E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
bennyb123

My Ride: 318ci Coupe
Cutting Out 318ci Crankshaft Sensor?

Hi
New to the forum,
I wondered if anyone knew what might be causing this,
My car cut out when pulling off from a roundabout, All the lights came up, dtc, yellow handbrake light, and beeped.
I pulled over after ruling a few things out disconnected the battery which I heard resets the ecu? and the car fired straight up and I drove home.
Little later went out to the gym as I thought it was a one off and it seemed fine, did it again on the way there, same thing, disconnected battery and fired up got to the gym ok on the way back did the same thing again, however this time it would not fire right up and I had to wait about 20 mins and then again drove home,
Next day, stupid i know, risked it again thinking I would just have to disconnected the battery and maybe wait a bit, cut out at a junction. Wouldn't start for an hour, called recovery, started drove 100 FT and did it again then had to wait a further 2 hours for recovery.
I got the guy to plug in the fault code reader and it came up with these codes.

P0015 Exhaust (B) Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit

P0011 Intake (A) Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Advanced (Bank 1)

P0366 Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1)

He said it was most likely the crank sensor as he could not hear the fuel pump but the car turns over and will start fine just not for long.
I have had the whole timing chain assembly replaced if that means anything as it was knocking before?
I will post a video below

The Car Is A 2004 318ci Coupe N42B20A

Any help is really appreciated !
Many thanks
bennyb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
bennyb123

https://vid.me/e/HEcq

Heres a video of when I can get the car started and dying

Last edited by bennyb123; 02-22-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Good that you read the codes. That said, I don't think all those sensors would fail at the same time.

What's the history of the fuel filter and fuel pump? Those could certainly cause the stall you described. Don't know if they would cause those codes though.

Just and FYI - when my Cam position sensor was going out the car would randomly stall from a stop especially under light throttle.

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
bennyb123

Thanks for replying to me,
Thats what i thought was strange and the car when it starts if it does sounds runs drives completely fine,

I did have the fuel filter done, dont know much about the fuel pump, but the car does have 128k on it, could it be the pump?

Cheers for the heads up on the cam sensors, its funny i got all those codes, could that mean there could be a problem with the timing chain again?
Thanks
-B
Old 02-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Fuel pumps in our cars typically last for about 125k miles or so. I think poster jfoj figured that the pump will last about 5000 hours of operation. That means the pump will fail at varying miles. The pump will fail in two ways:
- soft fail whereby the pump does pump fuel but at a reduced pressure
- hard fail whereby the pump just quits

It sounds like your pump is in the soft fail mode. Buy a Siemens/VDO pump from an online vendor. Siemens/VDO is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Don't buy a pump from a parts store as it'll die in short order.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
bennyb123

Cheers for the reply,
I have followed the diagnosis on another thread for fuel pump failure and you seem to be right,
I am going to change the fuel pump with an OEM one and will update the thread.
Thanks for your help
-B

Tags
camshaft position sensor, crank, crankshaft, cutting out, sensor