E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #21
wildpig

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Convert
As I said, my problem is that the cycle starts fine. When you start the opening process, the tonneau cover would open fine (and not slow). The back part of the top would move up and forward fine. But then the next part of the cycle of the front moving back is when it couldn't keep going and I have to start helping it by pushing the front part of the top back. Once the front part has moved back to above the boot container then it could slowly continue by itself..

when I close the top, tonneau cover open fine, but I need to pull the top up and forward to help it out. Once it gets to the part of the cycle when the back moves up for the cover to move down then it could complete the cycle by itself.

So is it like the middle 2/3 part of the opening and closing cycle is when you need the most hydraulic power?
Old 05-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #22
McGary911

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpig View Post
As I said, my problem is that the cycle starts fine. When you start the opening process, the tonneau cover would open fine (and not slow). The back part of the top would move up and forward fine. But then the next part of the cycle of the front moving back is when it couldn't keep going and I have to start helping it by pushing the front part of the top back. Once the front part has moved back to above the boot container then it could slowly continue by itself..

when I close the top, tonneau cover open fine, but I need to pull the top up and forward to help it out. Once it gets to the part of the cycle when the back moves up for the cover to move down then it could complete the cycle by itself.

So is it like the middle 2/3 part of the opening and closing cycle is when you need the most hydraulic power?
WP. That's just how mine was acting. It forward part of the roof would do it's little wheelie pivot, the tonneau would open up, then the roof was supposed to continue. This is where I had to give it that little nudge. That turned into a bigger nudge after a few weeks. Finally, the top would have problems getting out of the boot container and required some help. That's when I knew it was pump time.

Where in FL are you? I'm in Jax.
McGary911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:16 PM   #23
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:

Manually open and close the top, it'll give you an appreciation for when the pump has to work hardest.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #24
wildpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
WP. That's just how mine was acting. It forward part of the roof would do it's little wheelie pivot, the tonneau would open up, then the roof was supposed to continue. This is where I had to give it that little nudge. That turned into a bigger nudge after a few weeks. Finally, the top would have problems getting out of the boot container and required some help. That's when I knew it was pump time.

Might have to get with you to get your advices on removing the pump. kinda a newbie and would much appreciated any suggestions.. I am in jax too. north portion of southside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Manually open and close the top, it'll give you an appreciation for when the pump has to work hardest.
Heh, I almost have to do that. thought the top was gonna completely quit a few week ago. Had to turn of the key and let it chill for like a few mins then I was able to get it to complete the cycle.

Yeah, its summer time in FL and my top is deciding to take a vacation too instead of working!
Old 05-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #25
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Yeah, its summer time in FL and my top is deciding to take a vacation too instead of working!
I recently read that the top won't cycle if the fluid is too hot. Can't remember what the temp for non-function was however.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #26
McGary911

Quote:
Might have to get with you to get your advices on removing the pump. kinda a newbie and would much appreciated any suggestions.. I am in jax too. north portion of southside.

Heh, I almost have to do that. thought the top was gonna completely quit a few week ago. Had to turn of the key and let it chill for like a few mins then I was able to get it to complete the cycle.

I work at the south end of Southside, near the Avenues mall and live just outside of Duval in St. Johns. Shoot me a PM if you want to hook up and I can show you how easy this is. Honestly, you need only like 1 wrench.....and some trim removal tools don't hurt to get the trunk liners out. It's going to be obvious if you have a leak at the motor\pump. It's wrapped in a foam shell, so that'll act like a sponge and catch the oil.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #27
wildpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
I recently read that the top won't cycle if the fluid is too hot. Can't remember what the temp for non-function was however.
INPA didn't show any error regard temperature induced shutdown in my case...
Old 05-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #28
wildpig

Pump replaced wrked again...thnx mcgary
Old 06-02-2016, 07:15 PM   #29
Quaig

My Ride: 2003 330 Cic
Quote:

You are talking about when everything is ready to go back into the storage compartment at once after all the pre-close moving right? When the whole top is supposed to kind of fall back but it doesn't. Mine will do that but sometimes it locks (usually if you hold the button for a while and it tries but gets nowhere) into that position and I have to put it back up manually. Sounds like it is my pump as I've found no fluid.

Last edited by Quaig; 06-02-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Quaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #30
masCh

My Ride: E46 Convertible
Quote:
I agree. I know they don't want fluid in the core you return. That makes more sense, as the pump may be leaking and that fluid is nasty and old.

I didn't bother to return the Mercedes fluid, not worth my time. If anyone local needs it, they can have it.

Good idea on finding a friend to swap pumps. It really doesn't take long at all.
Can you take a picture of your pump installed? Mine was taken off and I don't know how to put it back. Also, does yours have oil filled all the way to the top?
masCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #31
masCh

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I was told that one can only manually close the top, but not open the top manually? Is this information wrong?
Old 06-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #32
McGary911

To get a good pic of the pump, I'd have to remove a lot of stuff. Check out the DIYs @ http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com. They have very good pics and links to some forum posts. Youtube has some videos too.

As for the level, there's a dot on the reservoir where the fluid should be up to. That needs to be checked with the top down, so the oil is out of the cylinders.

You can raise and lower the top manually. The instructions are in the owner's manual, but it's pretty straight forward. There's a hex wrench behind the rear armrest that you can use to move the windshield latches.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #33
masCh

I opened the hood all the way down, locked it till I can open the trunk.

I took the motor out off the solenoid block, and filled it up to the round circle indicator on the reservoir.

Still the roof won't go up. It just unlocks the tonneau, and the motor makes a buzzing sound. (Noone seems to mention about the loud sound in the DIY writeups.)

Not sure if I have a solenoid problem? I would reckon the tonneau cover would rise first but it just stays there (roof fully open). The new motor makes a sound but its not doing anything. Am actually at a loss on what to do at the moment.

Is there a way to check where the electrical wires go to the pump? The connectors are all the same size (pairs)

Last edited by masCh; 06-03-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #34
wildpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaig View Post
You are talking about when everything is ready to go back into the storage compartment at once after all the pre-close moving right? When the whole top is supposed to kind of fall back but it doesn't. Mine will do that but sometimes it locks (usually if you hold the button for a while and it tries but gets nowhere) into that position and I have to put it back up manually. Sounds like it is my pump as I've found no fluid.
If you found no leaking fluid, it's probably the pump not working correctly and need to be replaced. I think my symptom before replacing the pump was like yours.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #35
wildpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by masCh View Post
I opened the hood all the way down, locked it till I can open the trunk.

I took the motor out off the solenoid block, and filled it up to the round circle indicator on the reservoir.

Still the roof won't go up. It just unlocks the tonneau, and the motor makes a buzzing sound. (Noone seems to mention about the loud sound in the DIY writeups.)

Not sure if I have a solenoid problem? I would reckon the tonneau cover would rise first but it just stays there (roof fully open). The new motor makes a sound but its not doing anything. Am actually at a loss on what to do at the moment.

Is there a way to check where the electrical wires go to the pump? The connectors are all the same size (pairs)
So you got a rebuilt pump and your top and tonneau still won't move?

when looking directly at the bottom of the pump, and with the two pairs of small connectors oriented to be more inferior (with the notch for the wire bundle on the right side), the small wire with green strip goes to the right small connector. The large wire with the darker almost black wire goes to the right large connector

Last edited by wildpig; 06-03-2016 at 02:13 PM.
wildpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #36
masCh

Quote:
So you got a rebuilt pump and your top and tonneau still won't move?

when looking directly at the bottom of the pump, and with the two pairs of small connectors oriented to be more inferior (with the notch for the wire bundle on the right side), the small wire with green strip goes to the right small connector. The large wire with the darker almost black wire goes to the right large connector
Thank you, that's the way I guessed them to be then. So this wiring is right, something else is the problem.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #37
klixtokw

My Ride: bmw 325 ci
wiring

see pic below

Quote:
Thank you, that's the way I guessed them to be then. So this wiring is right, something else is the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3091-VISIBLE SOLDER (Medium).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	633681  
klixtokw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #38
klixtokw

My Ride: bmw 325 ci
pump pic

You need to take the top foam cover and attach to side of car. The other pic shows close up of hydraulic hoses.

Quote:
Can you take a picture of your pump installed? Mine was taken off and I don't know how to put it back. Also, does yours have oil filled all the way to the top?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2338 (Medium).JPG
Views:	77
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	633682   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2340 (Medium).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	633683  
klixtokw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #39
masCh

Thanks, I have them looking like your photos now. Still the motor makes a sound but nothing is happening with the top.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:52 AM   #40
wildpig

If you already got the 4 bottom connectors connected correctly as well as also having the green electrical plug at the top of the pump in place as well as making sure all 6 hydraulics lines are connected correctly (by their numbers) and there is no leak in the system then it should work..

Unless something in the pump assembly is damaged. Was this a rebuilt pump from tophydraulics or did you buy some used components? I was warned to not buy used pump b/c they might be on way out and they are not as good as the rebuilt pump and cost about the same as rebuilt on ebay anyway....

What tophydraulic sent me was the complete pump assembly of the reservoir as well as that metal component on the top of the pump where the green electric plug and hydraulic lines are connected to.

If this is a used pump your mechanic put in, it might be worth it to send the whole pump assembly to tophydraulics for diagnostic.

Tags
convertible, diy, slow, top