Weird heating issue? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
jakethesteak

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
Weird heating issue?

Hi forum. So I know for a fact I have a stuck open thermostat. It never heats up passed the first dot unless its warm enough outside. I also had an issue with my heater control valve. It stopped working entirely. I read that if you just unplug it you have heat all the time. I did this and I would actually get some decent heat as long as the engine temp got passed the blue area.

So, I received my heater control valve replacement and my new thermostat yesterday. I replaced the HCV this morning since it was the easiest to do. Obviously I lost a bit of coolant in the process but I didn't think it was a huge deal ( I need to do a flush anyway).
Took it for a drive after it "heated up" (the first dot) and now I have absolutely no heat. None at all.

So what gives? Air in the system? I know the HCV works because I tested it beforehand...

Thanks!
jakethesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
Yea it sounds like there is air in the system. Replace the thermostat, add coolant, bleed the system
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
jakethesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayne23 View Post
Yea it sounds like there is air in the system. Replace the thermostat, add coolant, bleed the system
That's the plan for tomorrow. I will post any other issues if they should arise.

Thank you!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Cayne23

Today on my agenda is to removw the valve cover to indpect mu exhaust hub and to replace my thermostat too
Old 12-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
jakethesteak

Quote:
Today on my agenda is to removw the valve cover to indpect mu exhaust hub and to replace my thermostat too

You're doing the thermostat too? How will you be replacing it? Will you be taking off the fan and fan shroud or just the thermostat housing?

I plan on just popping off the housing, fitting the new thermostat in, put everything back together and call it a day.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Cayne23

Yea i didnt have time to get to the thermo today. But im goimg to drain coolant first, so it doesnt leak everywhere when i remove the thermo housing. U dont want that stuss all over your belts. Remove either hose from the housing. Remove the 3 bolts on top. Pull out the connection tube when i pop off the thermo housing. Smear a little dish soap on all 3 gaskets, 2 on the connection pipe. Bolt everything back together. Fill with coolant, bleed system
Old 12-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
jakethesteak

Quote:
Yea i didnt have time to get to the thermo today. But im goimg to drain coolant first, so it doesnt leak everywhere when i remove the thermo housing. U dont want that stuss all over your belts. Remove either hose from the housing. Remove the 3 bolts on top. Pull out the connection tube when i pop off the thermo housing. Smear a little dish soap on all 3 gaskets, 2 on the connection pipe. Bolt everything back together. Fill with coolant, bleed system
Excellent. That was my plan as well. However I may not even remove the radiator hoses if I don't absolutely need to. I've read that you don't need to..but it might be easier to do it that way. I'll have to see when I get my hands on it. Didn't have time to get to it today. Tomorrow will have to be the day.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Cayne23

I have read that u can remove the temp sensor on the lower hose and let the coolant pour out. My luck, i would break that sensor.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:45 PM   #9
jakethesteak

Quote:
I have read that u can remove the temp sensor on the lower hose and let the coolant pour out. My luck, i would break that sensor.

Yep! Did a coolant flush when I changed my water pump a few months back and that's definitely the way to drain it out. Hard to get to if you don't remove the fan shroud but once you take that sensor off it'll pour out like a geyser
This is a good video DIY for a coolant flush:

Old 12-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Cayne23

Does the sensor just unclip to come out or does it unscrew?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #11
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6SPD
Unclip the electrical connection first, then unclip the sensor.
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
jakethesteak

Alright guys. So I put in the new thermostat, filled the system with coolant, bled the system and the temp gauge now reads 12 o'clock when warmed up.

However....I get ice cold air from the vents. I triple checked to make sure there was no air in the system. Loosening the bleed screw reveals no more bubbles. Just coolant. Again, I tri-p-p-p-le checked this. I then checked fuses. All good. Checked the HCV. It runs. I tested it before I even put it in. Checked the dial between the air vents in the cabin. It's at the three red dot setting. I even unplugged the HCV (by doing this, from what I've read, means its heat only) and still cold air.

So I'm at a complete loss Everything checks out yet I get ice cold air.

What gives??

Thanks

Last edited by jakethesteak; 12-27-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:50 AM   #13
gburner

My Ride: 2001 M3
Any updates?

Last edited by gburner; 01-18-2015 at 07:56 AM.
gburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #14
Cayne23

Installed my thermo last weekend. Easy job. Bleeding was easy too. After filling with coolany, i gave the upper hose a good squeeze and alot of air bubbles bleed into the expansion tank. Unscrewed the bleeder hose a little until coolant dripped out. Started car, ran for 5 min or so anf watxhed the air flow into the ET. Couple of minutes later, done.
Temp needle moves a little bit. I can see on the digital readout thaty temp goes from 79- 84. Works well
Old 01-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #15
Cayne23

Oh i forgot to say. After i removed the temp sensor, coolant did flow out. But after i popped of the thermo hoising, more coolant poured out all over my belts, sh!t. Rinsed that stuff off good. Maybe after removing the temp sensor, u should squeeze the upper hose a bunch of times to push more fliud out of the hole

Tags
hcv, heater, thermostat