FK Coilover Ticking/minor knocking noise - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
CREAO

My Ride: 2001 325i
FK Coilover Ticking/minor knocking noise

Hello all, I have a slightttt problem.

I've done tons of reading but still couldn't find anything.

So, I installed FK Coilovers (Just the fronts) (non adjustable dampening, and not aligned yet), and experienced this weird ticking noise. It's not heavy enough to be considered a "clunk". But it's an annoying slightly heavy ticking noise that is constant. The only problem I know I have is that I know I need wheel spacers so until I receive those the car is basically a paper weight (Extreme tire rubbing, so it's a constant (EERRRHHHH). But, when I drove the car to see if everything were to hold, (under 25mph) I noticed this ticking and it was not there when I had OEM sport. .

I checked the End links (FK provided shortened endlinks to makeup the shorter distance, however I had to really manipulate the front sway bar to get it to connect the distance). The end links are tight (To what my hands can do) and will recheck them today.
I just did the rears yesterday (fronts 2 days ago) so I will report back on those.

Note : I did not experience any vibration.

Last edited by CREAO; 01-11-2016 at 07:27 AM.
CREAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
austine46

My Ride: m54b25
Something obvs isn't right. shouldn't be clicking, you need to go back and re check the diy on this. can you post pics of the setup? is it both sides or just one?

everyone's a critic
FS: coupe facelift xenons, stock headers no cats, stock sport suspension for coupe, oil separator, non m coupe lip
austine46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #3
CREAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by austine46 View Post
Something obvs isn't right. shouldn't be clicking, you need to go back and re check the diy on this. can you post pics of the setup? is it both sides or just one?
I did the DIY, followed through. Bolts are right so I couldn't imagine what could be clicking. I was told to check the upper strut mounts (re tighten when taking the car off the stands) as they tend to come lose. I check and had to tighten a lot so hopefully that might solve the issue but I'm not sure.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
is the clicking speed dependent?

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
CREAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
is the clicking speed dependent?
Not exactly sure but it was bad at 25 mph. Seemed speed dependent but not entirely sure.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well there's not a whole lot of choices. most common are the end link nuts. next is the gland nut (or strut mount nut).
But these are more "clunk" in sound.

yours sounds more to do with the wheel/tire. it's either rubbing against the strut or it's coil spring when drivers weight in car. it could also be something bent while installing. like the brake dust shield against rotor (or similar). you're going to have to inspect/raise and see if you notice new scrapes.

btw how much lower did you go, slam it?
Old 01-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
CREAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
well there's not a whole lot of choices. most common are the end link nuts. next is the gland nut (or strut mount nut).
But these are more "clunk" in sound.

yours sounds more to do with the wheel/tire. it's either rubbing against the strut or it's coil spring when drivers weight in car. it could also be something bent while installing. like the brake dust shield against rotor (or similar). you're going to have to inspect/raise and see if you notice new scrapes.

btw how much lower did you go, slam it?
I'll check that dust sheild around the rotor. I know I need wheel spacers but couldn't imagine the wheel would "click" against the coil. I just ordered ECS tuning spacers, so I will let you know what happens from here

P.s. I did not slam it. Just enough to cover the gap

Last edited by CREAO; 01-12-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
Geo31
Ironman

It's not possible for the wheels to touch the coils.

I bet the clicking goes away with the spacers, but if not, it could be the brake shields.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
nickrosse46

Check the end links
nickrosse46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
Rogue Pyro

My Ride: 2003 325i
Did you load the suspension when you installed the sway bars? The first time I installed my koni's I didn't load it up and my front sway bar (aftermarket) was practically touching the lower control arm. It created this annoying buzz sound and clunked over bumps. This might be your problem because you mentioned you had a difficult time with the sways.

Last edited by Rogue Pyro; 01-11-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Rogue Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #11
illuminated

My Ride: '99 S2 M3 | 5MT
I would check the endlinks (both at the strut and at the sway bar)

Also if the car is really dragging on the tires as it sounds, you need to adjust the struts.

install / adjust the rears as well and you should be in pretty good shape

F3RN

Need anything 3D printed? I'm your guy. Send me a pm

Last edited by illuminated; 01-11-2016 at 10:13 PM.
illuminated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
CREAO

Quote:
It's not possible for the wheels to touch the coils.

I bet the clicking goes away with the spacers, but if not, it could be the brake shields.
Good point, I did hit the shields a little.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #13
CREAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Pyro View Post
Did you load the suspension when you installed the sway bars? The first time I installed my koni's I didn't load it up and my front sway bar (aftermarket) was practically touching the lower control arm. It created this annoying buzz sound and clunked over bumps. This might be your problem because you mentioned you had a difficult time with the sways.
Explain "load suspension"?

I have OEM swaybar and when I went to connect the end links I had to use a jack on the swaybar to bend it up high enough to connect the end links.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
CREAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminated View Post
I would check the endlinks (both at the strut and at the sway bar)

Also if the car is really dragging on the tires as it sounds, you need to adjust the struts.

install / adjust the rears as well and you should be in pretty good shape
I will again once my spacers arrive (tomorrow). The struts are in as they are supposed to be. There's a little notch that allows the installer to note where it slides into, however the notch is half an inch by half an inch with a hole in the center, which is weird. The hole is not big enough to allow the punch bolt to go through, but the struts are seated properly. Just adjusted the rears yesterday. When I get these spacers on we will be able to determine any further noises.

Last edited by CREAO; 01-12-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #15
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREAO View Post
Explain "load suspension"?

I have OEM swaybar and when I went to connect the end links I had to use a jack on the swaybar to bend it up high enough to connect the end links.
This is not good. Your swaybars should move freely in the bushings. You have preloaded the suspension. It's like adding additional spring rate. You may want to unbolt your bushings and lube them so the bar moves freely.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #16
Alex323Ci

Quote:
I'll check that dust sheild around the rotor. I know I need wheel spacers but couldn't imagine the wheel would "click" against the coil. I just ordered ECS tuning spacers, so I will let you know what happens from here
P.s. I did not slam it. Just enough to cover the gap
well here's the order in which I would check the things I listed:
1) endlink nuts. for both connections at the swaybar and the strut
2) dust shield being bent
3) wheel against the strut/coil

something else to consider is that your wheel bolts aren't tight. you'd be surprised at how often this happens with DIY'ers.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #17
CREAO

Quote:
This is not good. Your swaybars should move freely in the bushings. You have preloaded the suspension. It's like adding additional spring rate. You may want to unbolt your bushings and lube them so the bar moves freely.
Did not know this. (car has 160k, things get a little crusty, lol). Will keep in mind. However, the whole sway bar did move when I jacked it up, the other side connected perfectly.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #18
CREAO

Quote:
well here's the order in which I would check the things I listed:
1) endlink nuts. for both connections at the swaybar and the strut
2) dust shield being bent
3) wheel against the strut/coil

something else to consider is that your wheel bolts aren't tight. you'd be surprised at how often this happens with DIY'ers.
Will double check tomorrow. Thank you!! However, wouldn't loose bolts cause vibration?

Last edited by CREAO; 01-12-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #19
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Will double check tomorrow. Thank you!! However, wouldn't loose bolts cause vibration?
yes it would.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #20
austine46

My Ride: m54b25
Quote:
OMG all the time LOL. +10000000

everyone's a critic
FS: coupe facelift xenons, stock headers no cats, stock sport suspension for coupe, oil separator, non m coupe lip
austine46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilovers, e46, front, issues, ticking