E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #21
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
First an analogy.

On the LEFT side of the road there are 3 restaurants:

1) McDonald's
2) Burger King
3) Carl's Jr.

On the RIGHT side of the road there are also 3 restaurants:

1) The Premier Steak House
2) The Premier Chinese Restaurant
3) The Premier Italian Restaurant

Your first choice was to go cheap so you picked restaurant number 1 on the LEFT side of the road, but you soon realized this was a bad choice for you.

Now you've decided to eat at one of the restaurants on the RIGHT side of the road, at this point it really doesn't
matter which one you choose because ALL OF THEM ARE A GOOD CHOICE.

So yes, it's my opinion that whatever you pick at this point will be a good choice. Having said that I think I'd pick the Eibach Pro-Kit springs with the Koni STR.t's, I believe that within this category* of dampers these would be best.

I really look forward to what you finally decide on buying, after everything is installed I also look forward to what your 200 km (distance) driving impressions are.

Rob43

* The Koni FSD & Koni Sport would still be my overall first choice, but they would certainly cost hundreds of dollars more to buy.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #22
330civert,msport

My Ride: 330ci M Sport Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
First an analogy.

On the LEFT side of the road there are 3 restaurants:

1) McDonald's
2) Burger King
3) Carl's Jr.

On the RIGHT side of the road there are also 3 restaurants:

1) The Premier Steak House
2) The Premier Chinese Restaurant
3) The Premier Italian Restaurant

Your first choice was to go cheap so you picked restaurant number 1 on the LEFT side of the road, but you soon realized this was a bad choice for you.

Now you've decided to eat at one of the restaurants on the RIGHT side of the road, at this point it really doesn't
matter which one you choose because ALL OF THEM ARE A GOOD CHOICE.

So yes, it's my opinion that whatever you pick at this point will be a good choice. Having said that I think I'd pick the Eibach Pro-Kit springs with the Koni STR.t's, I believe that within this category* of dampers these would be best.

I really look forward to what you finally decide on buying, after everything is installed I also look forward to what your 200 km (distance) driving impressions are.

Rob43

* The Koni FSD & Koni Sport would still be my overall first choice, but they would certainly cost hundreds of dollars more to buy.
That's great cheers rob. I have now decided to go with the koni strt and I want the eibach springs. but the strt are on special with the h&r springs for 360 and if I want the eibach instead of the h&r it will be 450. So is it worth the extra 90 to get the eibach ? I'm surprised it's 90 more as both springs on ebay are the same sort of money 150 ish on their own. Will there be a noticeable difference if drive /comfort ? And the kit with h&r states a drop of 35f 20r.
330civert,msport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #23
330civert,msport

[QUOTE=Geo31;16738361]I've never driven or rode in a car with the Bilsteins, however, all indications I've ever read is they are more harsh than the Sachs.

I'd not worry too much about the difference in spring rates between the Eibachs and the H&Rs. As I previously mentioned, the dampers will play a much greater role in how harsh your suspension feels. From everything I've read, the Koni FSDs with either the H&R or Eibach ProKit springs will give you one of the best combinations of ride and handling for a daily driver. The STR.T dampers with either of those spring set-ups is also regarded well. I've not experienced that exact set-up, but again, from accounts I've read, the feel with either of those spring sets is not too different from using the factory sport suspension springs.

From a personal point of view, I thought about moving the Koni STR.Ts from my sedan to my touring, but for now I'm going to let things be as they are. When the time comes to replace the dampers in my touring I'll either get coilovers or a set of Koni FSDs.

Anyway, given the desires you've stated, I think you'd be best off with either set of Koni dampers combined with either set of springs you're considering. A little extra spring rate I think will not be noticed much, except if it keeps the suspension off the bump stops, you'll notice a big difference since when you hit the bump stops, your spring rate goes virtually infinitely high.

Rob?[/QUOTE

thanks geo I have now decided to go with strt and there is a kit for 360 and it comes with h&r springs but I can change them to eibach for an extra 90 which seems high as both sets are about the same price on their own. But I take it from what you have said there is no need to pay out the extra 90 just to swap springs ? As it's the dampers that are going to be doing most of the work any way. So would I be right in thinking it will be a good choice and still a lot better than my cheap c/o to stick to the kit they have paired up together ? Or with comfort a big priority would I be better to up grade the springs ? I guess I always have the option of switching the h&r springs for eibach a couple of months down the road if I found them to not be as good as I want? I'm saying comfort is my main priority but that's because I've had old used stock parts on since I got the car 5 years ago then swapped to the crap c/o so this kit probably would feel extremely comfortable to me compared with what I'm used too (I think lol) ?
Old 08-27-2015, 11:56 PM   #24
Rob43
OEM ///Member

In a perfect world I'd say get the Pro-Kit springs, but they certainly are charging you A LOT more to buy them, so get the H&R Sports to save $$.

I'm beyond confident that you'll be Very Happy with your Koni STR.t's & H&R Sports suspension system. Also take several good pics when finished, specifically side shots where the camera lens is about 0.8 meters off the ground.

I'll be waiting for your 200 km update !

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #25
330civert,msport

Quote:
In a perfect world I'd say get the Pro-Kit springs, but they certainly are charging you A LOT more to buy them, so get the H&R Sports to save $$.

I'm beyond confident that you'll be Very Happy with your Koni STR.t's & H&R Sports suspension system. Also take several good pics when finished, specifically side shots where the camera lens is about 0.8 meters off the ground.

I'll be waiting for your 200 km update !

Rob43
Ok so I've now changed my mind again lol. From what I want and from what you and geo have been saying from the start is the best setup is fsd with eibach. I already picked a suspension because I thought it was cheap and was going to be good and it wasn't. I know the strt will be a lot better than what I have but il always know that it could of been better same goes for the springs really I want eibach but I was considering the h&r to save a few but I'd still know that they could of been better and I don't want to compromise I just want the best possible setup and I must of spent about 50 hours looking into all these setups and no one has a bad word to say about the fsd. For the whole kit of str.t , ebiach and all new mounts,bump stops and spring pads it will be around 550 and for the fsd, eibach, mounts, bump stops and spring pads it's around 850 I have decided that after a good week of research while I'm at work when I get home I've researched this as much as I can and read every post on the web related to my requirements and the help from you guys has been invaluable. I decided if I'm going to do it I'm going to do it properly and go with the koni fsd and the eibach pro kit and all new mounts ect. I would rather have this set up than an extra 300 in my pocket is what it boils down too. Now I've made the decision I want it all now lol but I think it will take a few days to source the parts and have them delivered. My original plan was to have the parts here ready to be fitted on Tuesday (it's a bank holiday here Monday) so post is slower and there is no where to get the parts from local to me so il have to wait another week or 2 before I can fit everything but I'm sure it's well worth the wait

I will 100% let you know how it goes il give you the update as soon as its fitted and after 200km which I think is about 125 miles lol. As from what I'm reading it takes a bit of time to settle and I'm guessing that's why your saying 200km.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #26
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Attaboy!

I think you're going to be very happy with that.

Coilovers are somewhat over-rated because unless you buy really good ones, you're better off with a set-up like you're sourcing.

Good choice mate.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #27
330civert,msport

Also I am not a mechanic but I've been doing more and more diy on my car and in the last year or so I've been collecting all tools needed to do the diy on my car. I paid my local mechanic to fit the c/o for me. But I played around with the back end raising it up and swapping springs which showed me how rubbish the c/o were. So I really want to do the new set up my self and I will take it for the alignment after which i herd you should wait about a week after the new set up is installed for best results ? I'm confident fitting the rear springs and shocks apart from one aspect can the springs go in any way or will the be like oem with the marks on them ? And if they have marks on them what do I line the marks up with ? But the front is something I've not even touched before. I have seen a vid on you tube which is quite good and when I'm ready to do the install i will watch it a lot until I feel like I have already done the job myself and read up on it as much as I can. But I am buying the best kit out there and I don't want to mess it up I want it to be perfect so is there any advice you guys can give me about doing it ? I love the satisfaction of doing a good job on the car so I don't really want to get someone else to do it but if I need to I will for the end result of being a great drive. Can't wait! Any tips would be greatly appreciated ***55357;***56836;
Old 08-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #28
330civert,msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Attaboy!

I think you're going to be very happy with that.

Coilovers are somewhat over-rated because unless you buy really good ones, you're better off with a set-up like you're sourcing.

Good choice mate.
Cheers geo I have no interest in coilovers now and I didn't really have an interest in them when I bought them I only got them as I needed new suspension and they were supposed to be great value for money with a better than stock ride lmao

Can't wait to get the fsd and eibach now I just thought for 300 I'd be annoyed at myself a month or 2 after fitting them If I went with str.t and h&r When I am driving round on the str.t just knowing every second could of felt better haha.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #29
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Make sure to Buy the Koni's Before any sale that's currently going on ends. Here in the states the Koni 25% off sale ends at the end of August, but waiting until it's almost over is a mistake because once the dampers are gone, IT'S ALL OVER.

So if you have a similar Koni sale in the UK, buy them now.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 08-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #30
e46zhp84

I think the koni fsd sound great, I see the eibach Springs going great with this whole setup but how would the fsd go with stock Springs on my zhp 330i? I'll tell you, anything is better than the shocks n struts I'm riding on now haha
e46zhp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #31
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46zhp84 View Post
I think the koni fsd sound great, I see the eibach Springs going great with this whole setup but how would the fsd go with stock Springs on my zhp 330i? I'll tell you, anything is better than the shocks n struts I'm riding on now haha

That would also work perfectly. Don't miss the 25% off sale.

Rob43

Quote:

Last edited by Rob43; 08-30-2015 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #32
e46zhp84

Pizza?! I love pizza... what toppings would you like? Haha
Old 08-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #33
330civert,msport

Quote:
Make sure to Buy the Koni's Before any sale that's currently going on ends. Here in the states the Koni 25% off sale ends at the end of August, but waiting until it's almost over is a mistake because once the dampers are gone, IT'S ALL OVER.

So if you have a similar Koni sale in the UK, buy them now.

Rob43
That would be nice but I've not seen any sales on these but 25% off would be the cherry on top. il do a bit of searching around to see if I can see any sales. the cheapest I've seen is 575 just for the fsd. I'm gutted rob I googled 25% off in UK and it's only showing turner motor sport which has the 25% off and they ship to the UK but the shipping is all but $300 haha. But il have a good search for them as 25% off would be saving about as much as the eibach cost so well worth trying to find them. Thanks again Pete
Old 09-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #34
330civert,msport

Thanks for all your your advice guys I ordered the koni fsd and eibach pro yesterday cheapest I could get was 808 but by all accounts well worth the money. The fsds turned up today but the springs and all other bits should be here by Friday. So the plan is to do the rears Friday evening and tackle the fronts some time next week. And I will keep you guys updated with my thought
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	612708  
Old 09-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #35
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330civert,msport View Post
Thanks for all your your advice guys I ordered the koni fsd and eibach pro yesterday cheapest I could get was 808 but by all accounts well worth the money. The fsds turned up today but the springs and all other bits should be here by Friday. So the plan is to do the rears Friday evening and tackle the fronts some time next week. And I will keep you guys updated with my thought
I wouldn't mix them, do everything at the same time. This way you'll Really understand the difference from old to new.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 09-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #36
330civert,msport

Quote:
I wouldn't mix them, do everything at the same time. This way you'll Really understand the difference from old to new.

Rob43
I wish I could rob but I don't have a whole day free anytime soon. not for at least another month so I was thinking after work I will do the rears then a couple of days later after work do a front then the next day do the other front I know it's not ideal but I would like to do it myself. from when I start to when I finish il probably only do about 10-15 miles is this a bad idea ? Will it do any damage ?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #37
330civert,msport

This is how my car sits now but the ride is bone shaking so I'm thinking the car should sit similar to this but with a comfortable ride and still handle great. Can't wait to get all the bits on. I'm thinking it will but should I get the 4 wheel alignment done after the new set up is all on ? And if so straight after or after 50 miles ? Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	612813  
Old 09-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #38
e46zhp84

What rims are those? Car looks very nice, I want it haha
Old 09-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #39
330civert,msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46zhp84 View Post
What rims are those? Car looks very nice, I want it haha
Haha cheers. They are style 264 genuine Bmw alloys I'm got 25mm spacers on the front I had 15mm on the back but they rubbed a little bit so I took them off and I'm thinking either get the arches rolled or 10mm.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #40
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330civert,msport View Post
I wish I could rob but I don't have a whole day free anytime soon. not for at least another month so I was thinking after work I will do the rears then a couple of days later after work do a front then the next day do the other front I know it's not ideal but I would like to do it myself. from when I start to when I finish il probably only do about 10-15 miles is this a bad idea ? Will it do any damage ?

You won't hurt anything by doing them a few days apart, but I wouldn't race around with your car while on 2 different suspensions.

Please do get an alignment as soon as time & money permits.

Rob43

Quote:

Tags
comfort, convertible, m-sport, suspension