E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #61
t_g_farrell

My Ride: 2000 323i
Thanks guys, my concern is I have an early production date e46 (8/99) with both the OBDII port and the 19 pin port under the hood. I've been reading and it appears some modules can't be modified through OBDII in some early production runs. I guess I'll find out.
t_g_farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:36 PM   #62
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
How to code LCM LKM and write mileage using PA Soft BMW Scanner 1.4.x

I put this here cause the other PA soft thread is a bit crowded - anyway this is a thread for dummies - so a pictorial is apt.

BMW-North E46 Electric Fan Guide

Download a clean working copy of BMW Standard Tools with Special Tests for e46 :
Single NRG file: Complete BMW Standard Tools Suite You will also need ISO Workshop (free edition - linked) to create the install directory (image) or disk. NRG file: 347,183 Kb

Last edited by BMW-North; 09-30-2016 at 10:37 AM.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #63
bunnychickthecat

My Ride: E46 325i
I have a question. I have a 2003 325i that I recently purchased I have my BMW scanner and have used it without issues before but I'm stumped this time.
I coded the alarm after purchasing the parts on ebay and while I can get the lights to flash when unlocking/locking and the clown nose blinks slowly as it should when locked, triggering the alarm does nothing more than make the clown nose blink fast. I get no lights flashing or siren. Also, the siren does not make sound when I lock/unlock the car.

One more thing, when I first scan the car with PA Soft it identifies the car as a 330i and while nothing would make me happier to learn that i bought a 330i in disguise, I wonder if this could indicate an issue.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to pass on to this now frustrated chick
bunnychickthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #64
flysca

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Windows 10 x64 walkthough?

I have been searching for days and cannot find a clear and concise PA Soft install for Windows 10 x64. I understand that the program is old and written for XP but the FTDI site keeps updating their drivers on a regular basis. That said, I cannot find the proper driver to read from the dongle and there are no adjustment settings to point the software to the USB serial adapter. Can anyone ponit me in the right direction please...
flysca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:57 AM   #65
LocoCan

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
win7 64-bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysca View Post
I have been searching for days and cannot find a clear and concise PA Soft install for Windows 10 x64. I understand that the program is old and written for XP but the FTDI site keeps updating their drivers on a regular basis. That said, I cannot find the proper driver to read from the dongle and there are no adjustment settings to point the software to the USB serial adapter. Can anyone ponit me in the right direction please...
For window7,
I used the install method from the first #1 post in the thread linked;

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=942966&highlight=pa+soft+driver+install

In a windows 7 (64 bit install) Going to the device manager and forcing one of the drivers to install. I may be doing it for a windows 10 computer in the future. I'm sure some people have already installed the drivers in win10.

Hope that helps.
LocoCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #66
flysca

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoCan View Post
For window7,

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=942966&highlight=pa+soft+driver+install

In a windows 7 (64 bit install) Going to the device manager and forcing one of the drivers to install. I may be doing it for a windows 10 computer in the future. I'm sure some people have already installed the drivers in win10.

Hope that helps.
Thank you. I thought that I had tried this but I will try again. I am the type of person with OCD and everything needs to work. And when it breaks, even if I cannot fix it, I like to know all that is wrong before I take it to my trusty maintenance shop. They keep my baby purring strong!
flysca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:26 PM   #67
kaboom28

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Need some help here. I've got a 05 330xi. When I run PA Soft 1.4, the software can't identify the car. I can access a small handful of modules. The connector already has pins 7 and 8 soldered together. Any pointers would be appreciated.
kaboom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:54 AM   #68
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
I put this here cause the other PA soft thread is a bit crowded - anyway this is a thread for dummies - so a pictorial is apt.
Thanks for this BMW-North
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:01 AM   #69
DEADF15H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoCan View Post
For window7,

Hope that helps.
I was able to install it on a Win 8.1 Dell lap top, after screwing around with the Device Manager, I just happened to stumble on a fix, but have no clue what I did. It can be done, but I can't tell you how. The computer has since been upgraded to Win 10. Haven't tried to use it yet. But will report back once I do.
EDIT: can't get it to work on Win 10. Luckily I have an old XP laptop that still runs it.

Last edited by DEADF15H; 03-25-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #70
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
I am in the same boat. Got it to work for 8.1/64 & 10/64 but it's really difficult to describe exactly how.
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:27 AM   #71
DEADF15H

Available on my 01 325i, Auto, build date 12/2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
I cannot get Live Data on my 2006 330cic, nor on my 2003 E39 M5.

I also recall looking at a few other E46 that I could not get Live Data on either.

I might try to check on any other E46 that I look at in the future, I have just not even bothered to even try to look for Live Data with PA Soft since I have not good luck with it in the past.

Glad I was not dreaming about this one.

Last edited by DEADF15H; 03-25-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:45 PM   #72
das boots

My Ride: '90 M3 & '05 ZHP
I just got my PA Soft. I am still reading through all threads available and understand before I install/run on my '05. I will be using a W7. Purchased a used Thinkpad (cheap from CL) 64 bit just for this.

Lawrence
BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742

'90 M3 - Garage Queen
'91 M Technic II Cabriolet 5 Spd - OOC
'99 M540i Touring - #2 Son DD
'03 530i 5 Spd - S.O.'s
'05 330 ZHP 6 Spd - Canyon Cruiser
'09 328i 2 Dr Step - #1 Son's DD
'03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
das boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #73
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Quote:
Originally Posted by das boots View Post
I just got my PA Soft. I am still reading through all threads available and understand before I install/run on my '05. I will be using a W7. Purchased a used Thinkpad (cheap from CL) 64 bit just for this.
Lots of folk do use PA Soft BMW Scanner 1.4.x on Windows 7 32 & 64 bit but often encounter compatibility & driver difficulties. If you bought an old laptop JUST FOR THIS as you stated why didn't you just stick with the native OS XP - would've been even cheaper and less likely to have issues?

Anyway good luck - it is a really valuable tool for maintaining these relics.

BMW-North E46 Electric Fan Guide

Download a clean working copy of BMW Standard Tools with Special Tests for e46 :
Single NRG file: Complete BMW Standard Tools Suite You will also need ISO Workshop (free edition - linked) to create the install directory (image) or disk. NRG file: 347,183 Kb
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #74
das boots

My Ride: '90 M3 & '05 ZHP
Quote:
Lots of folk do use PA Soft BMW Scanner 1.4.x on Windows 7 32 & 64 bit but often encounter compatibility & driver difficulties. If you bought an old laptop JUST FOR THIS as you stated why didn't you just stick with the native OS XP - would've been even cheaper and less likely to have issues?

Anyway good luck - it is a really valuable tool for maintaining these relics.
Unfortunately the laptop came with W7 64 bit. I did not have the option to choose. At least the seller really cleaned all junk out and freed out the memory. Make use on what I got.

Lawrence
BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742

'90 M3 - Garage Queen
'91 M Technic II Cabriolet 5 Spd - OOC
'99 M540i Touring - #2 Son DD
'03 530i 5 Spd - S.O.'s
'05 330 ZHP 6 Spd - Canyon Cruiser
'09 328i 2 Dr Step - #1 Son's DD
'03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck

Last edited by das boots; 03-28-2016 at 10:17 AM.
das boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:41 AM   #75
SP1200

My Ride: BMW 325i 2001
I have heard that people can bakup the code of the zke in case of accident erase. how is this possible?
SP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:52 AM   #76
SP1200

Ohh this is what I need to do!!

Quote:
There was a brief mention early in this thread about reading and writing the IKE eeprom in regard to making changes for one of the mods related to the temp buffer. However for Newbies to PA Soft the benefit of this ability to backup current vehicle configuration data using PA Soft was essentially overlooked.

I would recommend that any new user use the features of PA Soft that allow for backing up your vehicle information and settings before you attempt any coding or error clearing - especially if you are brand new to this.

Folk new to this tool may also end up clearing Diagnostic trouble Codes (DTC's) without addressing them or even noting them during their first use. Often these codes are very relevant to understanding prior history of a vehicle and issues it may have encountered if they have not been previously cleared and erased.

You'll be glad to know this historical info is still retrievable however by using Windows explorer to browse and review the actions you performed via the BMW Scanner session logs.

Your session log and any backup files you create will be stored under the folder you installed BMW Scanner 1.4.x to. Ie. C:\BMWScan140\MM-DD-YYDD-HH-MM-SS-%M

Retrieving Historical Data

Every time you connect the scanner to a vehicle the software creates a file folder under the BMWScan140 folder for that session that uses the date and time as the folder name. A session is defined as the period from which you initiate communication to the vehicle then quit the application. If you end the session then reconnect - even on the same vehicle - a new folder will be created with a different name (using the updated date & time info from the host)

Example here is the folder highlighted 8-21-2011_11-52-52-AM

Within this folder the software creates a text log file, again using the date and time as the name of the log file. In this example the log file was called 8-21-2011_11-52-52-AM.LOG

In addition to the vehicle identification data, scan results are written to this log file. The log file is appended during that session so errors cleared can be tracked. This sample log is attached below.

I have several e46's and other BMW's I use this program on. However the software does not create separate folders based upon VIN and only based upon the system date and time. Each session folder is unique to that vehicle however unless you pull the connector and plug it into another vehicle that has ignition on without backing out of application (Don't do this).

Backing up Data

For each different vehicle I use this software on the VERY FIRST TIME I backup everything before attempting any coding changes or even error clearing. You only need to this ONCE - You are just backing up all the original coding. You don't need to do this each time unless you make substantial coding changes and wish to back them up in addition to the original settings. In that case you might want to have different folders labelled where you place different backup files.

Backing up is done by reading and writing module epprom & initial factory settings to file. (Not all are available) This creates either a BIN file or an EPB file in the session folder. Within PA Soft for each module you will see options to READ MEMORY; READ DATA and/or READ EEPROM. You may choose to only backup modules where you plan to make coding changes. I usually spend about 10-15 mins backing up every module I can then putting that whole session folder away for future use as a backup.

The "read" action creates backup EPB & BIN files in the session folder. These files will be named according to the module/eeprom being read (I.e. ZKE_EEP.BIN; ZKE_HW20SW41.EPB etc.)

It takes BMW Scanner a wee while (few minutes) to read some of the main modules and store this data to file. I copied all my backup files to a separate media (USB stick) and put that away as a second backup in case the netbook HD dies.

Other modules require that you enter "Coding Data" to access the "Read Data" function shown in the image below. Once you click "Read Data" PA Soft will write the current settings to file in the session folder.

This way if I ever goof up writing to an eeprom (say for the Temp Buffer reduction) I have a back up. Or if I changed LCM setting PWM values to accommodate my LED lights and I restore the factory lights I can write the EPB file back and not have to try to remember what settings I changed.

The image below shows a session folder where many of the modules have been backed up (in contrast the folder for the 323 above only had two files from a basic scan)

I just thought that the very first thing someone with PA Soft who is new to it should do is backup everything before they start clearing errors and attempt to code anything.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:50 AM   #77
gusthehater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom28 View Post
Need some help here. I've got a 05 330xi. When I run PA Soft 1.4, the software can't identify the car. I can access a small handful of modules. The connector already has pins 7 and 8 soldered together. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I didn't think you'd have to solder the pins for an 05. I may be mistaken. I have an 04, and I think it only had the obd2 port under the dash. I don't think I have the round port under the hood.
gusthehater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #78
SP1200

Also... How to I recode the swapped out ZKE to my vehicles vin??
Is it as simple as changing the ADGF section??

Ohh never mind. I guess I have to use NCS for that.

Last edited by SP1200; 06-19-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #79
brianc843

I have a 2000 328 I should I be using the 20 pin under the hood because almost everything I click on says not found except for dme and egs
brianc843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #80
brianc843

Ok got the 20 pin today and I get everything except abs
brianc843 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coding, guide, manual, pa soft, tutorial