E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Drove an E46 M3 SMG. BMW sold this?

This weekend I went car shopping with my friend. At one of the lots they had an SMG E46, and I couldn't help but beg to drive it. I felt so lucky to be behind the wheel of a car that so many say is the best drivers car ever made. The salesmen gave me a little introduction on the SMG, and then set me and my friend off.
I pulled off the line and got constant jerking. It was incredibly frustrating. My foot was steady, I was at around 2,200rpm so the gear was fully engages, and it'd jerk! I could pull off in first and get the jerking. It was horrible.
I think the biggest problem is that I couldn't know when the automatic would engage the gear, so you couldn't predict when you needed the revs to be where. This was most noticeable when I was at the limit. Pulling off was incredibly so. In my 328Ci, the torque converter revs the engine up to ~2000rpm at launch to get me taking off. On the SMG, gunning it gave me a really slow crawl until about 1800rpm, and then it would start taking off. But as the revs rolled from 2,200rpm to redline, I was too disappointed in the launch to enjoy the experience. Then on upshifts, you had to let off the throttle, and then hold the revs where you thought the next gear is. Downshifts were much more fun, but I didn't do them while braking since it's not my car. I was also shocked that this car didn't feel much faster than my 328Ci. Someones going to want to hit me for saying that, but I didn't feel any more thrilled with the acceleration in this car, and I hit 80mph

My biggest thought is why would you prefer this over a manual? Everything that made this car unenjoyable could be fixed by engaging and disengaging the clutch yourself. I just don't get it. I'm sure it's, well not great, but better if you own the car, but I can't understand the attraction of it with that amount of involvement, and that's coming from an automatic transmission driver. I can't imagine be propelled to buy this car in a test drive. I feel like you'd have to live with it for a week or so to know if you can live with it. I'm sure there's some gizmo in it that makes it work better than it did for me, but I didn't know it. That and I liked staying in manual.

I'm sure there are other threads with similar thoughts. I didn't look for them. And for those who own the SMG, then it works for you. I just wanted to share my experience on the test drive, for a car that used to be my dream car. That and it didn't feel "fast" to me :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0524.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	616593  

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 10-29-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: made language more passive
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Brozee

My Ride: 03 325ci
You'd prefer one over a manual if you're a ladyboy.
Brozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
I think you have to get the hang of it somehow, i.e. there is some muscle memory/hand-foot coordination trick to it. It works for those who get the angle of the dangle. I'd rather a manual. Now the new doppelkupplungsgetriebes I would definitely rather have over a traditional manual.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
...Now the new doppelkupplungsgetriebes I would definitely rather have over a traditional manual.
Is that what's in the F30 328i automatic?

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 10-29-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
Hobohunter

My Ride: 2001 M3
I had one in SMG for 3 years. Shifting in manual mode took almost no time to get used to, and I just never used Auto. I never had any complaints about the SMG system, nor any issues with it mechanically.
It sounds to me like the one you got to drive was experiencing some sort of technical difficulty. Especially since you didn't feel it was much faster than your 328. This was the first one you got to drive right? I would recommend trying another one if you get the chance, if just to restore that dream car feel to it.
As to reasons to get an SMG over a manual, I chose SMG the first time because I didn't have much experience in driving stick, I have since overcome that disability.. Also, you can change the shift time on the SMG to "really quick". I don't know how you had it set up when you drove it, but I normally drove in S4 or S5, sometimes S6.
Hobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobohunter View Post
I had one in SMG for 3 years. Shifting in manual mode took almost no time to get used to, and I just never used Auto. I never had any complaints about the SMG system, nor any issues with it mechanically.
It sounds to me like the one you got to drive was experiencing some sort of technical difficulty. Especially since you didn't feel it was much faster than your 328. This was the first one you got to drive right? I would recommend trying another one if you get the chance, if just to restore that dream car feel to it.
As to reasons to get an SMG over a manual, I chose SMG the first time because I didn't have much experience in driving stick, I have since overcome that disability.. Also, you can change the shift time on the SMG to "really quick". I don't know how you had it set up when you drove it, but I normally drove in S4 or S5, sometimes S6.
Wow, thanks for sharing your experience. This was my first M3 but yeah the M3 should be about 30% faster (to 60), so I was shocked I didn't "feel" it. I had a passenger but I knew it should'nt slow down the car THAT much. She weights about 110lbs :0. I'm not sure what settings mine was in. He showed me him adjusting it but I was a bit overwhelmed the wheel, so I decided I wouldn't mess with it, especially since I was unfamiliar with it. I can relate with your stick issue. I've never had the opportunity to drive stick, so this was an interesting "introduction" into the amount of involvement a manual can offer. I want one more than ever now. I'm not sure when I'll have my next shot with an M3, I'm still a teenager so most see me as a liability. Hopefully someday I can drive one with an owner in the passenger sheet walking me through it, and it can be a more pleasant experience.

How would you launch an SMG?

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 10-29-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
Hobohunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing your experience. This was my first M3 but yeah the M3 should be about 30% faster (to 60), so I was shocked I didn't "feel" it. I had a passenger but I knew it should'nt slow down the car THAT much. She weights about 110lbs :0. I'm not sure what settings mine was in. He showed me him adjusting it but I was a bit overwhelmed the wheel, so I decided I wouldn't mess with it, especially since I was unfamiliar with it. I can relate with your stick issue. I've never had the opportunity to drive stick, so this was an interesting "introduction" into the amount of involvement a manual can offer. I want one more than ever now. I'm not sure when I'll have my next shot with an M3, I'm still a teenager so most see me as a liability. Hopefully someday I can drive one with an owner in the passenger sheet walking me through it, and it can be a more pleasant experience.

How would you launch an SMG?
It's been about 3 years since I had my SMG, but if I remember right you need to hold the DSC button for about 5 seconds to turn it off, select S6 on the button just in front of the shift knob (I'm a bit hazy but I think that option shows up once DSC is off) push and hold the shift knob forward and hold the gas pedal down. This gets the engine revved to 1800 rpms and once you let the shift knob go it'll engage the clutch and off you go.
If you remember at all, there was a small bargraph shaped indicator under the shift pattern on the dash, the fewer bars it shows means the shifting will be slower, the more bars the faster it'll shift, but it'll also be more of a shock to the drivetrain. You adjust the speed with the corresponding bargraph shaped button just in front of the gear shift knob.

There must have been something, or several somethings wrong with the one you drove. My current one is a convertible, so weighs about 300 lbs more than a coupe, plus I had an additional 400 lbs of dude in mine and it was still very noticeably faster than my old 325 or even the 06 330 I used to own.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
YoitsTmac

Quote:
It's been about 3 years since I had my SMG, but if I remember right you need to hold the DSC button for about 5 seconds to turn it off, select S6 on the button just in front of the shift knob (I'm a bit hazy but I think that option shows up once DSC is off) push and hold the shift knob forward and hold the gas pedal down. This gets the engine revved to 1800 rpms and once you let the shift knob go it'll engage the clutch and off you go.
If you remember at all, there was a small bargraph shaped indicator under the shift pattern on the dash, the fewer bars it shows means the shifting will be slower, the more bars the faster it'll shift, but it'll also be more of a shock to the drivetrain. You adjust the speed with the corresponding bargraph shaped button just in front of the gear shift knob.

There must have been something, or several somethings wrong with the one you drove. My current one is a convertible, so weighs about 300 lbs more than a coupe, plus I had an additional 400 lbs of dude in mine and it was still very noticeably faster than my old 325 or even the 06 330 I used to own.
Oh okay. Well I wouldn't have been comfortable turning off DSC on a test drive, only because I couldn't afford the car. That makes sense though, I'm bummed that you can't just mash the gas given it's an automatic. Maybe it would have lived to it's 5 second 0-60 if it launched hard, but perhaps there was something wrong. There was a faint smell of coolant after being hard on the gas all the way into third gear. I drove a convertible too for what it's worth. There was about 360lbs with my friend and I, but yeah doesn't justify the speed I felt, which was closely comparable to my 328i.
Ahhh, someday someone will let me drive there E46 M3. I'm bummed because my ex-girlfriend's father owned one and he would have let me drive it, but we had to break up prior to such a privilege. Another chance will cross my road if it's meant to be!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
theOCHO

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Is that what's in the F30 328i automatic?
I can't remember the last time I owned an automatic... and I hate to say it... but the auto box in the F30 is amazing. And I think it's just a normal torque-converter 8 speed.

No leather/no cold weather package/no sports package
theOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:33 PM   #10
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
The ZF 8-Speed in the F30 is a beauty, and its used in a lot of other cars because its so good.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #11
Hobohunter

Quote:
Oh okay. Well I wouldn't have been comfortable turning off DSC on a test drive, only because I couldn't afford the car. That makes sense though, I'm bummed that you can't just mash the gas given it's an automatic. Maybe it would have lived to it's 5 second 0-60 if it launched hard, but perhaps there was something wrong. There was a faint smell of coolant after being hard on the gas all the way into third gear. I drove a convertible too for what it's worth. There was about 360lbs with my friend and I, but yeah doesn't justify the speed I felt, which was closely comparable to my 328i.
Ahhh, someday someone will let me drive there E46 M3. I'm bummed because my ex-girlfriend's father owned one and he would have let me drive it, but we had to break up prior to such a privilege. Another chance will cross my road if it's meant to be!
I forgot that.. my bad. How much were they asking for that M3? I would be willing to bet that it found its way to that car lot because the previous owner found some problems (poor acceleration, coolant smells, something worse) and either didn't have the money to fix it, or just wanted to dump it for something cheaper. Some people see the repair bill estimate at a dealer for thousands of dollars (not the best place to go for this stuff) and throw in the towel, rather than source the parts themselves for a few hundred and spend a weekend or two doing the work.

If you are still considering an E46 M3, not necessarily that one, you should read up on the common failure modes of the car, maintenance costs, maintenance DIYs, that way you can recognize when the car isn't driving just right, or some parts are missing/replaced with aftermarket stuff. Then you can avoid one that's too far gone to be worth fixing, or know when one really only needs a few simple things to replace and you can talk down the price or get the dealer to do it before you pick it up.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
YoitsTmac

Quote:
I forgot that.. my bad. How much were they asking for that M3? I would be willing to bet that it found its way to that car lot because the previous owner found some problems (poor acceleration, coolant smells, something worse) and either didn't have the money to fix it, or just wanted to dump it for something cheaper. Some people see the repair bill estimate at a dealer for thousands of dollars (not the best place to go for this stuff) and throw in the towel, rather than source the parts themselves for a few hundred and spend a weekend or two doing the work.
It's still for sale at $15,988 for the 2003 M3 with 77k miles. And you could be right. The time since I drove it has grown too large for me to confidently say anything else that sounded like a problem. My friend did agree that there was a smell of coolant (her car does it too under power, which is why we were shopping).
As for purchasing, I only drove it after asking the dealer while explicitly saying I wouldn't buy it. I'm not looking into an M3 for four easy reasons.
1)my current and only experience with one wasn't much more exciting than my 328Ci
2) I love love love my 328Ci. And frankly I still got mechanical things that need to be taken care of
3) It's not in the budget because I am a broke college student
4) I don't like the way it looks :0. It's just not my style, so for me to want one, I'd have to have one hell of a second M3 experience
Old 10-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #13
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
This weekend I went car shopping with my friend. At one of the lots they had an SMG E46, and I couldn't help but beg to drive it. I felt so lucky to be behind the wheel of a car that so many say is the best drivers car ever made.
They're lying.

Drive a modern Porsche 997 or Cayman.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Anyone see the Smoking Tire video on E46 M3 vs. Ford Focus ST? Can't remember whether the Focus blew the doors off the M3 or not but the point is the E46 M3 has been superceded, in fact by many cheaper cars it seems. No longer the vaunted one it used to be.

Of course whoever posted about the Porsche is correct. Porsche is a superior car in every conceivable aspect- looks, build quality, performance, reputation.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #15
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Anyone see the Smoking Tire video on E46 M3 vs. Ford Focus ST? Can't remember whether the Focus blew the doors off the M3 or not but the point is the E46 M3 has been superceded, in fact by many cheaper cars it seems. No longer the vaunted one it used to be.

Of course whoever posted about the Porsche is correct. Porsche is a superior car in every conceivable aspect- looks, build quality, performance, reputation.
Little bit late but better than never replying! I have a Porsche dealer around the area. Should I ask to drive one? I don't care about build quality or reputation. I also prefer the looks of a BMW over a car that has looked generally the same for decades. But is it really more involving than a E46 M3? More connected?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:43 PM   #16
YoitsTmac

Quote:

I don't care about reputation. I've liked BMW since I was 3, so the design and build quality is less important than a badge, not to mention the 911 has looked the same for so long. But is it really a better driving experience than the E46 M3?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:57 PM   #17
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
YoItsTmac-

we'll just call you Mark Webber from now on.

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #18
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
YoItsTmac-

we'll just call you Mark Webber from now on.
I love it, my signature now
Old 03-19-2016, 04:50 AM   #19
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well there you have it..
2000 328Ci automatic is better than an M3...
Ford Focus better than an M3...
and a modern Porsche are better than everything.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #20
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
well there you have it..
2000 328Ci automatic is better than an M3...
Ford Focus better than an M3...
and a modern Porsche are better than everything.
Sorry didn't mean it that way. In the same respect, everyone is entitled their opinions and that's why there's more than one type of car on the road

Tags
m3, smg, test drive