 02-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #30
AudiEtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
When the real csl roof was still available, it was pretty cheap and I still never saw a non-M coupe with one installed. So I wouldn't blame vendors from thinking there isn't a sedan market when there are no sedan M3s

If you can get 10 or so people to put down a deposit, I bet you can get one made
I don't blame vendors at all....
I think the available options for modding an e46 are so vast that there are many other economical ways to mod before you start getting serious and drop $2500 on a roof.

Now 10yrs later. Some folks have run out of things to mod, like me. I don't want FI so I'm looking for weight reduction. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I grant you it prob won't be the biggest group buy but 10-20 seems doable.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #31
sillieidiot

Quote:
I don't blame vendors at all....
I think the available options for modding an e46 are so vast that there are many other economical ways to mod before you start getting serious and drop $2500 on a roof.

Now 10yrs later. Some folks have run out of things to mod, like me. I don't want FI so I'm looking for weight reduction. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I grant you it prob won't be the biggest group buy but 10-20 seems doable.
Yeah I don't think 10 is doable. Maybe for an interest list, but for people actually to commit money to it, it's going to be far less.

Most likely if this were to happen, I would ask for a 50% deposit right off the bat before Challenge even gets to the molding process. That way we have a real number of who is ready to commit. By that time we'd have a bunch of reviews/pictures of the coupe roof already, so everyone can judge it's quality based on that.

So far, it doesn't look like anyone is biting on the 50% deposit though. The guys that already PMed me asking to spearhead the sedan CF roof, I told asked them if they would put down a deposit and they pretty much disappeared

Old 02-15-2014, 04:39 AM   #32
sillieidiot

oh yeah i'm updating this thread with more pictures because i'm bored. pictures were taking by my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
Saw the roof today at the body shop with Hieu. Took some photos sorry if they aren't the best. I think my camera is breaking. We took around 60 but only a few came out alright. We also forgot to bring a microfiber to clean off the dust. :lolhit:

I know it's cliché but I will say it anyways. It looks so much better in person than any of these pictures can show.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #33
cak323i

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
That roof does look amazing!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #34
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
Looks like a high quality piece. Any idea what the weight savings would be coming from a sunroof?
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #35
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci/15' A3 TDI
About 60 lbs I believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Oh...and the "$300 here, $600 there" scenario will turn into "$3000 here, $6000 there". I've had an enourmous amount of labor put into my car. (Luckily the majority of it was done by myself) Also, I've spent over $5k on my tool set since I started my project. You've been warned...
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #36
sillieidiot

update, quoted from m3forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillie View Post
Sorry guys, again, for the late update. I guess there was some delay from fedex (i think they have it out for me or something ) for the glue required to put on the roof. They just received it today, but won't be gluing it until the owner comes back later today (i dropped by unannouced since it was on the way). But I did get some pictures of just the roof on the car for you to show fitment.

Keep in mind, the roof panel HAS NOT been glued on yet and it's not in it's FINAL position.

This obviously needs to be moved over. I forgot to take one of the other side.

The guys there told me that the fitment was spot on. It could have passed for OEM if I didn't already tell them that it wasn't They said that they don't even have to do any cutting, just need the glue and to put it on and it should be good. Great news for me i guess lol

Old 03-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #37
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Looks nice but damn....alot of money and modification for that.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #38
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcus View Post
Looks nice but damn....alot of money and modification for that.
yeah it is. the part itself is cheap i guess, just the install and headliner adds to the cost. this is more for like the m3/csl whore guys i guess.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #39
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
yeah it is. the part itself is cheap i guess, just the install and headliner adds to the cost. this is more for like the m3/csl whore guys i guess.
Yes, I remember many years ago the install was alot of work to get right and labor intensive. Does look sweet as heck though.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #40
sillieidiot

forgot about this thread. very small update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillie View Post
I guess you can consider this "fit/finish pictures part 1" lol Since I'm taking cameraphone pictures, and there are no rails. But at least you can see how it looks under the headliner/rails, since you'll never get to see that with other finish pictures with the headliner/rails in lol

yeah my finger snuck in a shot too. very very sneaky lol

Tags
carbon fiber, cf roof, csl