Lowering springs - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Nolans328ci

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
Lowering springs

I have a 2000 328ci and I'm running on 18 inch wheels with 255x35 tires all around. It's the coupe so it has factory sport suspension so it really is already decently kinda low but not very. I'm looking for some high quality lowering springs to lower it MAYBE maximum .75 to 1 inch. The h&r race springs seem alright but I'm not sure if I'll rub like crazy because of the wheel size. I don't want coilovers yet because I'd rather get a great quality set of $300 springs than buy cheap $800 coilovers that will be crap. Also I'm not building a racecar so I'm not dead set on getting coilovers even if they are better than springs. I'm just looking for a good performing set of springs that won't lower my car that much but just enough to get rid of wheel gap
Nolans328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
evanr614

My Ride: used 2 have 2 pedals
i have a set of H&R Race Springs in mint condition for sale for the right price.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...652&highlight=

Atlantis Blue 328Ci Project Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...523&highlight=
evanr614 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:08 AM   #3
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Eibach Pro Kit
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto
Got the Eibach pro kit.. Love it. Not too low, just right. Nice and tight handling coupled with my Konis. Nowhere to enjoy in crappy brooklyn ny though :-(
EmFiftyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:38 PM   #5
Nolans328ci

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanr614 View Post
i have a set of H&R Race Springs in mint condition for sale for the right price.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...652&highlight=
What size rims and tires were you using with them and was there any rubbing?
Nolans328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolans328ci View Post
What size rims and tires were you using with them and was there any rubbing?
you don't want their "Race" version you would want the H&R "Sport". the "Race" are firmer and also drop more than the "Sport".

I had the H&R Sport with my Konis on my 2000 323Ci with VMR CSL 18" staggered wheels. it's just the right amount of drop from the factory sport springs in my humble opinion.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
Eibach Pro Kit

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,Custom Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
Rob43

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
you don't want their "Race" version you would want the H&R "Sport". the "Race" are firmer and also drop more than the "Sport".

What kind of nonsense is this.........?

I guess this is why everyone is granted an opinion.

I've been running the H&R Race #50484-88 springs for about 5 years now, they're a Fantastic Performance Lowering Spring.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #9
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolans328ci View Post
I have a 2000 328ci and I'm running on 18 inch wheels with 255x35 tires all around. It's the coupe so it has factory sport suspension so it really is already decently kinda low but not very. I'm looking for some high quality lowering springs to lower it MAYBE maximum .75 to 1 inch. The h&r race springs seem alright but I'm not sure if I'll rub like crazy because of the wheel size. I'm just looking for a good performing set of springs that won't lower my car that much but just enough to get rid of wheel gap
Quote:
I had the H&R Sport with my Konis on my 2000 323Ci with VMR CSL 18" staggered wheels. it's just the right amount of drop from the factory sport springs in my humble opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
What kind of nonsense is this.........?
I guess this is why everyone is granted an opinion.
I've been running the H&R Race #50484-88 springs for about 5 years now, they're a Fantastic Performance Lowering Spring.
Rob43
for a limited drop for a Coupe and amount he wants to go is exactly why
Old 03-31-2016, 05:31 PM   #10
Rob43

Quote:

Like I said,....everyone has an opinion.

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #11
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Like I said,....everyone has an opinion.
Rob43
sorry Rob you lost me here today, i don't understand what this is referring to.
about what his opinion is about what he wants/likes? or the spring rate and the drop?
because the drop is quantifiable and as such not an opinion.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #12
evanr614

My Ride: used 2 have 2 pedals
Quote:
OP stated .75" to 1" drop. That is exactly in the range of what H&R Race springs will do to his car with sport suspension. They are really great springs and the amount of drop they give is over exaggerated in my opinion.

Atlantis Blue 328Ci Project Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...523&highlight=
evanr614 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:00 PM   #13
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanr614 View Post
OP stated .75" to 1" drop. That is exactly in the range of what H&R Race springs will do to his car with sport suspension. They are really great springs and the amount of drop they give is over exaggerated in my opinion.
i'm not saying they are bad.
but which of the two H&R line between Sport and Race lower more? (and also have a firmer spring rate). the Race version.
OP said he wanted that range as a Maximum. the H&R Sport are between the two and fit better to what he ask for. he's running 18" 255/35/18 and doesn't want it to rub. i'm not sure the model of tire, the width and offset of wheel but it's a much safer selection to go for the Sport than Race.
And the Race spring drop is not exactly in that range.
i'm just answering peoples questions. i'm not selling anything here or have a horse in this race.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:34 PM   #14
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Love my eibach pro kit. Minimal drop from sport suspension (0.75 inches in the front, 0.25 inches in the rear), slightly more firm. Paired with my Koni yellows they are very compliant and I never scrape.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS F&R Sway bars, M3 RTABs w/ Vorshlag Limiters, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TFX Projector retrofit by lightwerkz, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills, mobius dash cam
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:26 AM   #15
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Test drove an E46 when looking for mine that had H&R Race springs. Nice car but just too stiff for a daily driver.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:21 AM   #16
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 300K miles
When you get different height springs, do you need to change the shock? One of these days I know my 310,000 mile spring will break (one did years ago), when I replace them, I might consider a minimal drop. I have a Sachs shock...would it 'drop down' and adjust? Would it wear out quicker?

Also...OP...when Alex and Rob disagree, it's fine to trust either or both! Check your wheel size more carefully and look here in 'wheels and tires' forum...someone will have tried nearly exactly what you're doing and know whether there's a risk of rubbing with the 'racing' vs. 'sport' spring in your tire size.

Please don't rub...I know you don't want to. But I've seen so many cut apart their cars here so they could eliminate that ugly gap or save the wrong wheels they bought...I get very sad when I see that. Fortunately my GF and her beagle are very comforting to me.

Please view this vid so it looks like I'm popular. Please! https://youtu.be/995gLmVEVZk

dmax on Facebook

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #17
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
When you get different height springs, do you need to change the shock? One of these days I know my 310,000 mile spring will break (one did years ago), when I replace them, I might consider a minimal drop. I have a Sachs shock...would it 'drop down' and adjust? Would it wear out quicker?

Also...OP...when Alex and Rob disagree, it's fine to trust either or both! Check your wheel size more carefully and look here in 'wheels and tires' forum...someone will have tried nearly exactly what you're doing and know whether there's a risk of rubbing with the 'racing' vs. 'sport' spring in your tire size.

Please don't rub...I know you don't want to. But I've seen so many cut apart their cars here so they could eliminate that ugly gap or save the wrong wheels they bought...I get very sad when I see that. Fortunately my GF and her beagle are very comforting to me.

Not sure if I really read you might want to lower you car a little bit. Hmmmm something is up.

With the roads I saw in NY and NJ...don't lol

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,Custom Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #18
Oz Striker

My Ride: '00 330Ci, '07 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
That's my understanding, if you just swap in lowered stiffer springs on standard (esp old) dampers/shocks they will wear out faster.

On a similar vein, am I right in thinking that springs are good and maintain reasonable good function until they break?...... Unlike dampers which slowly lose their damping capabilities......
..... I have H&R cup kit, with 65k miles covered and 1 rear shock is kapuut. I was going to just swap all 4 shocks for one's of my choice (Koni or Bilsteins), the springs all look good, no cracks.
Oz Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #19
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post

With the roads I saw in NY and NJ...don't lol
+1

it's an obstacle course half the time your not sitting in traffic
EmFiftyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #20
Rob43

OP, curiously what did you decide ?

Rob43

Quote:

Tags
e46, lower, springs