Possible head gasket failure - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2014, 04:31 AM   #1
Chalksco

My Ride: 330ci
Possible head gasket failure

I bought my e46 around a month ago and have been having absolute nightmares. It's a convertible 330ci 2001 and in the morning most mornings it has been misfiring and when I press the accelerator it's very limp and sometimes just dies. I generally hold my foot until it sits at 2000 revs until it sorts itself out. It generally only misfires in the morning but it's very limp when it starts up. Even of Iv been driving it around and I leave it for half hour or so sometimes it won't start and I have to leave for over an hour before it will start again. I drove it around last Friday and it was fine but then out of nowhere it cut out and when I finally got it going again every time it went under 1500 revs it would cut out when driving. I got it home and left it there for 2 days. Tried starting it and it fired up beautifully and I drove it for 4 days without a problem whatsoever. Now it's started again. There's no white smoke no white gunk in the oil. I took it to a garage and they said the camshaft sensor was faulty so I changed both inlet and outlet and had the whole car serviced. Yet it still has the problem. Any ideas?
Chalksco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
are you losing coolant? should've asked the shop to do a leak down test. might be your vanos. but its hard to tell because not sure what's been done to it. most of the time, camshaft sensors would throw a check engine light
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Chalksco

I was loosing coolant but it turned out to be a doggy washer so I had that changed and I haven't lost any coolant since. I was wondering if I could be flooding the engine possibly, after the 2 days of leaving it standing I drove it very carefully and didn't put my foot down whatsoever where normaly my foot would be constantly on the floor. After the 4 days of driving it carefully I started putting my foot down again and Iv had problems once again. In the morning when it misfires it make a loud pop a few times and I was wondering if that was too much petrol in the engine and was creating a loud bang.
Is it possible to fluid these engines from having your foot down all the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
MacFady

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Why do you have your foot down all the time? Are you speaking figuratively as in you are a spirited driver or you have to keep the pedal on the floor to keep the car running? What codes are you throwing? If you don't know then find out and report back otherwise it is all just a shot in the dark.

Just for curiousity, have a very good look at your intake boot from the MAF all the way down to the throttle body and make sure there is no big gaping hole in it, use a mirror.

Last edited by MacFady; 09-25-2014 at 08:44 AM.
MacFady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Chalksco

By foot down I mean whenever I can get the chance to put my foot to the floor I do, sometimes in the morning when I first start driving I have to put my foot to the floor just to keep the car going
Old 09-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
t5contradiction
Banned User

My Ride: M5e39 m3e90 325cie46
99% of the time a leak down and compression test will give you a clear cut answer if you have a head gasket problem. Go rent the tools for free at advance auto and do the tests. It will take you less then an hour.
t5contradiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5contradiction View Post
99% of the time a leak down and compression test will give you a clear cut answer if you have a head gasket problem. Go rent the tools for free at advance auto and do the tests. It will take you less then an hour.
Nothing OP wrote suggests head gasket failure.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Chalksco

Anyone else have any ideas what it could be?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
AndreBXP

My Ride: '04 BMW M3
Do you have any lights on the dash? Check your oil+coolant for any milky residue . HG tend only to fail when these cars overheat; did your car overheat?
AndreBXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
t5contradiction
Banned User

My Ride: M5e39 m3e90 325cie46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Nothing OP wrote suggests head gasket failure.
Name of the thread is "possible head gasket failure". I'm giving OP a fool proof solution to eliminate hg as being the issue. I'm sure your smart ass comment helped though
t5contradiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
Chalksco

Engine management light comes on but has gone off again. Airbag signs on for some reason wether that's related or not I don't know. It got plugged in and the cam sensor code came up so I changed that and it had recorded the miss fires but that's it
Old 09-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #12
AndreBXP

My Ride: '04 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalksco View Post
Engine management light comes on but has gone off again. Airbag signs on for some reason wether that's related or not I don't know. It got plugged in and the cam sensor code came up so I changed that and it had recorded the miss fires but that's it
Check what your fuel trims are. I have a feeling that you have a hole in your intake.
AndreBXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
MacFady

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreBXP View Post
Check what your fuel trims are. I have a feeling that you have a hole in your intake.
I suggested he have a good look at that above, never really said whether he did.
"...have a very good look at your intake boot from the MAF all the way down to the throttle body and make sure there is no big gaping hole in it, use a mirror."

Last edited by MacFady; 09-25-2014 at 01:18 PM.
MacFady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold start, cold start issue, head gasket, misfire