E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
kdoubt

My Ride: 330i
Meguiars headlight restore. Before & After

I replaced the engine filter today and figured I'd clean up under the hood. My dog tried to help hide the cloudy lenses in a shot I was going to share (and I guess will anyway)

So I used that as an excuse to go for a drive and grabbed a kit. It wasnt what I was after exactly so I figured I'd document it to see before and after. I went a little gung ho with the beers and became a photographer as well. This was $29 at Canadian Tire.

Box Contents

A good amount of shots I've ever posted usually come with comments about how the roundel and headlight lenses should be redone. I like instant gratification, and so I did the repair kit instead of new lenses. Heres the before finish up close.

First application is pretty scary. The bad goes to worse as far as clarity however you really have to spend some time on this part of the restoration. You're sanding out the stones and bugs you smashed apart at [insert speed here] for 10+ years. These lenses are most likely original to the car, and are definitely OEM as far as I can tell.

I didn't tape anything off like the instructions recommend. I didn't see the need as everything is done by hand at this point. Felt like I did this for an hour between them both.

Dried off the grit and grime from sanding with the cloth. Took some pics. This is after the 1000 grip sander only, right side only.

After the 3000 grit hand sanding, and first coat of the plastic x stuff they give you with the power drill & bit provided. Finally clearing up and nerves settling.

Second buff & coat.

Finished vs Unfinished. Also, I had no idea the housing for the projectors say Xeonon on them. I guess its good enough to read text you couldnt see if thats any value in a review.

I just liked this angle.

Finished both, lighting as well.

PS i'll trade anyone for the HID bulb in the passenger side for one truer to the drivers side. only 20 hours maximum on it.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Looks a lot better. What bulbs are in the lows? It's always best to replace bulbs in pairs to keep the colors the same.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
The HID lights cannot easily replace the lens like the earlier halogen housings where you can buy replacement lens and easily replace them.

A few suggestions, either remove the entire headlight housing, not very hard, usually 3 screws, some bulb connections and I recall the lower trim piece below the headlight may need to be released.

This way you can take a cardboard box or milk crate and hold the lights while you sand and polish so the paint is not disturbed or put blue painters tape around the headlight to protect the paint.

Technically the plastic will have a clear coat paint finish with UV protectant originally applied, I am kind of of the mind not to use clear coat, just clean and wax the lens regularly. This way if the lens cloud again, you do not need to cut through the clear coat to clean up the lens again.

It is amazing how bad pitted, clouded and discolored headlight lens can make a car look so bad. Also the headlight output can be impacted by poor conditions of the lens.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Bimmer 03e46

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Old Milly Ice? c'mon ...
Bimmer 03e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
MartyFnMcfly

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I think it's time to take your snow tires off.

Lenses look great btw. I just use wet sand paper, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000, 3000. Then 3m perfect-it 2 rubbing compound on my power buffer. Much faster than using a drill and costs much les than those "kits".
Old 05-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
HarleyRob

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Very nice!! Yucky lens can make a car look terrible. Nice clear lens can make a car look
Old 05-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #7
rsyed07

My Ride: E92 335is, E46 330i
Actually Jfoj the HID lens on mine came off very easily. There's a total of 8 or 10 tabs on it that snap it into place. I bought my car with the lens being crystal clear. Not sure if they ever have been replaced but I did take mine off when I installed angels. If they every do haze I would just buy new ones. I noticed on past cars no matter how much you clean or buff it doesn't look clean like it did on day 1 and its not a permanent fix.

But OP nice job on the cleaning.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed07 View Post
Actually Jfoj the HID lens on mine came off very easily. There's a total of 8 or 10 tabs on it that snap it into place. I bought my car with the lens being crystal clear. Not sure if they ever have been replaced but I did take mine off when I installed angels. If they every do haze I would just buy new ones. I noticed on past cars no matter how much you clean or buff it doesn't look clean like it did on day 1 and its not a permanent fix.
Might be a pre-Facelift thing? I know that most of the cars I dealt with have glue on lens or like my E39 had silicon sealed lens that could not be baked apart.

I have replaced pre-facelift halogen lens in the past without too much issue either getting the lens changing them.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
Vader

My Ride: E46 Touring, E36 328
The OCD in me was quite bothered that you didnt tape anything off lol. I was a little worried for a sec, however the results turned out fantastic!

If you need new HID bulbs go check out www.vvme.com. They have HID kits for manufacturer pricing. Quality is quite good, but not the best in the world. They will last a fair while.

E36 328i - Canyonrot Metallic | OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | M3 Contours | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
E46 325xi Touring - Orientblau Metallic

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club #343!

Canadian Alpina Forum
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
mikeetastic

My Ride: lots of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Might be a pre-Facelift thing? I know that most of the cars I dealt with have glue on lens or like my E39 had silicon sealed lens that could not be baked apart.

I have replaced pre-facelift halogen lens in the past without too much issue either getting the lens changing them.
AFAIK only facelift coupe like mine is not replaceable..

coupe, sedan, wagon preface and facelift sedan has a user replaceable lens that can be bought online.
mikeetastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #11
rsyed07

^this. I have a face-lifted sedan with AL bi-xenons. It was easy. I actually prefer the snap on snap off design.

Last edited by rsyed07; 05-15-2015 at 10:40 AM.
rsyed07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #12
jllphan

My Ride: is getting there
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Looks great, nice work. Just a heads up, you can replace your lenses cheaply and easily. I waited and waited to do this fearing that dust might get inside while the old lenses were off or condensation might result once the new lenses were on or a host of other things. Couldn't be farther from the truth, knocked it out in under an hour and looks soooo much better.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #13
rsyed07

I was worried about condensation too but if all tabs snap on your good to go. Its really easy, just unscrew your corner signal, pull out your headlight washer a bit if you have one, take off the bottom body trim, and it gives you access to the tabs without taking out the entire headlight housing off the car.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
JasonLI25t

My Ride: 2000 323ci
the compounds/chemicals used won't harm the paint (could probably even polish with it, not that i recommend it) so there is no need to tape unless you are worried your hand will slip while sanding. It might make a mess and get on the windows but that's why I wash the car over again after any sort of machine polishing to any part. The most important thing to avoid is getting any compound or polish on unpainted black plastic...it'll come out but it can be a pain especially if it dries in the sun, so if any slings wipe it up quickly with instant detailer or the soap solution you are using.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #15
kdoubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Looks a lot better. What bulbs are in the lows? It's always best to replace bulbs in pairs to keep the colors the same.
I was assured at Napa that it was the same bulb, but I understand they change over time. It bothers me, but not enough to toss out a perfectly good $170 bulb yaknow? Daily driver, and theres some other things I've got on the list before the bulb. Good advice though.

Edit: I may have overpaid... http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46-d2s-x...ment-bulb.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer 03e46 View Post
Old Milly Ice? c'mon ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyFnMcfly View Post
I think it's time to take your snow tires off.

Lenses look great btw. I just use wet sand paper, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000, 3000. Then 3m perfect-it 2 rubbing compound on my power buffer. Much faster than using a drill and costs much les than those "kits".
These are all things I don't currently own. All of the sanding was done by hand. Just the final buffing was done with the drill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
The OCD in me was quite bothered that you didnt tape anything off lol. I was a little worried for a sec, however the results turned out fantastic!

If you need new HID bulbs go check out www.vvme.com. They have HID kits for manufacturer pricing. Quality is quite good, but not the best in the world. They will last a fair while.
Always appreciate a good resource, thanks. Also, I usually am a little more OCD but again this was all done by hand so it was pretty well controlled. Didnt even have to tape off the corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetastic View Post
AFAIK only facelift coupe like mine is not replaceable..

coupe, sedan, wagon preface and facelift sedan has a user replaceable lens that can be bought online.
Drop down menu shows a few different options. This car is an 04' sedan but shipping isnt free to Canada so took the budget option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLI25t View Post
the compounds/chemicals used won't harm the paint (could probably even polish with it, not that i recommend it) so there is no need to tape unless you are worried your hand will slip while sanding. It might make a mess and get on the windows but that's why I wash the car over again after any sort of machine polishing to any part. The most important thing to avoid is getting any compound or polish on unpainted black plastic...it'll come out but it can be a pain especially if it dries in the sun, so if any slings wipe it up quickly with instant detailer or the soap solution you are using.
Yea I wasnt too concerned about the little piece of plastic below the lense. Quick wipe now and again (since you're doing it anyway every few minutes).

Happy with cost, happy with results for what it is.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #16
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoubt View Post
I was assured at Napa that it was the same bulb, but I understand they change over time. It bothers me, but not enough to toss out a perfectly good $170 bulb yaknow? Daily driver, and theres some other things I've got on the list before the bulb. Good advice though.

Edit: I may have overpaid... http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46-d2s-x...ment-bulb.html
What brand was the bulb?

This is what genuine Sylvania and Philips bulbs go for

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VVYryvlVhBc

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VVYr1flVhBc

Don't even look at those Khoalty bulbs, they're cheap aftermarket junk
Old 05-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #17
mmiller2002

My Ride: '04 330Ci
I wouldn't trust my hand to be so steady with the power sander/drill...

Anyway, I did this on my '02 WRX using the 3M kit 3-4 years ago and they looked great too. Since there was no more UV coating I figured they would cloud again faster so I bought the Lamin-X clear cover kit. I highly recommend it!

Last edited by mmiller2002; 05-15-2015 at 01:01 PM.
mmiller2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #18
kdoubt

I believe it was a NAPA brand bulb. Similar to this: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...D2S_0354422543

I was going to do some night driving so was had to buy in a pinch.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #19
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Damn, sucks but you had no choice.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #20
vagcave

My Ride: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer 03e46 View Post
Old Milly Ice? c'mon ...