E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
tsegreto

My Ride: E46 M3
E46 M3 SMG Troubleshooting

Hello,

I have done a lot of reading on all the BMW forums, and my 2004 E46 SMG M3 has dreaded SMG problems.

The car won't go into gear sometimes, sometimes it will get stuck in a gear, recently it seems it has been going into neutral when it says it's in gear, and once it wouldn't even start.

My mechanic and I have checked the SMG fluid levels and replaced the salmon colored relays, no luck on either of those two fronts.

My mechanic (whom is a very good friend of mine) and I are at a loss on how to proceed. Using OBD II I get this error code over and over (this is the only error code I am getting):

P0750 Shift Solenoid A Malfunction

We have no idea how to proceed any further, could anyone help us troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-18 14.57.26.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	622626  
tsegreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
srm200

My Ride: evo viii rs
How many miles are on the car? Any previous SMG repairs? I am not as familiar will the generic codes, but I think that code is related to the slave cylinder. Without a factory tool or equal, it will be hard to troubleshoot this issue. The next thing you can do without any equipment is remove the slave cylinder(leave the hydraulic line connected because you will not be able to bleed it without a better tool) and inspect the clutch fork. I have seen the pivot pin for the clutch fork brake or the fork come loose due to a problem with the clutch/PP/TO bearings and cause intermittent issues until it breaks all the way.
srm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
tsegreto

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by srm200 View Post
How many miles are on the car? Any previous SMG repairs? I am not as familiar will the generic codes, but I think that code is related to the slave cylinder. Without a factory tool or equal, it will be hard to troubleshoot this issue. The next thing you can do without any equipment is remove the slave cylinder(leave the hydraulic line connected because you will not be able to bleed it without a better tool) and inspect the clutch fork. I have seen the pivot pin for the clutch fork brake or the fork come loose due to a problem with the clutch/PP/TO bearings and cause intermittent issues until it breaks all the way.
Hi! Thanks for responding. I have 80,000 miles, don't really drive fast (too often ) or race it. No previous SMG work. Could you please elaborate on what you said and factory tools? I am not a mechanic, and don't know that much, I have read the SMG troubleshooting guides but I am at a loss for some things. And truthfully I don't understand a lot of what you said but I would like to explore what you're talking about.
tsegreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
srm200

My Ride: evo viii rs
By "factory tools" I meant a dealership level scan tool or something close to it. Sorry about that. If you do not have access to something like this, you will likely spend a lot of time and get nowhere. SMG diag is not always easy, even with the factory tools. Trust me, I know.
My M3 had an SMG pump/valve body failure. Replaced the pump. 50 miles later clutch fork pivot pin broke. Took the transmission out and replaced that and the clutch kit since we were in there and it had 101k miles on it. I also replaced the slave cylinder because it didn't look so good. At this point I'm in $4k in parts and a lot of work. 300 miles later, the shift actuator(the last part in the system basically) went out. The car sits because it is another $2500 part and another time of taking out the transmission to replace it. I'm just going to convert my car to a standard 6 speed instead.
We have a car in the shop now that only has 77k on it and has an SMG failure. Mine started and snowballed at 101k. So you are there.

If your car needs a pump/valve body. I have one for you with only 350 miles on it. lol.
srm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:44 AM   #5
M3revspeed

My Ride: TiAg DINAN-S2 M3
Op, how are you checking the SMG fluid?

IG: M3revspeed
M3revspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:33 AM   #6
iansevilla

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
I had mine done by EuroAuto Spot in Miramar, San Diego Ca two weeks after purchasing the car. Car had 127k at the time. I have 145k now with no problems. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1453880010.809546.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	623028
iansevilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smg, solenoid, troubleshooting