E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
SnapHappy

My Ride: M3
Driving Range W/ Full Battery

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I think my alternator in my 2005 M3 coupe is done for and I need to drive to an independent shop to get it checkout and replace the alternator.

I have a fully charged battery and would like to know what is the reasonable range for the M3 driving with a fully charged battery? Can I make it to the shop which is 12 miles away?

I did the battery check and the voltage never went higher than 12.4V with the engine running and slowly dropping voltage. The battery is BMW OEM (Exide) and Autozone said the battery is good so the possible fault remaining is in the alternator.

Thanks.
SnapHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #2
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci MT '04 M3
I would suggest its more a matter of how long it will take you to get there. With the lights and radio off my car draws about 10A. With the engine running I'd expect a bit more for the fuel pump. Go figure.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
Apexeon

My Ride: drthrt
When my alternator died, I was able to drive about half a mile.
Apexeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Syfon

My Ride: 2004 6MT M3
I drove my old E36 328i over 100km with a dead alternator and fully charged battery. Plus I had the stereo cranked the whole time with 2 12" subs and an amp.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
SnapHappy

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexeon View Post
When my alternator died, I was able to drive about half a mile.
I was able to drive for about 10 miles and called a tow for the rest of they way. The short tow didn't cost anything with AAA membership.
SnapHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Just DIY the alternator, it is literally 6 bolts you need to loosen its held in with 2.

Here's how to do it...

1. Remove airbox

-remove 4 pins holding air duct into airbox
-loosen band clamp closest to airbox
-unlatch 2 metal tabs holding lid to airbox
-remove airbox lid, remove plastic cover on module next to airbox (remove 2 connectors then pull up on plastic cover)
-remove 2 bolts holding module in place and the bolts holding lower airbox in place
-remove lower airbox

2. Remove fan shroud on right side
-remove upper clip and clip on right side behind upper radiator hose
-pull fan shroud up and to the side and maneuver out of way (hose goes through it so cannot be removed)

3. Remove belt

-loosen belt tensioner (t50/5, or 8mm hex most will be the hex)
-while loosening tensioner (turn wrench to right) slide belt off to the side and remove from alternator as well.

4. Remove alternator

-remove bolt for idler pulley up top
-loosen bolt on bottom of alternator (same side as idler pulley) and swing alternator outward to loosen
-remove bolt
-loosen alternator more by rocking it
-remove connector from back of alternator, push spring clip and pull outward
-remove positive terminal from back of alternator (open end wrench or a socket with a swivel head ratchet from the back behind oil cooler lines that are around alternator.
-rock alternator until it comes out. Leaning it back towards you will work easiest.

5. Install alternator following steps in reverse.

And that's how you do it in 30 min and do t have to remove oil cooler lines making it a mess/pita

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, battery, driving range