E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #81
E46XITurboJoe

My Ride: 2001 330XIT Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgunter View Post
Do the A/C lines that run on the passenger side still fit with the manifold and DP? I really want a turbo but I don't want to have to delete my A/C which is one of the reasons why I've been thinking of going with a supercharger.
you need to make some custom ones and remount the A/C dryer, but it will fit with some time and effort, which is the route I am going for, I just do not think the car needs an bottom end torque, that being said feel free to gear up your S/C so there is some lag to move the power around on the band.
E46XITurboJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #82
mgunter

My Ride: E46 Touring & E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46XITurboJoe View Post
you need to make some custom ones and remount the A/C dryer, but it will fit with some time and effort, which is the route I am going for, I just do not think the car needs an bottom end torque, that being said feel free to gear up your S/C so there is some lag to move the power around on the band.
The reason I am thinking supercharger is because it will just be easier overall. I am up for the challenge of a turbo build, would much rather a turbo than a supercharger, and feel capable EXCEPT for when it comes to the A/C system and making new lines. That just sounds like a real PITA to me and I hate not having A/C.

Is the A/C dryer not tucked under the passenger headlight? I am not at home right now to go look but from what I can find online, it looks like it would be out of the way of the turbo.
mgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #83
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
Quote:
The reason I am thinking supercharger is because it will just be easier overall. I am up for the challenge of a turbo build, would much rather a turbo than a supercharger, and feel capable EXCEPT for when it comes to the A/C system and making new lines. That just sounds like a real PITA to me and I hate not having A/C.

Is the A/C dryer not tucked under the passenger headlight? I am not at home right now to go look but from what I can find online, it looks like it would be out of the way of the turbo.
Why donīt you use a small turbo and do a bottom mount instead of the top mount? I donīt think one needs a GT35+ charger to make M54 fast.

Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #84
mgunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
Why donīt you use a small turbo and do a bottom mount instead of the top mount? I donīt think one needs a GT35+ charger to make M54 fast.
I have been talking to Hobbit and for my goals I will definitely be going with a smaller turbo.

I have thought about bottom mount but I just really love the idea of having a top mount and the CX racing kit makes it simpler. I don't expect everything to fit properly right out of the box but it gives me a great starting point. If I was doing complete custom fabrication I would have gone with bottom mount because I feel like it would be easier. Does the aluminum underbody shield need to be removed for a bottom mount? All bottom mounts I've seen have had them removed which concerns me (although I could get on the alignment rack easier without it ).

Also, Daniel....I just looked over your MS43 wiki and I wanted to say thank you again! It is absolutely incredible and I am excited about where things are going based on your headings!
Old 03-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #85
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
When sizing a turbo, you really want to be talking with someone who has access to compressor maps. It makes a huge different in performance, lag, efficiency, etc. Just making general assumptions is a hit and miss proposition.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #86
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
When sizing a turbo, you really want to be talking with someone who has access to compressor maps. It makes a huge different in performance, lag, efficiency, etc. Just making general assumptions is a hit and miss proposition.
I am glad someone came along with this input, to many times people just wait to see what turbo everyone is is strapping on and it is true every setup is a little different but those maps really tell the story. I am sticking with the Gt35 to try to move the boost higher up in the RPM band until I can see how the AWD system handles the boost / added torque, I am skeptical a bit. but I also like unique cars so here we are.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #87
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:

my A/C dryer is behind the headlight (same difference) I figure you have 4 options, drop the whole system, make custom lines, get an electric setup, or go supercharger :p if you make custom lines you can move it where I did or down further into the bumper. either should work. I just thought my spot was cleaner when i tabbed it. as far as I have read any top mount turbo kit can be turned into a bottom mount turbo kit by simple flipping it and rewelding the flange, btw. also I left all the OEM heat shielding in place
Old 03-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #88
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
I am glad you made it to my page! thanks for your help so far!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #89
E46XITurboJoe

finally an update. sorry again.

took a break from welding to plastic-dip the car.

pretty amazing how far away it can look like matt grey / black but up close you can really see the flake in the plastic-dip

overall super happy!

technically the front bumper is not painted cause my spray booth was to small but the over spray blended nicely thumbs up for Antherciate grey from Plastidip

I also installed the PMAS MAF sensor as well.

decided to move my oil return to the front of the motor since i have to replace a few bearing in the belt system on the front, so soon I will be pulling the front of the motor off to replace all that

Last edited by E46XITurboJoe; 03-08-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #90
mgunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
I really appreciate this input. I know a lot goes into choosing a proper turbo. I have done a ton of reading and some plannig based on others builds but still have a lot to figure out before I jump into it which is why I'm asking questions.

Deciding on a turbo is one thing I had no idea how to do. I've had different Turbo's recommended to me but I don't think any of those people were basing it on any real data

Any recommendations on who to talk to? Do you have compressor maps?

Also, Joe, did you just get the regular PMAS HPX Maf? Or did you get one od the other models?

Last edited by mgunter; 03-09-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #91
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
I really appreciate this input. I know a lot goes into choosing a proper turbo. I have done a ton of reading and some plannig based on others builds but still have a lot to figure out before I jump into it which is why I'm asking questions.

Deciding on a turbo is one thing I had no idea how to do. I've had different Turbo's recommended to me but I don't think any of those people were basing it on any real data

Any recommendations on who to talk to? Do you have compressor maps?

Also, Joe, did you just get the regular PMAS HPX Maf? Or did you get one od the other models?
I do not have access to maps. I have friends who do (one of whom is an engineer for Garrett).

Here is a good place to get started learning about sizing turbos:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...p-Details.aspx

Do a search within MotoIQ and you'll find more info about sizing, including a quick and dirty chart if you have nothing else to go by. Best bet however is to find someone who does have access to turbo maps to discuss it with. Then you have to decide whether or not they know what they are doing with that data.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #92
jookid

My Ride: 325it
Im trying to finish my build also 325it turbo just stuck on ecu need map for flashing any help would be appreciated
jookid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #93
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jookid View Post
Im trying to finish my build also 325it turbo just stuck on ecu need map for flashing any help would be appreciated
hey I am having a member on here get me a base map so i can start tuning, i am just waiting on that and I will be starting my car soon I hope

do you have a link to your build thread?

to everyone else I am sorry this thread has stalled
Old 04-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #94
jookid

My Ride: 325it
No i dont newbie lol
jookid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #95
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jookid View Post
No i dont newbie lol
get a build thread going, I have recieved so much support when I was discouraged and help and advice in general, people love the XIT builds it seems!

I really want mine done!!
Old 04-17-2016, 12:38 AM   #96
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
I agree, build threads can be fun to read.
Mines nothing super special but I enjoy sharing what I've accomplished and learned,
plus sometimes they help others know what is possible.

E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting DIY
Wiring Rear Fogs and Rear Camera in a Touring

Last edited by Onizukachan; 04-17-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:22 AM   #97
CabrioPassion

My Ride: 330Ci Cabrio M.T. II
Hope to see a video soon. Congratulations Bro
CabrioPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #98
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabrioPassion View Post
Hope to see a video soon. Congratulations Bro
if that was directed my way thanks! I have two trips planned and then when I get back I am planning on finished everything so when the tune shows up I can turn it on straight away!
Old 04-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #99
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
I agree, build threads can be fun to read.
Mines nothing super special but I enjoy sharing what I've accomplished and learned,
plus sometimes they help others know what is possible.
ya I agree! I always try to add the small details that hung me up so if people read this they know!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #100
CabrioPassion

My Ride: 330Ci Cabrio M.T. II
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46XITurboJoe View Post
if that was directed my way thanks! I have two trips planned and then when I get back I am planning on finished everything so when the tune shows up I can turn it on straight away!
When Italy's trip?
CabrioPassion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325xi, diy, turbo, wagon, write up