E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
texaslonghorn

My Ride: EV
Need help with two little things on late M54

Hi. My son and I just finished up the tear down/cleanup/rebuild of the intake system on his 04 325 Ci (late production M54 - so its the model without the secondary air vacuum system hanging on the end of the manifold).

Everything thing went well, but I have a question about the small hard tube that goes into the smaller diameter inlet of the F-fitting on the upper intake boot. Obviously, one end connects to the intake, but the rotted rubber on the end of the hose gave way and the tube just kind of fell down into the back of the engine bay. I have no idea where it goes. Can somebody help out and maybe even post a pic or diagram?

Also, when we were doing the tear down, my son noticed that something was really hot -the car had not been started for 2 days. There is what look like a small pump under the intake filter box that may have something to do with the cooling system. That thing was really hot apparently from electrical power. I pulled the plug and it cooled down. Any idea what it is and why it's so dang hot? Do I need to replace it or track down a short?

Thanks.

Last edited by texaslonghorn; 07-10-2016 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo correction
texaslonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The second issue is the heater control valve. It's used to control the amount of coolant going into the heater core in the dash. It's open unless it's receiving 12VDC from the climate control unit (IHKA) in the dash. Are you saying it was hot without the key in the ignition? If so the IHKA is acting up.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
texaslonghorn

You are exactly right - it is hot even without the key. I'll have to look into the IHKA. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
texaslonghorn

I did some searching and this thread seems to be what I am experiencing, although my valve's external wiring and connector aren't melted yet. I guess I caught it in time and unplugged it.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1059173
Old 07-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslonghorn View Post
...I have a question about the small hard tube that goes into the smaller diameter inlet of the F-fitting on the upper intake boot. Obviously, one end connects to the intake, but the rotted rubber on the end of the hose gave way and the tube just kind of fell down into the back of the engine bay. I have no idea where it goes. Can somebody help out and maybe even post a pic or diagram?
Look up the part on realoem.com.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
dslboomer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Look up the part on realoem.com.
It is most likely a vacuum line to the fuel filter.
90 degree elbow adapter for vacuum line is highly recommended at the fuel filer

Last edited by dslboomer; 07-11-2016 at 11:43 AM.
dslboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #7
ms9876543

My Ride: 325i M Sport Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslonghorn View Post
..//.. I have a question about the small hard tube that goes into the smaller diameter inlet of the F-fitting on the upper intake boot. Obviously, one end connects to the intake, but the rotted rubber on the end of the hose gave way and the tube just kind of fell down into the back of the engine bay. I have no idea where it goes..//..
Its almost certainly the 'vacuum' line that runs to the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel filter, which lives behind a metal panel under the driver side (just check out any E46 fuel filter diy). However, you could just plug the fitting on the F-connector, your car will drive 100% fine, and worry about it some other day.

The M54's run on constant fuel pressure (~50psi), and that fitting never has any appreciable vacuum (providing your air filter isn't 100% clogged). The only purpose for that line is to provide a not-directly-to-the-environment place for the fuel to spray into in the (imo) unlikely event of a fuel pressure regulator diaphragm leak. So instead of it spraying 50 PSI of fuel onto the road/into your engine bay...it instead sprays it directly into your intake, possibly grenading your engine and getting you to shut off the fuel pump, and save the environment.

The alternative would be that it sprays onto the road (if the line is disconnected at the FPR), or into your engine bay (if the line is disconnected at the F-fitting)...you notice a severe drop in performance due to the lack of fuel pressure in the rail, then you stop with a fixable engine, but in a pool of gas.

Not sure which I would prefer...

EDIT: Btw...I've never heard of an actual case of an FPR in one of the M54 filters rupturing and spraying fuel through the line. And of course, if it was to leak, it could leak just a little, and give you some weird running rich situation, while avoiding the fuel leaking outside, so its not something I'd suggest doing intentionally, but its still a valid option.

Last edited by ms9876543; 07-11-2016 at 03:21 PM.
ms9876543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #8
texaslonghorn

Fantastic - thank you very much.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The IHKA gets inputs from the following:
Interior temperature
Heat exchanger temperature