RK tunes - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Cash1333

My Ride: 2004 330ci
RK tunes

I have a 330ci and I was going to go with skark tuning however there is a tuning company called RK and they seem to be making more power. Does anyone know anything about RK?
Cash1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
HakenTT

My Ride: 323i with S54
it is not possible to make more power with tune alone on E46
Old 09-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Rob43

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
it is not possible to make more power with tune alone on E46

Why do you lie as much as you do ?

OP buy a Shark Injector, they're completely proven at making WHP & adding excellent drive-ability. For $350 from forum sponsor Turner Motorsports it's a no brainer.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.

Last edited by Rob43; 09-18-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
HakenTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post

OP buy a Shark Injector, they're completely proven at making WHP & adding excellent drive-ability.
Rob43
Where is the proof? Quit your lie
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Rob43

Quote:
Where is the proof? Quit your lie
There are countless dyno's on this forum showing a Shark makes WHP, if you want it,....Look It Up Yourself.

Please post up Your Personal dyno info that says a Shark Injector doesn't make WHP, LOL I'd love to see that nonsense.

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Cash1333

My Ride: 2004 330ci
My thoughts were that shark is $350 instead of $450 with RK. And I've been recently hearing lots of good news with them. For my car with Shark ill make 4whp and 7tq, but RK says 10-12whp and 10-12tq. So that's why I was wondering if anyone else tried out RK tunes?
Cash1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:40 PM   #7
Rob43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash1333 View Post
My thoughts were that shark is $350 instead of $450 with RK. And I've been recently hearing lots of good news with them. For my car with Shark ill make 4whp and 7tq, but RK says 10-12whp and 10-12tq. So that's why I was wondering if anyone else tried out RK tunes?
Luckily we see & read things way different from each other, so let me save you some $$ & frustration.

Here's the Exact statement from RK-Tunes:

E46 Performance Tune ( Non M3 )

from 450.00
This performance tune is for your E46 (Non M3) .
323, 325, 328, and 330

Expected gains are:

10-12WHP / 10-12WTQ

All 03-05 330 Performance tune's come with a Handheld flash tool.
All others come with our RK-Tunes remote flash cable

year / Model:

Here's how I read that bit of clever/sketchy advertising:

1) The "expected" gains from a 323 to a 330 will all be VASTLY different.

2) The real winner of the bunch will probably be the 328 based on its ecu & tuning ability, which you don't own.

3) They are NO dyno charts for any of the individual chassis listed, just an inaccurate blanket statement of projected whp.

4) Your Bimmer is an 03 to 05 330, this bumps your price point up to $600 dollars.

When you realize all of these things, the Shark Injector at $350 is the way to go. Not to mention that the Shark has some resale* value when you're done with it and want to re-sell it.

Rob43

* I can't wait for someone to challenge this.....

Quote:
Old 10-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
328ijunkie

My Ride: E36,E30
Tunes can/do make power on M54, but as mentioned every car varies dramatically, bone stock car can pick up as much as 10, modded ones pick up more...
r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=327183
328ijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I am not a believer that you can get more power out of an unmodified modern car simply by doing a tune, unless you tweak it for premium fuel instead of regular unleaded (e.g. 93 octane vs 87 octane), and even then, you're only going to get like 3hp.

A tune should happen after you do other meaningful engine mods that somehow impact air flow, such as volume, density, or temperature.

Build thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=696662
Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #10
03_330Ci

My Ride: 03 330ci5 94 840i6mt
i thought all m54's are tuned to run 91 at least thats what the gas cap says?

Last edited by 03_330Ci; 10-06-2015 at 11:39 PM.
03_330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:14 AM   #11
Rob43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
I am not a believer that you can get more power out of an unmodified modern car simply by doing a tune, unless you tweak it for premium fuel instead of regular unleaded (e.g. 93 octane vs 87 octane), and even then, you're only going to get like 3hp.

A tune should happen after you do other meaningful engine mods that somehow impact air flow, such as volume, density, or temperature.

I'll start by saying that you've been around for a long while & I have respect for you & the things you've done to your E46.

Having said that, I have NO idea why you'd say that you Don't believe in "Tunes" for the E46 ??

Am I understanding you correctly on this ???

I personally made 6.5 WHP with my Shark Injector on a Dyno Dynamics dyno which is like saying about ~7.5 WHP on a Dynojet.

Iceman00 made 14 WHP (~17 Crank HP) with a Shark Injector & a Long Tube CAI, here's his dyno:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...1&postcount=25

Rob43
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2015-10-07 at 1.10.44 AM.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	614440  

Quote:
Old 10-07-2015, 01:56 AM   #12
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
Quote:

A friend of mine got measured 22hp (actually PS) at the crank from a pretty easy tune. Engine was bone-stock.
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:19 AM   #13
Rob43

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
A friend of mine got measured 22hp (actually PS) at the crank from a pretty easy tune. Engine was bone-stock.
Which translates into 18 WHP,.....for just the tune.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 10-07-2015, 03:51 AM   #14
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
I donīt know the conversion factor and germans generally donīt care much about wheelbased figures.

I donīt know if these numbers are realistic, but at least i saw the dyno measurements on the exact same dyno.
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:16 AM   #15
328ijunkie

Quote:

Youre forgetting 'relaxing' the emissions ideal sections of the factory tune...

And the factory ECU also has separate maps for octane (though its 91/87)

Last edited by 328ijunkie; 10-07-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #16
HakenTT

Quote:
This is absolutely true. BMW has been facing stiff competition on making the best power, best mileage, best reliability against other manufacturers. BMW will not leave 10hp out for some backyard tuner to figure it out, it is ridiculous. It is easy to manipulate the numbers on a dyno just use less strapping pressure and you get more hp.
Another good argument is that if the engine is not pumping more air it won't make more power. More air has to come into the engine to make more power, you can't do that with M54 just by tuning the MS43
Old 10-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #17
328ijunkie

Quote:
This is absolutely true. BMW has been facing stiff competition on making the best power, best mileage, best reliability against other manufacturers. BMW will not leave 10hp out for some backyard tuner to figure it out, it is ridiculous. It is easy to manipulate the numbers on a dyno just use less strapping pressure and you get more hp.
Another good argument is that if the engine is not pumping more air it won't make more power. More air has to come into the engine to make more power, you can't do that with M54 just by tuning the MS43

HakenTT youve argued this elsewhere which obviously shows your lack of knowledge about any engine management tuning at all what so ever. More/Less Ing Advance changes ALOT, as well as, to coincide to your argument, adding more or less air to the engine by tweaking the vanos which again has points in it to minimize emissions output. Another major contributing factor is catalyst heating and overheating (protection) which will limit power output in varying ways to save the catalysts (which are usually removed for track cars and what not) and lastly Target AFR. Factory setups like to run rich/lean in certain places for a number of reasons which may not be idea for power output.
The M54 has alot more potential than you think to top it off because it is a MASS produced base model engine that was not designed for max power output but MPGs, longevity, and to not compete with the M3

Furthermore Ned, Theres 2 types of people that play with DMEs. 'Hackers' and 'Tuners'. You are a Hacker by every sense of the word, and i respect you for some of the stuff you have done (on your own accord) but you dont fit the word 'tuner' in any form or fashion. Tuners jump into an ECU that theyve usually been given the interface/tables/maps for and use their knowledge to augment things to make more power. Hackers break the ECU code and FIND the tables/maps/flashing methods/etc that the tuners use.

Takes alot of time/skill to do both

Last edited by 328ijunkie; 10-07-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #18
Rob43

hakentt,

I wouldn't let you tune my lawnmower.....

Rob43

Quote:
Old 10-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #19
HakenTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328ijunkie View Post
HakenTT youve argued this elsewhere which obviously shows your lack of knowledge about any engine management tuning at all what so ever. More/Less Ing Advance changes ALOT, as well as, to coincide to your argument, adding more or less air to the engine by tweaking the vanos which again has points in it to minimize emissions output. Another major contributing factor is catalyst heating and overheating (protection) which will limit power output in varying ways to save the catalysts (which are usually removed for track cars and what not) and lastly Target AFR. Factory setups like to run rich/lean in certain places for a number of reasons which may not be idea for power output.
The M54 has alot more potential than you think to top it off because it is a MASS produced base model engine that was not designed for max power output but MPGs, longevity, and to not compete with the M3
Your lack of knowledge on MS43 proves that you don't know that vanos is turned off at max rpm and WOT, so vanos does not come into play when we are talking about peak HP here. Also EPA allows manufacturers to program to ignore emissions when driver wants maximum power, so no emissions restrictions at WOT either. This destroys your argument.

I will back up my statement with this fact:
ZHP makes 240 at the crank, 330i makes 230 at the crank. But ZHP has more aggressive camshafts as well as more sportier BMW factory tune. So this translates to about ~7hp more are the wheels? If 10hp is possible with shark tune when why doesn't bmw save themselves some money and just do it with a tune alone and not have to manufacture totally new spec cams for it?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #20
328ijunkie

Quote:
Your lack of knowledge on MS43 proves that you don't know that vanos is turned off at max rpm and WOT, so vanos does not come into play when we are talking about peak HP here. Also EPA allows manufacturers to program to ignore emissions when driver wants maximum power, so no emissions restrictions at WOT either. This destroys your argument.

I will back up my statement with this fact:
ZHP makes 240 at the crank, 330i makes 230 at the crank. But ZHP has more aggressive camshafts as well as more sportier BMW factory tune. So this translates to about ~7hp more are the wheels? If 10hp is possible with shark tune when why doesn't bmw save themselves some money and just do it with a tune alone and not have to manufacture totally new spec cams for it?

Vanos is turned off in the factory tune how do you know thats optimal? And to your emissions statement youre still ignoring the fact that they have to make the cats last 100k per federal law by if nothing else not melting them.

Again OEs have to tune for every possible circumstance, shitty gas, saving the cats, emissions, etc. Thus they HAVE to leave some left on the table. Youve never even tried 'tuning' a car yourself so how can you rebuke something you havent even experienced? And youve obviously seen my dyno thread, more than half of those tunes were done in front of the customers. Youre going to tell me they wouldnt have noticed me 'changing strap pressure' simply to change hp output? And this shows you also dont know how a dynojet works.
Strap pressure means nothing outside of wheelspin. The Mass that the dyno uses to calculate HP is the mass of the Drum, a constant.
A quick read for you: http://www.maximumperformance.biz/dyno_detailed.htm

Tags
330ci, m54, rk, tuning