E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #41
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Correct. It's high freq vibration that causes them to back off. I probably wouldn't weld them though just cause it's a lot of work and largely unnecessary. Permanent thread locker should add a nice layer of security. Wire tie seals the deal.

From the factory, ZHPs get an encapsulated nut as a fix. You don't really hear about those backing off.

This is incorrect info.

Why do you post on subjects that you have no experience in ?

My oil pump failed because of a Shaft failure. If the nut can't vibrate off, the shaft shears off given enough time....

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #42
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
This is incorrect info.

My oil pump failed because of a Shaft failure. If the nut can't vibrate off, the shaft shears off given enough time....

Rob43
I never said the shaft can't shear, I stated what can cause the nut to back off.

You're confusing two separate topics and strangely trying to connect the two. Please stop following me around like a lost puppy trying to stir up trouble. And for the record, I do have experience with this problem. I've reinforced my own nut as well as tended to three failures of OPNs--all of which are on this very forum. I think it's time to put the Budweiser down. Lets stay on topic here and stick to the facts and science.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #43
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianpegs View Post
I saw some welded nuts that sheared off which made me think the oil pump nut can be over tightened. That along with the heating that came from welding not properly tempered/annealed can cause the metal to become brittle where the weld is.
I figured if I tighten it up enough to hold the sprocket but minimal amount as not to stretch the spindle holding the sprocket, it would be the strongest approach.
If the sprocket can move around on the spindle, I agree it will cause damage aka cyclic load. But the torque specs for these nuts are only around 18 ft lbs. This makes me think there's not much force on the sprocket, but rather high frequency harmonic vibrations that vibrate the nut loose.
I haven't seen images of broken shafts so I can't say, but I'm going to speculate that they're probably torsion failures. So if that's how it is, then over torquing a little isn't going to hurt it. Welds tend to shrink diameters but I don't think it'll cause any extra preload.

If welding is correlated with broken shafts, I can't think of an actual cause from the weld.

Quote:
Correct. It's high freq vibration that causes them to back off. I probably wouldn't weld them though just cause it's a lot of work and largely unnecessary. Permanent thread locker should add a nice layer of security. Wire tie seals the deal.

From the factory, ZHPs get an encapsulated nut as a fix. You don't really hear about those backing off.
Quote:
This is incorrect info.

Rob43
Interesting. I've not seen any sheared yet. I've always heard of the nut coming off and that's it.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #44
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
I never said the shaft can't shear, I stated what can cause the nut to back off.

You're confusing two separate topics and strangely trying to connect the two. Please stop following me around like a lost puppy trying to stir up trouble. And for the record, I do have experience with this problem. I've reinforced my own nut as well as tended to three failures of OPNs--all of which are on this very forum. I think it's time to put the Budweiser down. Lets stay on topic here and stick to the facts and science.

You said & I quote:

"Correct. It's high freq vibration that causes them to back off."

Please get it right the first time. No one likes piss poor information.....maybe you should stop hitting the pipe.

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.

Last edited by Rob43; 08-19-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #45
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Stop dick measuring guys.

Do you have pics of the broken shafts? I'm interested to see.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #46
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Stop dick measuring guys.

Do you have pics of the broken shafts? I'm interested to see.
Eh this dude follows me around everywhere making stupid comments. He's been permanently blocked from my end.

As far as sheared shafts, it happens particularly on raced cars that see sustained high rpm operation. VAC has engineered a replacement pump and shaft years ago. It's been beat to death on E36 M3 forums over the years. You can check it out
Old 08-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #47
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Eh this dude follows me around everywhere making stupid comments. He's been permanently blocked from my end.

As far as sheared shafts, it happens particularly on raced cars that see sustained high rpm operation. VAC has engineered a replacement pump and shaft years ago. It's been beat to death on E36 M3 forums over the years. You can check it out

Be careful, what goes around comes around...

Vorshlag:

"since the last oil pump failure (above picture of bearings and sheered oil pump drive was from the first failure)."

Rob43
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-08-19 at 2.05.53 PM.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	638915   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2285-XL.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	638916  

Quote:
Old 08-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #48
Russianpegs

My Ride: 2004/03 330ci
Quote:

That would also work, although when I took the oil pan off an original zhp engine at one time I saw the nut and it was identical to a regular m54b30 engine. I read somewhere that bmw uses a special locktite-type of liquid on the threads. Other than that they looked the same to me. This is a zhp engine with oil pan off...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1471631008391.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	638917  
Russianpegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #49
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
That would also work, although when I took the oil pan off an original zhp engine at one time I saw the nut and it was identical to a regular m54b30 engine. I read somewhere that bmw uses a special locktite-type of liquid on the threads. Other than that they looked the same to me. This is a zhp engine with oil pan off...
Did you look inside the nut? The encapsulated stuff is inside the nut. like a stuffed crust pizza. Should be different. has its own part# i think.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #50
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
I remember someone pointing out that the long-stroke BMW engines that have oil chain tensioners (Euro S50, S54, N5x) don't have the OPN back off or shear shafts. I wonder if it'd be possible to fabricate a mount for an oil chain tensioner on the M54 and if that would help alleviate some of the problem.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 08-19-2016 at 01:31 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #51
BMW WHP

My Ride: 01 330Ci w/ stick
Quote:
Be careful, what goes around comes around...

Vorshlag:

"since the last oil pump failure (above picture of bearings and sheered oil pump drive was from the first failure)."

Rob43

You are correct, there are many well documented cases of sheared oil pump shafts.
op, gluing the nut or welding the nut is not the answer if your goal is higher HP and higher rpm.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-of-the-M54b30
BMW WHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #52
Russianpegs

Quote:
Did you look inside the nut? The encapsulated stuff is inside the nut. like a stuffed crust pizza. Should be different. has its own part# i think.
No, I didn't look inside the nut. It looked like it was all metal from briefly looking at it, but I can't say for sure.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #53
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
No, I didn't look inside the nut. It looked like it was all metal from briefly looking at it, but I can't say for sure.
It couldve been the product simply dried out, flaked out when you removed the nut.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #54
Russianpegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I remember someone pointing out that the long-stroke BMW engines that have oil chain tensioners (Euro S50, S54, N5x) don't have the OPN back off or shear shafts. I wonder if it'd be possible to fabricate a mount for an oil chain tensioner on the M54 and if that would help alleviate some of the problem.
That would be interesting, but from what I remember the chain connecting the oil pump sprocket to the crank sprocket is very short (oil pump sits almost right under the crank), so having a chain tensioner might not do much.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #55
Mango
e46mango.com

I think you guys will be fine. My E46 saw tons of sustained high rpm redline shifts with increased rev limiter (canyon driving) and when I pulled the pan, the nut was as tight as a nun's ***t. Haha... yes it's a concern, but really not a huge one. I think if you wire tie and loctite it, you'll be fine for life so long as you're not a full time racer. By that point, you'd be driving the wrong car anyway.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #56
BMW WHP

My Ride: 01 330Ci w/ stick
Quote:
I think you guys will be fine. My E46 saw tons of sustained high rpm redline shifts with increased rev limiter (canyon driving) and when I pulled the pan, the nut was as tight as a nun's ***t. Haha... yes it's a concern, but really not a huge one. I think if you wire tie and loctite it, you'll be fine for life so long as you're not a full time racer. By that point, you'd be driving the wrong car anyway.
LOL, your arrogance is incredible. Who are you to tell anyone how to enjoy their BMW.

Remember it's "The ultimate driving machine"

Last edited by BMW WHP; 08-19-2016 at 03:08 PM.
BMW WHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #57
Russianpegs

15. Pedal plate (it's plastic and is cut out where the clutch pedal is for manuals, but not for autos)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1471662047877.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	638947  
Old 08-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #58
Russianpegs

Ok, here's how the currently sits. It has been driven this week and boy it's not comfortable. It's loud, fast and rough. Unfortunately I don't have any onboard videos, I don't want to show you how not to drive on public roads...
But I've been working on the interior and will soon build a muffler for it.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #59
Russianpegs

It
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1471662561902.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	638948