E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
xsxpxhx

My Ride: 2002 M3
AC Over Heating Issue (I already checked this topic on forums with no help)

Hello Guys,

I need help from anyone please! I'll give you a quick run down. When the AC is on, my car over heats, only in hot weather only. I noticed this happens when its 85 degrees and up.

Things I have replaced to combat this issue.

Radiator
Fan Clutch
Thermostat
Coolant Flush
Radiator Flush
Air Filter

This problem still persists,however I did notice a small improvement. The car still reaches temps past the 3/4 mark and continues to climb unless i turn off the AC. This problem is just draining my pockets The Next thing I was told is to replace the Water Pump....but damn that is another arm and leg. Does anyone else have any suggestions what it can be or if this has happen to you and continues to give you a problem and how did you fix it? Thank you all!
xsxpxhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
xsxpxhx

damn..no one? BUMP
Old 09-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
ExcuseM3Plz

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
Stupid question but did you bleed the cooling system? I'm assuming yes but I know my e36 would slightly over heat if I didn't properly bleed the system. If not waterpump sounds about right.

"If you even look at that engine, it'll kill you". - Jeremy Clarkson
ExcuseM3Plz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
xsxpxhx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcuseM3Plz View Post
Stupid question but did you bleed the cooling system? I'm assuming yes but I know my e36 would slightly over heat if I didn't properly bleed the system. If not waterpump sounds about right.
I did bleed the system. I think it is going to be the water pump. smh. I mean its the last thing right? smh
Old 09-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
i think i can help you a little bit

I had this problem once the weather started to get in the ninties with no air flow I did these things and it help a lot
put in a
55 deg thermostat 11531417215
sport fan clutch 3 hole 11521719269s
also I put in my block engine ice it it what the guys use on the track it is like a anti-freeze but it lowers the temp of the block look on line for it name is
engine ice
put it in your block once a year it really works the other 2 things I put I got it from aa in florida speak to v he will hook you up
I think these things should solve your problem
bob
Old 09-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6SPD
If your engine is still stock and it's overheating like that then something is wrong, you shouldn't need anything bob suggested unless you're modded and need higher cooling capacity.

Have you replaced the temperature sensors in the rad hose and block? They are relatively cheap.
Is the aux fan working?
Is the AC system full of refrigerant/properly working/leaking?

Last edited by Teslazerok; 09-16-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
xsxpxhx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslazerok View Post
If your engine is still stock and it's overheating like that then something is wrong, you shouldn't need anything bob suggested unless you're modded and need higher cooling capacity.

Have you replaced the temperature sensors in the rad hose and block? They are relatively cheap.
Is the aux fan working?
Is the AC system full of refrigerant/properly working/leaking?
my engine is stock, no mods, the aux fan is working, ill have to double check to see if anything is leaking.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
$ilent ///M

My Ride: 03.5 M3 smg lsb
Have you replaced the radiator cap
$ilent ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
M3HG

My Ride: e46 m3
What was the fix ?

Im have the same issue --- what did you end up doing and what was the fix ---cost ?
VF 570 SC, AA headers & section 1, rasp pipe, CSL SMG tune, DR Vanos Cryo set up,Eibach Pro kit 1" F 3/4" R , H&R Front sway bar + Rear sway bar, BBS 19', SACHs race clutch kit, 255 19/275 19 Pilot SS & Bayern Rims

CF = interior trim, rear diffuser, steering & Colby full Alcantra trim.

European aftermarket cigarette lighter !!!
M3HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6SPD
I've seen someone with this issue fix it by having the a/c refrigerant refilled.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
mzeed

My Ride: 05 M3 ZCP no sunroof
[Have you replaced the temperature sensors in the rad hose and block? They are relatively cheap.
Is the aux fan working?
[/QUOTE]

Please recheck this!!! And Rebleed the System!!!
mzeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #12
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
You sure your hoses aren't cracked? Mine was and it caused it to overheat.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac, overheat, thermostat