E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Tried Battery DIY: clamp doesn't fit?

Well it took me over 100 minutes and a hell of a lot of sweat, but I was able to remove the old one, slide my new one in and get power to my car! And that's all good news, and boy was I relieved that was all over. Then the bad news. I was putting the clamp on but it wouldn't fit. I don't understand why. I lowered the plate as far as it'd go and it seems as if the battery is too tall, but I don't understand why. I bought a "EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size H8," which has reviews saying that other E46 owners got this battery for their car. The fit is perfect too. Well, apparently not. Any ideas? I'm not returning the battery. I refuse to believe that this battery worked for others but not me!!

I attached a picture, looking for anything. Is my only solution one hell of a screw?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery clamp.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	615408  

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 10-17-2015 at 12:51 PM.
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Well it took me over 100 minutes and a hell of a lot of sweat, but I was able to remove the old one, slide my new one in and get power to my car! And that's all good news, and boy was I relieved that was all over. Then the bad news. I was putting the clamp on but it wouldn't fit. I don't understand why. I lowered the plate as far as it'd go and it seems as if the battery is too tall, but I don't understand why. I bought a "EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size H8," which has reviews saying that other E46 owners got this battery for their car. The fit is perfect too. Well, apparently not. Any ideas? I'm not returning the battery. I refuse to believe that this battery worked for others but not me!!

I attached a picture, looking for anything. Is my only solution one hell of a screw?
If you're using an H8, did you remove the plastic indexing tab on the tray?

I assure you an H8 fits fine unless it's a convertible.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
If you're using an H8, did you remove the plastic indexing tab on the tray?

I assure you an H8 fits fine unless it's a convertible.
Yeah I tried once and thought maybe I needed to remove it. I took it out, removed that plastic bit, and placed the battery back in and you see the result. Am I doing something wrong? There's nothing else to remove underneath. It's a coupe, so I'm stumped
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Put a piece of wood between the battery and the adjustment screw.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Put a piece of wood between the battery and the adjustment screw.
You can do that if the battery is too small but not if it's too large

franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
When I installed an H8 I only had to back the screw way off versus the previous position and it fit.

Have you tried simply removing that round metal plate/clamp?

You could put a metal spacer in the bolt gap and get a longer bolt.

This is an easy problem to solve with a little ingenuity.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 10-18-2015 at 09:56 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, clam, diy, help a noob