E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
BMW3732

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
2004 330i SMG question

So I replaced my clutch slave cylinder with my local shop who specialize in BMW mainly and other foreign autos. And everything has worked absolutely great, but today I noticed partial slippage in my first gear , and it feels as it is shifting hard. Now I know my hydraulic fluid resevoir has sepage , so I'm wandering if low hydraulic fluid can be the cause , or could by my clutch and possible plates ? Still have all gears downshifting is great only first gear is slipping at low rpm I'm refusing to drive unless to the shop . Any help would be great thanks
BMW3732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #2
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Could be the low fluid, how much is seeping out?

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,Custom Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
BMW3732

Very little like the resevoir is compromised I'm going to do a soft reset as I have heard that may work out any little kinks . But it has been awhile sense I checked fluid level I'm just saving funds to replace the resevoir (dealership wants 113$ for part and the bleed on hydraulic system is 3 hour I think) .
Old 12-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci MT '04 M3
I had all new parts fitted on my on both my cars at the factory (which only does BMW). Some have given problems too.

Low fluid usually hinders dis-engagement of the clutch. Also a slipping clutch is more noticeable at higher RPM (More engine torque) in higher gears (4, 5, 6).

More likely your issues are in the lack of fluid to the hydraulic actuators or air in the system. 3 Hour bleed is excessive. Do it yourself.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #5
BMW3732

awesome man thankyou , I'll post if soft reset does the trick and repost after I check the actuator . Thanks again
Old 02-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
turnerg1

My Ride: 2004 330 CI, 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3732 View Post
So I replaced my clutch slave cylinder with my local shop who specialize in BMW mainly and other foreign autos. And everything has worked absolutely great, but today I noticed partial slippage in my first gear , and it feels as it is shifting hard. Now I know my hydraulic fluid resevoir has sepage , so I'm wandering if low hydraulic fluid can be the cause , or could by my clutch and possible plates ? Still have all gears downshifting is great only first gear is slipping at low rpm I'm refusing to drive unless to the shop . Any help would be great thanks
What made you decide you needed to replace the slave cylinder?
My 2004 330ci has been giving me fits lately dropping out of gear. To the point where I have to tow it home. Once home everything is fine for a day or 2.
Im about to crawl under the car to check the tank fluid level. Ive replaced the relay already.
The pump was replaced 2 years ago. New battery at same time.

Greg
turnerg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
BMW3732

I replaced my slave because it was completely destroyed like past point of putting new seals on and disassembling it . But when that happened my car would not even go into gear , dropping completely out of gear sounds like same problem . The seals in the slave can go bad is there hydraulic fluid leaking ?
When my cars slave went I was stopped at a light , got the yellow smg cog and car went into neutral would not let me shift out of it. I restarted it 3-4 times then I drove 200 yards at a time because same thing would keep happening till I got to a friends place.

Last edited by BMW3732; 02-12-2016 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
turnerg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3732 View Post
I replaced my slave because it was completely destroyed like past point of putting new seals on and disassembling it . But when that happened my car would not even go into gear , dropping completely out of gear sounds like same problem . The seals in the slave can go bad is there hydraulic fluid leaking ?
When my cars slave went I was stopped at a light , got the yellow smg cog and car went into neutral would not let me shift out of it. I restarted it 3-4 times then I drove 200 yards at a time because same thing would keep happening till I got to a friends place.
The car is currently in a shop because I don't want the hassle of climbing under it trying to wiggle around pulling the slave.
The tank was pretty much empty from what they told me. I did find some small amounts of fluid on the bottom of the bell housing so Im pretty sure the seal was leaking.
They did call me yesterday to tell me the inside of the slave was pitted. I haven't seen it but im hoping just replacing the seals will suffice.

Do you have pics of your "completely destroyed" slave. I wonder how close mine would be to resemble yours.
I just don't think I can afford 1200 bucks to replace the entire slave at this point.
Up until now and even in between days when it would drop out of gear it operated rock solid.

Greg
Old 02-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #9
turnerg1

Ok the shop had to order the oring kit and it took about 5 days to come in.
They did the rebuild and called me today that it was ready.
I was about to go out there when they called me and said something was up and they would let me know.
So I called them. First off the rebuild went well. refilled the system ran all the software, bleed, recalibrations, etc. Test drive went super well. Car shifted great. This is all them talking.
Today they went to move the car....Nothing. No shift. Nothing. so they put it back on the computer and the pump puts out maybe 48bar.
Codes say to replace pump. Doesn't make sense after a perfect retest just prior.
It primes when you open the door etc. but doesn't build pressure.
They pulled the slave back off to check the cylinder. bone dry no leakage. works great.
I was told tank is full.
So they were going to put it all back together again and see if they could rerun all the software.
Im wondering if there is still air in the system that needs to bleed out.

Any suggestions here to look for since this was just tested and run the day before perfectly.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 03-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
domibln

My Ride: E46 325Ci SMG
There is no o-Ring kit for clutch actuator. They probably purchased the clutch slave cylinder repair kit, which is the worst idea ever. Using this seal can destroy your entire smg hydraulic unit, because it does not fit from dimensions and rubber material.
I offer overhaul for the clutch actuator, just search this forum for it.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
turnerg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by domibln View Post
There is no o-Ring kit for clutch actuator. They probably purchased the clutch slave cylinder repair kit, which is the worst idea ever. Using this seal can destroy your entire smg hydraulic unit, because it does not fit from dimensions and rubber material.
I offer overhaul for the clutch actuator, just search this forum for it.
Do you have the oring that goes into the actuator. Turns out the shop agrees with you that its not the right item however they want to replace the entire actuator, even though they've tested everything else works perfect.
If you can PM me the oring specs, or part number, or if you have one I can buy. PM me your paypal or other method of payment if you do have one.

Thanks,

Greg

Tags
gear slippage, smg