E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2016, 02:44 AM   #1
Lenny325

My Ride: 2001 325i
stupid tilting mirror

Ok guys so here is my issue, my passenger mirror used to work properly, now it doesn't. I have it set in the right position so before anyone starts telling me to switch the mirror control to different side, this is not the issue. Basically if i have mine set in the driver's side which allows mirror to tilt in reverse, it will tilt down but then it will not come back up. This is a very important feature to me since i live in NYC and have no driveway and it's dark around my house at night. I don't want to destroy my rims so i always end up parking slightly further than i would like.

How can i fix this issue? is it the motor ? the module ? Controlling the mirror works and it till tilts, it just doesn't come back up when switching out of the reverse position ( it used to work ).
Lenny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
Phillips0417

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP
Mine had the same issue. I found the ribbon cable in the driver mirror was severed about halfway through causing a short. I removed it from the plug in the door and my passenger side started working again. It would do the exact same thing you're saying, it would sometimes get stuck in the down position and I would have to readjust it by hand. Huge PITA. Now it dips every time I go into reverse and goes back every time.
Phillips0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Lenny325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips0417 View Post
Mine had the same issue. I found the ribbon cable in the driver mirror was severed about halfway through causing a short. I removed it from the plug in the door and my passenger side started working again. It would do the exact same thing you're saying, it would sometimes get stuck in the down position and I would have to readjust it by hand. Huge PITA. Now it dips every time I go into reverse and goes back every time.
OHH sounds interesting, do you have any pics by any chance? i've never messed around with the doors.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny325 View Post
Ok guys so here is my issue, my passenger mirror used to work properly, now it doesn't. I have it set in the right position so before anyone starts telling me to switch the mirror control to different side, this is not the issue.
It should be to the left
Old 02-16-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
Lenny325

[QUOTE=JJR4884;16898535]It should be to the left [/QUOTE

right meaning correct, not right(passenger) side stop trolling.

Last edited by Lenny325; 02-16-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
It should be to the left

The issue is that that the mirror dips as it should, but stays there. It does not come back up when the gear selector is moved off of R.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
jdstrickland

You shift into R and the mirror dips as it should, then shift out of R and the mirror stays?

My guess is the comfort module or GM5, or whatever it is called is on the fritz. You can move the joystick and aim the mirror anywhere you want it, so the mirror motor is working. When you shift into R, then out of R, the general module tells the mirror to move. The mirror moves one way, but not the other.

Since you can move the mirror in every direction with the joystick, then the trouble has to be the module is not sending the not-R signal to the mirror to reposition it after the R signal changes back. The transmission has an R and a not-R signal that is used to tell the mirror to move. You are not getting the not-R signal, or the module is not processing it correctly. I have no clue what that means, or that I have described it accurately, but this is the path that will lead you to the answer.

I do not think the trans itself is the trouble, I think that the module that moves the mirror is not working. R and not-R is just a complicated way to say that the Back Up lights are on, or not. When on the mirror dips, when off the mirror comes back to normal position.

This might be a good time to have the BMW Scanner 1.4 so that you can look at the various modules in your car.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:

right meaning correct, not right(passenger) side stop trolling.
gotta have a little fun on my random day off

glw the fix... these cars can be a pain in the ass at times

Last edited by JJR4884; 02-16-2016 at 04:12 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #9
miatard

My Ride: Cars
Ok before going into any of the complicated ****, try checking your fuses.

I had the exact same problem when I first got my ZHP 6+ years ago @ 52K miles. Car was mint, but mirror would not go down at times. I simply pulled each fuse, sprayed contact cleaner, & reinserted/pulled/reinserted a few times. Haven't had the issue since. Go figure.
miatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #10
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatard View Post

I had the exact same problem when I first got my ZHP 6+ years ago @ 52K miles. Car was mint, but mirror would not go down at times. I simply pulled each fuse, sprayed contact cleaner, & reinserted/pulled/reinserted a few times. Haven't had the issue since. Go figure.

You're missing an important thing, the mirror goes down as it should. The problem is that it stays aimed down, it does not come back up. And, the mirror moves in all directions when using the joystick to adjust it.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #11
miatard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
You're missing an important thing, the mirror goes down as it should. The problem is that it stays aimed down, it does not come back up. And, the mirror moves in all directions when using the joystick to adjust it.
Gotcha. I'm procrasturbating between meetings so my b.

Well, all I can say is that electrical problems are horrible to diagnose. Without advanced equipment, your options are pretty much limited to educated guesswork. Start with the fuses, then move on to the actual switch. These are easy. Then try what the poster above said and take a look physically at what's going on, if you can. When it's stuck in the down position, have you tried moving the switch to the right (or whatever it is to make it NOT go down)? Does it respond then?

From this link, it doesn't appear that the GM 5 module controls that function?

https://www.bmwgm5.com/
Old 02-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #12
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Is it right or left? The documentation says it has to be to the right but I think it's an electrical issue of some sort and all I know is mine works whenever it wants no matter where the switch is

Quote:

Do you know what the fuse is for the mirror by any chance?

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<

Last edited by lllRazorlll; 02-16-2016 at 05:45 PM.
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #13
Phillips0417

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP
Quote:
OHH sounds interesting, do you have any pics by any chance? i've never messed around with the doors.
Sorry, I don't have any pics of it. I did a quick search and a lot of results came up for door panel removal / mirror replacement.
Phillips0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:10 PM   #14
miatard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
Is it right or left? The documentation says it has to be to the right but I think it's an electrical issue of some sort and all I know is mine works whenever it wants no matter where the switch is

Do you know what the fuse is for the mirror by any chance?
Don't recall exactly which fuse it was - based on the card it looks like it's 25? I think I just went crazy & cleaned them all, though.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #15
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Don't recall exactly which fuse it was - based on the card it looks like it's 25? I think I just went crazy & cleaned them all, though.
Looks like 31 or 57. I'll try it out through and see if it works. I know it used to work and now it does it when its want

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #16
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
My car has a similar issue, but not the same.

When I bought it, the mirror would not dip automatically, but I had full control manually. After a while it started dipping only a little. Then it started acting normally and did for quite some time. Now it's back to dipping only a little.

Clearly not the switch or mirror motor. Looks like the module is the next place to look I guess. I think a buddy has PA soft, so I'll explore that option, unless someone else has a more definitive answer.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #17
Lenny325

So it's def. not the motor and not the joystick. The memory Module probably has nothing to do with it either. what other possibilities are therE?
Old 02-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #18
evanr614

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Mine tilts down in reverse, only the passenger side (idk if thats normal) and then stays tilted down when i put it in drive. have to manually put it back with the joystick. never figured out why

Atlantis Blue 328Ci Project Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...523&highlight=
evanr614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #19
Lenny325

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanr614 View Post
Mine tilts down in reverse, only the passenger side (idk if thats normal) and then stays tilted down when i put it in drive. have to manually put it back with the joystick. never figured out why
thats my exact problem
Old 02-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #20
evanr614

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
thats my exact problem
lemme know if you find the fix i havent investigated mine at all

Atlantis Blue 328Ci Project Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...523&highlight=
evanr614 is offline   Reply With Quote