E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2016, 12:15 AM   #1
Jdwxyz

My Ride: '01 325ci
Both Factory HIDs Flashing

2001 325ci

When I got the car all the lights worked flawlessly. Then one day I noticed when I first turned on the factory hid low beams after about 5 seconds of being on they would both turn off and back on quick once and then stay on and work fine. Then a month later or so of doing this I noticed after the first flash maybe 10 or 20 seconds later they would flash off and on again then work fine. So I had the bumper off the other day to replace the horns and after I got everything put back together I noticed the low beams just flash almost twice per second at a constant rate and both at the same time. I can also hear what sounds like a relay clicking at the same rate behind the glovebox. But it only clicks when the fog lights are on. Both high beams also ever so slightly flicker if you watch them close, however not at a constant rate and not together.

Tried unplugging one ballast at a time and the other still flashes.
Tried new hid bulb to no avail.
Tail lights have the ground wire fix.
Fog lights work perfectly other than clicking sound.
No codes or light out indicator.
13.9v running.

Not sure where to start. Not sure what I could have broken or shorted when taking the bumper off. Did a bunch of googling and no one seems to have the same symptoms.

Update: all exterior lights flicker
LCM?

Last edited by Jdwxyz; 02-25-2016 at 03:50 AM.
Jdwxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Damn, I was going to say to check the tail light grounds but what's left would be check/replace all fuses/relays related to lighting. Check voltages on the wiring harness. Check all of the wiring at the headlights for any frayed wires. After that it might just be the LCM :/
Old 02-27-2016, 02:08 AM   #3
Jdwxyz

Got ahold of a laptop at a friends house and scanned it. Had some LCM codes

Currently not present:
-Turn lights switch/wire, short circuit to ground
-High beam/headlight flasher switch, short circuit to ground

Currently present:
-HVAC, front load sensor, short circuit to ground
-HVAC, rear load sensor, short circuit to ground

Cleared the codes a couple times but they came back, lights still flicker and low beams still flash. Auto leveling headlights seem to work fine, cycle on startup and seem to be at the proper level. Highbeams and signals all work with the exception of the ever so slight flicker. No light out indicator on dash.

Last edited by Jdwxyz; 04-11-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #4
Jdwxyz

Can't fine any obvious shorted wires or anything. The low beams will flash when you first turn the lights on for about 45 seconds or so and then will work fine until you turn on the left turn signal (or hazards) and then as soon as the signal lever is returned to the centre position the low beams will begin flashing again for 45 seconds or so. If the fog lights are on during this, relay #5 behind the glove box will tick at the same rate as the headlights flash, just slightly faster than once per second, and stop when the headlights stop flashing. However the fog lights continue to operate perfectly normal no flashing or flickering of any sort.

Last edited by Jdwxyz; 04-11-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:51 AM   #5
BMWoah

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
I had a similar problem when I first got my 328i. It seemed like my highbeams would flash randomly and I felt like a dick on the highway at night blinding oncoming traffic.

Turns out that one of my rear signal lights was not working. New bulb and cleaning the.contact didn't seem to help. I replaced taillights with new LED kit and lo and behold the flashing highbeams problem disappeared. To this day I have no idea why it fixed it. But maybe this will.give you some clue about your light issues.

Last edited by BMWoah; 05-27-2016 at 12:52 AM.
BMWoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:47 AM   #6
alexs.lens

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Damn, I was going to say to check the tail light grounds but what's left would be check/replace all fuses/relays related to lighting. Check voltages on the wiring harness. Check all of the wiring at the headlights for any frayed wires. After that it might just be the LCM :/
Hey Jake, do you know how one would do the tail light grounding with Eagle Eye tail lights? I assume a weld of the brown wire to the chassis would do it?
Also, how would you go about checking the voltage of the xenon headlight?

Last edited by alexs.lens; 06-02-2016 at 11:56 PM.
alexs.lens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flash, flicker, headlight, hid