E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
RichardSavage

My Ride: 2001 330XI
Thumbs down Was in accident, Need some advice!!!

All right, so I got into an accident last August. Brought my car to a garage for the first time ever in my life since I thought I had collision, Turns out I was wrong. Told the guy I'd pay cash just fix my baby. Got a call two weeks later, All the mechanical stuff fix and he wanted to know what route I wanted to to go body wise. So I came down paid him $1000 for an inner tie rod, radiation, washer fluid pump, and labor. Which I found obscene!!!!(He broke the top nipple off the expansion tank, cracked the upper hose, did not replace the fan shroud, broke off both drivers side door handles, scratched the hell out of my trunk, etc I'll get into this later ) At this point, I told him to see what he could find used and get me an estimate with whatever he came up with. I called him every single Friday asking what the deal was. He was very rude to me every time I called saying he's working on it blah blah blah excuse excuse excuse. (Think it's cuz he knew he messed everything up and did not know what he was doing and clearly he did not! I got a mile down the road and the thermostat pegged so I immediately he didn't bleed the system and it was a GALLON low)SO I got free winter storage since I just got the car back two weeks ago. I had ordered everything but a new bumper cover and I am going with a M3 style Which I now have (less the internals for the drivers door handle since when it was snapped off, The bastard must've ripped it out when it broke so it broke an $80 part) I can't bring this guy to court or file a claim with the DMV since it's been so long since I paid the bill even though I just got the car back and discover all this. I though the coolant leak was just from the bleeder screw which was cracked. Didn't discover the real issues until I plugged it with a pipe plug. So I have a new fender and pulled the front bumper and the supports off since I have to tweak the bumper a smidge and use a press to straighten the bracket on the suppost. Basically everything I go to fix has been a nightmare thanks to this guy!!!! WHO SPECIALIZES IN IMPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing I'm concerned with now is pulling the front end straight. The front of the inner wheel well and the top radiator support bracket at pushed in and back ever so slightly (about a 1/2''-1" both ways) I'm not really a body guy, so whats my best option to pulls this back? Block my wheels and use a come-a-long attached to a hearty tree or what? Go little by little and test fit my new fender and headlight til I get there? Also if anyone has a used passenger bi-xenon headlight for sale or has a link to aftermarket ones that actually will work that would be appreciated. Sorry for the essay for a simple question. I just want you to see what lead up to these horrific circumstances. I'm posting pictures in an album in my profile since I font know how to on here. Thank you guys in advance!!!!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Vader

My Ride: E46 Touring, E36 328
Explain to me why you cant sue him? What is the statute of limitations on civil matters? I would be sueing this guy for sure. He basically made the situation way worse based on what you said.

Basically, you got screwed. Do you have the car in your possession or not?

If the front end is bent, then the car is normally a write off. In my opinon i would not just "try to straighten it" because if its not done correctly the alignment will be off forever and their is nothing you would be able to do to fix it except have it straightened properly. We would need to see detailed pictures to really see the extent of the damage.

E36 328i - Canyonrot Metallic | OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | M3 Contours | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
E46 325xi Touring - Orientblau Metallic

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club #343!

Canadian Alpina Forum
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
illuminated

My Ride: '99 S2 M3 | 5MT
Next time you call this unprofessional jackass, record it. There are various apps to record phonecalls for free. I would most certainly bring this to civil court, you cannot let this guy get away treating a customer like this... let alone one that pays in cash up front. Lesson learned - if a shop dicks you around for a second, show up at their doorstep until either (1) they forfeit doing work and give you your car back or (2) start running their business correctly and handle repairs in a timely and careful (i.e. scratching your trunk) manner.

F3RN

Need anything 3D printed? I'm your guy. Send me a pm
illuminated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
RichardSavage

This issue with suing him is the fact that the car was in my Uncle's name and the shop bills in his name due to insane insurance prices for me and thinking there was collision on the car. My Uncle is a millionaire and could care less. He basically washed his hands of the situation so I have to pay out of pocket for parts and everything.

As for the car itself, the frame isn't bent. Look at the pictures in my profile, I posted them for a reason. It is just the thin metal inside the wheel well and the radiator support. I've straightened everything else out (bumper and hood) I just wanted advice on how to straighten the metal, not legal advice. We are on a BMW forum right? Either way I will be doing this in the morning so any advice by then would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:03 AM   #5
glhx

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Alright....now that we have the pictures of this wreck out of his profile and here where they belong we might be able to sort is out. The first thing I see is beer.......so.......I'm going to get a beer and then I'll look at it

-

-

-

-

-

-

Last edited by glhx; 06-06-2015 at 02:07 AM.
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #6
glhx

So now I have a beer.....and not that cheap Budlight stuff. It's a hobgoblin by wychwood. Excellent beer

I see what your saying by in and back. Basically it's been pushed diagonal toward the drivers door a little.

You can do as you say and use a tree with a puller. It will work as long as you can plant the car without bending anything else (not likely to bend anything)

metal has what is called memory. The metal wants to be back where it was....right now it's stressed. If you were to pull back on it reversing what happened it would go back to its preferred shape easily.

Being that the old fender is trashed......i would put it back on and pull from there. Hook in by the corner light.....inside the corner light housing. You could even drill a hole so the tip of the hook stays in the fender where you want it to put on the most pressure.....and that's Even with the bolt.
Too high and you will pull the damage vertical up. You don't want that.....you want it out.
You really want all the pull as close to the tip of the front as possible. But not put the hook higher Than the bolt
Either way......forward of the damage is where you want to pull. And it probably won't take much.

Looking at it again......put the hook......past the bolt. Put it at the fenders body line close to the front for leverage.
It's hard to explain bodywork like this. If you have problems call me

Let's say you can't pull it back out. Then.......slot the fender to the point where you can adjust it. 1/2 is not going to matter. I wouldnt do this myself, as I would just pull back the damage.
But it could be done and would be fine. So.....maybe I would do this. Who knows.

Be patient.....you will find this.....yu should find a fender same color. It will match closer than trying to paint match. If not...l,have a shop blend it. I would personally get a silver fender scratch free from eBay. I paid $125 for mine. I just saw one sell on eBay.

As far as the light....not sure. I see them all the time for sale. I also think a halogen housing will work with the xenon stuff. I forget. .....when my car was wrecked I think I saw this.

What I did. What's wrong with your xenon housing. Is it broken? Is it beyond repair? It looks fine to me. There weren't specifics on it. Either way.......who cares. A soldering iron will plastic weld any of the polypropylene parts back on. A busted tab....melt it back on. It will hold fine because it's not structural. They are a little bit brittle. I did this with my headlight tab......still there and fine.

Aftermarket headlights......don't bother. Find a good used one.
Might even be a good time to get some zkw lenses. Look at my sig on how to paint a car as well

I've welded a lot of plastic parts with a soldering iron. My inner fender is like this. It's not seen so who cares. Parts like that don't matter. The bottom of my inner fender looks like Frankenstein.

Last edited by glhx; 06-06-2015 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:54 AM   #7
glhx

For that kind of money and that little of work. You can drive it here....buy all the parts.....I'll charge you labor.....then you can drive back.

And still save $200
Old 06-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
RichardSavage

Never even thought of plastic welding the tabs back on the headlight. I did buy huge washers to drill a hole and use an eye bolt to hook to. I just want to be able to pull it out and get the fender to fit somewhat properly. My buddy and I got the aluminum bumper and bracket all straightened out and did some small stuff elsewhere. You're basically saying pull straight off the front and not at the angle at which the force happened.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
glhx

With plastic welding......if you want excellent strength and load bearing capability. You add metal mesh....stuff you find at lowes
You place the mesh over the plastic and melt it through the mesh. Gets really strong this way.

No.......at the fender you see a body line. About 3" down from the top of the fender.

All the way in front.......ont the SIDE of the fender. Drill in that body line.
The body line is even with where the fender bolts to the top of the structure.

For instance......if the fender was off the car. I would tell you to put the puller in the front bolt hole that the fender uses. The front one of the set that runs to the windshield.

I don't want you to do that because we don't want to ruin that hole and we don't want to pull the structure downward.

So the next best thing is to hook onto the fender in that area.....but more forward. I'll try to post a picture later of where I mean. Don't have time right now. Put a hook into the corner light housing......the hole you drilled will hold the sharp part of the hook. The eye bolt and washes will work just as well

If your standing in front of the the wheel. As in your toes point to the lug nuts. You would pull the fender towards you directly or maybe towards your left arm......

One is straight out....the other direction is diagonally back....

I might edit this post later today

Last edited by glhx; 06-06-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
glhx

Drill dead center in the middle of this picture ......into the body line.......
-

Last edited by glhx; 06-06-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
glhx

At this point I hope we're talking about the same area.....

The core support has two bolts.
There is a silver bolt next to it.....and in between it.

If I'm correct your saying you want that silver bolt 1/2" back away from the core support
Old 06-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #12
RichardSavage

So I'm trying like hell to get pictures up but its not letting me. I appreciate the wisdom. I'm trying to up load now
Old 06-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #13
RichardSavage

http://tinypic.com/r/2web3fp/8
http://tinypic.com/r/2m2do4j/8
Drill at the X, mount the fender, run an eye bolt through backed with washers, pull it at about a 45 out from the rad support correct? I'm going to drill and mount the fender then check back
Old 06-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #14
RichardSavage

One-straight to the side
http://tinypic.com/r/2iub4mp/8
Two-straight forward
http://tinypic.com/r/jzy0p1/8
Three-45
http://tinypic.com/r/27zhyjs/8

I'm thinking the forty five. This is how the car sits. Doing as I said and I'll check back. This is just for crystal clarity!
Old 06-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #15
RichardSavage

Eye hook placement
http://tinypic.com/r/v7rq79/8
Way I have car set up to hook around the tree and pull, please tell me if this isn't what you're explaining and I will adjust accordingly
http://tinypic.com/r/2nivbdk/8

Sorry for the links, cannot get pictures in my threads!!!

Last edited by RichardSavage; 06-06-2015 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Cannot get pics to show in thread
RichardSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #16
glhx

Open a flicker account.
Or photo bucket.

Transfer the picture you want into it
There will be a link......paste the link.

I use flickrstacker on my iPad......there at the top will be the < sign with the 3 dots
Then choose be code to get the link

Last edited by glhx; 06-06-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #17
glhx

-

This is Flickr stacker app on my iPad. The apps provide links like this.....since I use this it's the one I post pics of. It might be iPad only.....no idea because I never had to know anything else

Last edited by glhx; 06-06-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #18
glhx

I guess you can do it that way.....but I would have put the fender back on the car and used it to pull
Old 06-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #19
glhx

This is correct....a little more forward on the fender but this is fine

This is a good angle.....maybe to the left some......say 20 But not necessary.-

Combine the top picture with the bottom one

Your basically going in reverse as to what cause it. The angle of whatever hit the fender....go the opposite way

Last edited by glhx; 06-06-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #20
RichardSavage

I figured that the idea was to pull the same way it was pushed. I can always drill another hole and move the eye but it will raise the possibility of a tear and then I'm at square one. The eye bolt is inline with the front bolt hole. I was just using the red strap as something to stand out from the background. I'm sure I'd destroy it with the pressure from the come a long.

Tags
body, bumper repair, cooling system, fender, headlight