E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
330civert,msport

My Ride: 330ci M Sport Vert
Suspension help

Hi I have done lots of reading up on this but can't seem to find the exact issue I have so thought I would just ask.

I have a 2003 BMW 330 ci convertible m sport it's a great car and I thought I'd get the suspension changed so after some research I went with budget coilover off ebay called pro sport as I had herd good things about them. I've had them fitted about 6 months now and I hate them lol. The roads around where I live in Essex are pretty bad and I've had enough of the bumpy crashy ride.

But I do like how it sits being a bit lower. My car is just a DD never going on a track and mostly just drive around town and the odd long trip/holiday.

Ive decided I'm going with the eibach lowering springs for the convertible as they are perfect for what I'm looking for but I can't make my mind up on the shocks and struts. I read one post someone wrote saying use the SE shocks and struts with the eibach springs for the most comfortable ride but as my car is a m-sport will they work ? Is it even a good idea ? Or would I be better going with the m-sport shocks and struts ? I don't drive it too the limit that much any more as often have the family in the car but I do like good handling for when the mood takes me and there is no children or dogs in with me lol.

I asked a couple of parts suppliers and most of them said those parts won't work on my car but I have read lots of people with the non sport cars putting the sports suspension on them. so I can't see why it won't work the other way round? But all the new parts come to just over 500 so I don't want to get them all and find out it won't work.

My main priority is comfort for going over the pot holes , cracks , speed bumps uneven road as it's truly shocking compared to lots of places in the country which I realise visiting other county's.

Sorry that this went on so long but I've been researching this loads over the last few weeks and want to do something ASAP so any help would be great. Thanks
330civert,msport is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
1) wrong forum.

2) try using "search" button.............
Old 08-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
330civert,msport

This is e46 fanatics ? I have searched but there is a lot of conflicting answers.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330civert,msport View Post
This is e46 fanatics ? I have searched but there is a lot of conflicting answers.
Yes, yes it is.

But you're asking for Suspension help in the sub forum marked for Forced Induction (Turbos / Superchargers / Nitrous).

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
330civert,msport

Oh right didn't realise that lol. How do I post this where it needs to be ? Thanks rob43
Old 08-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Oh right didn't realise that lol. How do I post this where it needs to be ? Thanks rob43
It will get moved shortly.

BTW, I looked up the coilovers you bought, they are the Lowest quality Chinese built C/O's anyone could buy for an E46.

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
330civert,msport

Cheers pal. There was quite a few reviews from people saying they had them and they liked them but I think it must of been in their heads as I think they are rubbish and has made my nice car feel like crap now. So that's why I'm going to go with Sachs shocks and struts and eibach springs with all new monts, pads, bump stops and do it properly with good brand items. I learnt my lesson if it seems to good to be true it is. But I just don't know if I should go with m-sport shocks and struts or the non m-sport ? Do you have any ideas ? I'm guessing the new sport set up will feel great compared to how it does now but I don't know if it will feel any better by putting the non sport set up on. I don't track the car but I do like to enjoy what it's made for when I get the chance :-) but I spend most of the time driving round town and roads are really bad. Do you know what the difference between the 2 set ups will be in real word driving ? Is it a bad idea to put non sport stuff on ?
Old 08-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Yes, I understand your questions & know the answers.

Since you've chosen the Eibach Pro-Kit springs, the correct Sachs dampers would be the M Sport (Sport) dampers. This is because you're trying to control a more aggressive spring than your stock OE springs.

If you can buy the Koni* dampers at 25% off like we can in the U.S., I'd buy the Koni FSD 4 to 1 Over the Sachs dampers. Best USA pricing on the FSD's is about $545, you'd need to figure out how much shipping & taxes would affect your pricing though.

Rob43

* Sale ends at the end of August.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
330civert,msport

I can get the koni yellow adjustable dampers here in UK for 440 but I read even on the lowest setting they are quite stiff over pot holes and roads that are not smooth ? Do you have them on your e46 ? What e46 do you have ? I herd the eibach ride no different to stock as they are such a good spring and they work with either sport or non sport dampers but as my car is a sport I was starting to think I'd be better sticking to the sport dampers. just wanted to get some opions before I made another suspension error. Do you have eibach springs ? Are they a good spring ? Thanks for you advice
Old 08-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
I can get the koni yellow adjustable dampers here in UK for 440 but I read even on the lowest setting they are quite stiff over pot holes and roads that are not smooth ? Do you have them on your e46 ? What e46 do you have ? I herd the eibach ride no different to stock as they are such a good spring and they work with either sport or non sport dampers but as my car is a sport I was starting to think I'd be better sticking to the sport dampers. just wanted to get some opions before I made another suspension error. Do you have eibach springs ? Are they a good spring ? Thanks for you advice
I have owned all of these products at some point in my life & understand quite well how they all work together.

Eibachs vs OE Sport springs = The Eibachs will drop your car about ~25mm's & will be roughly 10 to 20 % firmer in overall feel when compared to OE.

Sachs Sports vs Koni Sports = It's harder to put a number on this one, so I'll say a little firmer to much firmer depending on the Koni sport setting. One thing you're not thinking of is this, the Koni Sports "Should" last much longer when running them with a lowering spring.

Rob43

Quote:

Last edited by Rob43; 08-25-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #11
330civert,msport

That's great cheers rob that makes a lot of sense. So oe non sport option is now out the window. And I think I'd rather a little extra comfort even if it means them not lasting quite as long. But for all the extra benefits of the eibach I would be ok sacrificing 10-20% of the comfort there. And this is all sounding like a nice set up to have as I'm replacing everything that has to do with comfort and ride quality and even though the eibach are slightly firmer would I be correct in thinking if I do go with this set up it has got to ride a lot better than the coil overs I'm on now and got to be better than the original suspension that as far as I can tell the rusty springs and leaky dampers have never been changed car has 115k on now. So hopefully it will be like a cloud compared to what I'm used too lol.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
330civert,msport

Hi rob just to pick your brain a bit more as you obviously know your stuff here. These are the parts in planning on changing. Is there anything else you would recommend changing to get the best possible ride comfort and handling out of my car ?

Front Shock
Rear Shock
Front Top Mount
Rear Top Mount
Front Bump Stop Kit
Rear Bump Stop Kit
Spring Pad Set (8)
Eibach Spring Kit
Old 08-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
Rob43
OEM ///Member

I think that's a solid list, I believe you'll Really like the ride quality of the Eibach Pro-Kit springs matched with the Sachs Sport shocks. Compared to your Chinese built C/O's, your overall feel will be incredible.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 08-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #14
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
I'm just going to throw my two pence in as well....

You can't go wrong on suspension listening to Rob.

I have a year on my Koni STRs (otherwise factory sport suspension)on my saloon. I recently bought a touring/estate with the factory sport suspension in great shape .

I can tell you the Konis smooth the bumps much better than the Sachs. Everything I've read about the FSDs tell me they are even that much better than the STRs. You'll probably like them quite well indeed.

Something most enthusiasts who have never raced fail to fully understand is just how much the dampers contribute to not only performance, but ride as well. I drove a Nissan Sentra SE-R (b13 chassis Sunny with SR20DE engine) with basically a track set-up for spring rates (not quite full race) with Koni 8611 dampers. On a quite bumpy road, even with the high spring rates, the car felt as good or better than a lot of weak aftermarket suspensions that were popular. You see, the dampers matter FAR more than the spring rates (to a point - a much higher point than most people think).

If you don't go with better coil overs, the Eibachs w/ Koni FSDs will probably be a nice set-up for you.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:30 PM   #15
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post

I have a year on my Koni STRs (otherwise factory sport suspension)on my saloon. I recently bought a touring/estate with the factory sport suspension in great shape .

I can tell you the Konis smooth the bumps much better than the Sachs. Everything I've read about the FSDs tell me they are even that much better than the STRs. You'll probably like them quite well indeed.

Something most enthusiasts who have never raced fail to fully understand is just how much the dampers contribute to not only performance, but ride as well. I drove a Nissan Sentra SE-R (b13 chassis Sunny with SR20DE engine) with basically a track set-up for spring rates (not quite full race) with Koni 8611 dampers. On a quite bumpy road, even with the high spring rates, the car felt as good or better than a lot of weak aftermarket suspensions that were popular. You see, the dampers matter FAR more than the spring rates (to a point - a much higher point than most people think).

If you don't go with better coil overs, the Eibachs w/ Koni FSDs will probably be a nice set-up for you.
Very good stuff.

Like George mentioned, you should also look into the STR.t's as an option.

"IF" the STR.t's could be bought for about the same price as the Sachs, I'd say that they'd edge out the Sachs in overall ride feel/quality with your new Pro-Kit springs.

Rob43

Quote:

Last edited by Rob43; 08-25-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:15 AM   #16
hrc

My Ride: 02 325i 06 E90 330i
I don't know how well this is going to be received, hopefully well since the intent is not meant to attack anyone. Cheap is cheap, I think we could do without the Chinese reference. I am a Chinese American and although I'm born n raised here in the USA, I can do without that just the same as the "Chinese are good at math" stereotype.

Thanks,
Danny

Last edited by hrc; 08-26-2015 at 01:16 AM.
hrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #17
330civert,msport

Great info thanks rob43 and geo31 I've found a UK supplier called demon tweeks and they have the koni str set but all sets come with h&r springs which I read they are quite a bit stiffer than eibach. I have sent them an email asking if they could do them with the eibach springs instead of the h&r. The price I got for the Sachs and eibach springs without the mounts, bumps stops and spring pads is 434. sport Sachs 50 more than non sport and everything all together is 558.00. But the koni str kit is 20% off at the moment and only 348 but that is with the h&r springs so it will be interesting to see how much it goes up with putting the eibach on there. But looks like it's going to be close. I've got a week off work next week and plan on getting this all done in a day, hopefully! I've done the rears before as I took out the pro sport and put the rusty oem sport springs back just to see if that made a difference and it did. It was a big difference too so can't wait to put all the good brand new stuff on. Now just gotta wait for the price lol
Old 08-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #18
330civert,msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Very good stuff.

Like George mentioned, you should also look into the STR.t's as an option.

"IF" the STR.t's could be bought for about the same price as the Sachs, I'd say that they'd edge out the Sachs in overall ride feel/quality with your new Pro-Kit springs.

Rob43
Hi rob I just got this message from one of the sellers I sent a message to asking about the price. Would you agree with what he is saying ? I thought the b4 shocks were supposed to be not as comfortable as Sachs but he is saying the b4s are a bit more comfortable than the str.t which you were saying are slightly better than the Sachs but I've herd people saying the b4s give a bouncy ride with the ebiach and stock sport springs ?

Good afternoon,

There are two options that we can offer. The first would be the Koni STR.T shocks which you have found along with the Eibach springs. The STR.T shocks are slightly more uprated than the standard shocks and along with the Eibach springs would give a good balance between performance and comfort. The STRT shocks with the Eibach pro-kit springs would be 450 all in.

The second option would be using the proper M-Sport Bilstein B4 shock absorbers with the Eibach springs. This set up would give you a little more comfort than the STRT set-up however as the shocks are for the M-Sport they will happily take a lowered spring. The price of this set will be the same as the Koni/Eibach kit.

Just to make you aware, Eibach list a drop of 40mm front and 20-25mm rear for their springs however this is for an SE car. As your car has the M-Sport suspension it is already around 15mm lower so the drop will be more like 25mm front and 5-10mm rear.

You can order either set by calling us on 01935 829671.

Thanks, Ross.

This is one of the reasons I have not made a decision yet lol but this person just sells these items where as you guys here have tried and tested so I'd listen more to your advice than the seller of the kits.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #19
330civert,msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post

Hi geo31 I just got this message from one of the sellers I sent a message to asking about the price. Would you agree with what he is saying ? I thought the b4 shocks were supposed to be not as comfortable as Sachs but he is saying the b4s are a bit more comfortable than the str.t which you were saying are slightly better than the Sachs but I've herd people saying the b4s give a bouncy ride with the ebiach and stock sport springs ?

Good afternoon,

There are two options that we can offer. The first would be the Koni STR.T shocks which you have found along with the Eibach springs. The STR.T shocks are slightly more uprated than the standard shocks and along with the Eibach springs would give a good balance between performance and comfort. The STRT shocks with the Eibach pro-kit springs would be 450 all in.

The second option would be using the proper M-Sport Bilstein B4 shock absorbers with the Eibach springs. This set up would give you a little more comfort than the STRT set-up however as the shocks are for the M-Sport they will happily take a lowered spring. The price of this set will be the same as the Koni/Eibach kit.

Just to make you aware, Eibach list a drop of 40mm front and 20-25mm rear for their springs however this is for an SE car. As your car has the M-Sport suspension it is already around 15mm lower so the drop will be more like 25mm front and 5-10mm rear.

You can order either set by calling us on 01935 829671.

Thanks, Ross.

This is one of the reasons I have not made a decision yet lol but this person just sells these items where as you guys here have tried and tested so I'd listen more to your advice than the seller of the kits.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #20
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
I've never driven or rode in a car with the Bilsteins, however, all indications I've ever read is they are more harsh than the Sachs.

I'd not worry too much about the difference in spring rates between the Eibachs and the H&Rs. As I previously mentioned, the dampers will play a much greater role in how harsh your suspension feels. From everything I've read, the Koni FSDs with either the H&R or Eibach ProKit springs will give you one of the best combinations of ride and handling for a daily driver. The STR.T dampers with either of those spring set-ups is also regarded well. I've not experienced that exact set-up, but again, from accounts I've read, the feel with either of those spring sets is not too different from using the factory sport suspension springs.

From a personal point of view, I thought about moving the Koni STR.Ts from my sedan to my touring, but for now I'm going to let things be as they are. When the time comes to replace the dampers in my touring I'll either get coilovers or a set of Koni FSDs.

Anyway, given the desires you've stated, I think you'd be best off with either set of Koni dampers combined with either set of springs you're considering. A little extra spring rate I think will not be noticed much, except if it keeps the suspension off the bump stops, you'll notice a big difference since when you hit the bump stops, your spring rate goes virtually infinitely high.

Rob?

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comfort, convertible, m-sport, suspension