SMG Gears will not Engage at high RPMs - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
VeeM3r

My Ride: e46 M3 SMG
Exclamation SMG Gears will not Engage at high RPMs

Problem engaging all gears at high RPMs (approx. 3.5k and above), except when shifting TO 5th.

Seems like second will engage below 4.5k; about the same with 4th. 5th will engage regardless of RPM or acceleration.
Acceleration (pedal position) also appears to play a role. The more gas, the likelier the problem will occur.
At very high RPMs, say above 6.5k, a shift from 1st to 2nd will feel like it engaged quickly but will not "stick."
When the problem occurs, the called gear (gear you asked the computer to engage) will blink on the dash.
Releasing the accelerator and waiting for RPMs to come down will result in the gear finally engaging and the number in the dash stops blinking.
The car can be driven normally as long as you shift at low RPMs.
No evident loud noises or grinding.
If you call a gear (other than 5th) at high RPMs/load and the described problem occurs (i.e. gear does not engage, indicator blinks), and you keep accelerating as normal, the gear will keep blinking for a few seconds untill the computer will decide there is a problem and lock out that gear.
It will then become unselectable (skipped by the computer) untill the car is turned off for a few minutes and restarted.
This will also cause the SMG gear to show on the dash (fault - Gear could not be engaged).
VeeM3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
-Roger-

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeM3r View Post
Problem engaging all gears at high RPMs (approx. 3.5k and above), except when shifting TO 5th.

Seems like second will engage below 4.5k; about the same with 4th. 5th will engage regardless of RPM or acceleration.
Acceleration (pedal position) also appears to play a role. The more gas, the likelier the problem will occur.
At very high RPMs, say above 6.5k, a shift from 1st to 2nd will feel like it engaged quickly but will not "stick."
When the problem occurs, the called gear (gear you asked the computer to engage) will blink on the dash.
Releasing the accelerator and waiting for RPMs to come down will result in the gear finally engaging and the number in the dash stops blinking.
The car can be driven normally as long as you shift at low RPMs.
No evident loud noises or grinding.
If you call a gear (other than 5th) at high RPMs/load and the described problem occurs (i.e. gear does not engage, indicator blinks), and you keep accelerating as normal, the gear will keep blinking for a few seconds untill the computer will decide there is a problem and lock out that gear.
It will then become unselectable (skipped by the computer) untill the car is turned off for a few minutes and restarted.
This will also cause the SMG gear to show on the dash (fault - Gear could not be engaged).
Hi!
I am experiencing the exact same problem with my 02 m3!
Did you solve the problem?

I already changed the compression springs, but they were not broken.
-Roger- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #3
VeeM3r

My Ride: e46 M3 SMG
Roger,

I'm in Qatar with very little time to work or get work done on the car. I'm just now replacing the springs. Got one done (the one under the bolt). The second, thinner one seems more difficult to get to. Will probably do it in the next couple of days. If this fails to fix the problem, I plan on replacing the GPS bundle.

How many springs did you check/replace?

Cheers,
RP

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
VeeM3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
mxchris727

My Ride: E39, E93 335
Send a message via ICQ to mxchris727 Send a message via AIM to mxchris727 Send a message via MSN to mxchris727
Sounds like failing synchronizer gears within the transmission.

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, and Tool32 with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
ISTA/P & /D is up and running!
mxchris727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
DeWolf

My Ride: 04 E46 Wagon 996TT
Have you had the codes read or do you have INPA? The best investment you will you make is a diagnostic cable and software. Mine had the same issue and BMW told me the pump was gone AU$4.5k to rectify. I purchased a cable and software and it turned out to be the gear postion sensor. Replaced and problem solved.

Last edited by DeWolf; 07-08-2014 at 10:01 PM.
DeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:13 AM   #6
-Roger-

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeM3r View Post
Roger,

I'm in Qatar with very little time to work or get work done on the car. I'm just now replacing the springs. Got one done (the one under the bolt). The second, thinner one seems more difficult to get to. Will probably do it in the next couple of days. If this fails to fix the problem, I plan on replacing the GPS bundle.

How many springs did you check/replace?

Cheers,
RP

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I replaced both springs. But none of them were broken.
As I understand in almost every situation with broken springs, it is the one you haven't replaced that usually is the broken one

Last edited by -Roger-; 08-21-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
-Roger-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWolf View Post
Have you had the codes read or do you have INPA? The best investment you will you make is a diagnostic cable and software. Mine had the same issue and BMW told me the pump was gone AU$4.5k to rectify. I purchased a cable and software and it turned out to be the gear postion sensor. Replaced and problem solved.
For some reason, I missed your post earlier :/
But thanks for input!

There was one guy diagnosing with inpa, but he couldn't find the exact problem.
He found a failure code, but not able to say exactly what part broken...
Think I will try to replace gear position sensor! Thnx for tip!

VeeM3r Did you solve your problem?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #8
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Maybe try to run an smg adaptation using inpa. Remember this week require either a battery charger hooked up or jumper cables from another car with it running
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:59 AM   #9
-Roger-

not a bad idea! I will try to install inpa.. And learn how the thing works! Could be useful for other problems in future as well...

Last edited by -Roger-; 08-22-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
-Roger-

Tried to install Inpa, but had to give up :/
Maybe try again later, but for now I have ordered the gear position sensor.. Expensive!!!!
Hopefully it will work, but still a bit worried that it won't..

have googled a bit more and some say that problem is the actuator.. This is much more expensive again... Why didn't I buy a car with manual gearbox????

Here is an example of how the gearbox is behaving:
Let's say I accelerate in 2nd gear, change up and it pops into 3rd gear with no problem.
Still holding full throttle, accelerating on 3rd gear and change up to 4th gear... Now the gear indicator will start flashing "4" and gear will not engage.
If I release throttle, it will take a second or two before it will gear into 4th and I can start accelerating again.
Change gear up to 5th and no problem, but from 5th to 6th it is the same as 3-4 again...

Last edited by -Roger-; 09-02-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
-Roger-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Maybe try to run an smg adaptation using inpa. Remember this week require either a battery charger hooked up or jumper cables from another car with it running

This actually solved the problem
In addition, the gearbox behaves much better now :-D
Smoother shifts and suddenly SMG just got really awesome :-)
Old 09-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Roger- View Post
Tried to install Inpa, but had to give up...
Here is a very informative thread on the BMW INPA tools.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=inpa

Using this, I was able to set everything up in an hour. But I used MagicDisc instead of Daemon Tools for mounting the .NRG CD image file for installing.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:30 AM   #13
-Roger-

Thnx :-) I will use this guide & try to install the other programs :-)

Inpa is now working with help from my father who is a 100% computer geek...
Old 09-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
novoM3

My Ride: Ford
Roger looks you were able to fix smg issues
By changing gear position sensor.
I have similar issue from 3-4 but dont
Have cog light or any failure on INPA related
To the sensor. Can run adaptation w/o issue.
My spring was also replaced.
Let me know how did you find out about
Sensor? Is there any specific code?
novoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
-Roger-

Quote:
Originally Posted by novoM3 View Post
Roger looks you were able to fix smg issues
By changing gear position sensor.
I have similar issue from 3-4 but dont
Have cog light or any failure on INPA related
To the sensor. Can run adaptation w/o issue.
My spring was also replaced.
Let me know how did you find out about
Sensor? Is there any specific code?
FYI, my GPS was not broken. I ordered it because DeWolf said that it might could be the problem. So I googled about the GPS and found out that there were people with same symptoms as me who changed GPS with success.

When you run adaptation, do you bleed the actuator and clutch first?
Old 09-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #16
novoM3

My Ride: Ford
What was your issue? I though was replacing GPS the issue went away.
I don't remember bleeding clutch but I run adaptation on clutch and gearbox. If the GPS was the issue did it pop up some codes?
Did you experience slow shift from 3-4? Any grinding noise?
I just want to find a way to evaluate if GPS is bad
novoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #17
-Roger-

I planned to replace GPS, but before i got to do it, I connected inpa and ran "bleed actuator", "bleed clutch" and then a full SMG adaptation.
This solved my problem, so I sent the gps back to dealer!

You understand? Sorry for my bad English...
Old 09-20-2014, 02:58 AM   #18
NumbaOneNewb

just do it, it couldn't hurt the thing I don't think. anyways, I've seen so many smg issues where they would describe things that just don't seem like a mechanical failure. I've witnessed smg adaptations solve many issues. another note for you guys, just know there is a euro smg update for your cars which open up some options and supposedly better. upon updating you need to run the adaptation again.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 09-20-2014, 03:03 AM   #19
NumbaOneNewb

and novo, if for some reason you're stating a specific gear range 3-4 is specifically your issue, (I have absolutely no clue about transmissions or SMG transmissions other than software work with SMG) but my guess would have to be either a specific mechanical part (if it exists) that affects the changing of gear through those 2 gears or something deeper internally. To me, it would be similar to a guy with a normal manual tranny saying, "Yeah, my 3rd gear is going out man."
Old 09-20-2014, 03:56 AM   #20
-Roger-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
just do it, it couldn't hurt the thing I don't think. anyways, I've seen so many smg issues where they would describe things that just don't seem like a mechanical failure. I've witnessed smg adaptations solve many issues. another note for you guys, just know there is a euro smg update for your cars which open up some options and supposedly better. upon updating you need to run the adaptation again.
Where or how can i install the update?

Tags
gear not engage, shifting, smg