E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2016, 11:24 PM   #21
glhx

My Ride: 2002 330ci
The best thing you can do is text me.

931-252-1650
That goes for anyone

Scotch brite pad-----gray......scuffs clear, makes it dull, puts enough scratches in it to get paint or clear to restick to it.

Scotch brite pad----red.....too rough. Do t use
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #22
glhx

Step 0
Clean parts

Step 1
what your after is getting the scratches in the clear to get new paint to stick to it. Gray scotch brite is all you need

Step 2
Clean it with wax and grease remover after dulling

Step 3
To clean it with wax and grease remover
You get the LINT FREE CLOTH wet with the wax remover and clean the paint. While it is still wet on the paint...wipe off with dry cloth.
What your doing is using the liquid wax and grease remover to suspend the dirt and lift it off the paint. Then using the dry cloth to wipe the dirt away. Weird but true

Then mix paint according to paint direction on the can.
Then adjust the paint gun.
Then shoot paint.
Let paint tack up for specified time.

Re adjust the gun
Then clear.
Let it dry

Sand it with 1200
Then 2000 then
Polish

Text for for complete information. I'm a patient guy and don't mind smart or stupid questions. If you don't know you don't know.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:35 PM   #23
glhx

If you want to half ass it. Spray it with rattle can

My wrecked , temporarily fixed with filler, bumper is rattle canned. When I put the new bumper on I'll paint it right.

Gues what.....no one noticed or cared and it looks ok.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #24
glhx

And.....don't buy anything from Home Depot

Go to a paint store. It's cheaper and better. Wet sand paper is good.i buy rolls of sticky backed paper and stick it to my block sanders to get good sands. Like I said. Call me and I'll go through it. I typically only tell people the correct way.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:12 AM   #25
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADF15H View Post
...You can use any quality primer, paint, and clearcoat, in whatever color....Just scuff with a pad for adhesion. If you scuff through the original primer you may have to use some Plastic Primer. Put on a few coats of base color in whatever color you choose. The clear coat is a protector coat, that area gets bombarded with rock chips, sand, salt, and road debris. Pretty sure you can get it in a matte finish as well, if that's what you want. The beauty of those parts is they don't have a large flat surface, so even if you have a few mistakes you don't want to take the time to sand down, it will be hard to notice.
No no I don't have a problem with sanding, just thought originally "spray and be done!" Mildly upset it's more than that...but I would like the look. I'll be going to Home Depot with this thread as my shopping lost tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
They didn't have the same bumper but look at the grille in the "mouth" the car "face" makes

Note the 330i. Silver headlight trim + bumper plastics for a more premium appearance
I see what you're saying here. There's not many E46 330 sedans in my area/I don't typically look at sedans, so I've never noticed this!
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:21 AM   #26
glhx

The only thing at Home Depot you might want would be an air compressor and a paint gun. You really should go to an automotive paint store. Even autozone would be ok

A paint store would still have cheaper and better products

Last edited by glhx; 03-18-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #27
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
No no I don't have a problem with sanding, just thought originally "spray and be done!" Mildly upset it's more than that...but I would like the look. I'll be going to Home Depot with this thread as my shopping lost tomorrow

I see what you're saying here. There's not many E46 330 sedans in my area/I don't typically look at sedans, so I've never noticed this!
Not many 328/330s sold in general. I guess people that bought them were ones who didn't really care too much about cars or knew they wanted a BMW and could care less about any other information

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #28
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhx View Post
The only thing at Home Depot you might want would be an air compressor and a paint gun. You really should go to an automotive paint store. Even autozone would be ok

A paint store would still have cheaper and better products
Like oReilly's and harbor freight? Never heard of an automotive paint store
Old 03-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #29
YoitsTmac

Quote:
The best thing you can do is text me.
Best thing you could do is text me
Scotch brite pad-----gray......scuffs clear, makes it dull, puts enough scratches in it to get paint or clear to restick to it.

Scotch brite pad----red.....too rough. Do t use
I didn't want to bother you with my little paint experiment >.<
Also, no one knew what a scotch brite pad was at harbor freight, home depot, or O'Reileys. Those are the places I stopped by this morning. We don't have a dedicated paint place around here, or an auto zone...believe it or not.

So the items below are what I ended up getting. I tried to keep it all brand related but they didn't have my color. Everything was too dark otherwise.

edit: I don't know why the image is upside down...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5502.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	627050  

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 03-18-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #30
Rogue Pyro

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
If you want to half ass it. Spray it with rattle can

My wrecked , temporarily fixed with filler, bumper is rattle canned. When I put the new bumper on I'll paint it right.

Gues what.....no one noticed or cared and it looks ok.
No need to half-ass a rattle can job either. Like you said, it all starts with the prep, this is true regardless of how you paint it. I painted my front and rear bumpers with a rattle can and the paint matched great! Its been two years and it still looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
I didn't want to bother you with my little paint experiment >.<
Also, no one knew what a scotch brite pad was at harbor freight, home depot, or O'Reileys. Those are the places I stopped by this morning. We don't have a dedicated paint place around here, or an auto zone...believe it or not.

So the items below are what I ended up getting. I tried to keep it all brand related but they didn't have my color. Everything was too dark otherwise.
I would stay away from rust-oleum. You should try and get some paint from a site like http://www.paintscratch.com . They match it really well with the OEM colors.

Last edited by Rogue Pyro; 03-18-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Rogue Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #31
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Pyro View Post
I would stay away from rust-oleum. You should try and get some paint from a site like http://www.paintscratch.com . They match it really well with the OEM colors.
I won't be using rust-oleum for my color, I'm actually returning that...it's not the shade I want. I will however, be using their primer and matte finish clear coat. I'm using dupli-color for my paint. There is no color name however, but it is very similar to the shade and shiny qualities of the MacBook Pro I'm typing on.

Edit: It's also less metallically/sparkly.

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 03-18-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #32
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well as you found out the 330Ci got the silver front facia trim.

i painted mine Silver on my 323Ci some ten odd years ago. i also painted my headlight inserts to match. i prepped and rattle canned them. looked great and also held up fine.
the parts remove real easy with exception of the center mesh grid.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #33
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
well as you found out the 330Ci got the silver front facia trim.

i painted mine Silver on my 323Ci some ten odd years ago. i also painted my headlight inserts to match. i prepped and rattle canned them. looked great and also held up fine.
the parts remove real easy with exception of the center mesh grid.
Pics? And the grill mesh was hard to move as in it was stubborn?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #34
YoitsTmac

Started moving on this today. Fog lights are currently primed, but would love any advice for removing the bumper mesh grill? There were clips on some pins on the bottom, but the top is hard. Would love to hear what anyone thinks about removing it. Again, it's a pre-facelift coupe front bumper (mesh grill)
Old 04-14-2016, 03:03 AM   #35
YoitsTmac

All finished! I used 1,500 grit all the way to the end, and then on the top coat I used 2000 grit, followed by a polish. My process was wash, sand with 1500, prime 3 times, paint 3 times with last coat being thick (per cans instructions), and final coat. Yes, it could have been better. The pain is a little inconsistent and there are a few imperfections where I put thick layers on. All imperfections were due to my impatience. I don't care because the trim is so low most people won't see them. I'm definitely happy with the results. I will do the mesh grill later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6198.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	629362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6200.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	629363   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6204.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	629364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 1.05.25 AM.jpg
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	629367  

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 1.05.29 AM.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	629368  

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 04-14-2016 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #36
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Glix if you were to paint the rear diffuser of an MTech 2 bumper black to give it a more glossy look how would you go about that? Same steps as in post #22?

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #37
YoitsTmac

Just want to say that I do recommend a paint gun, and that should fix the imperfections I told you about on my other thread

Tags
front bumper, paint, pre facelift, trim