E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Interior

Interior
Interior BMW parts. Pedals, trim, interior panels, seats, floor mats, shift knobs, e-brake handles, steering wheels, etc...

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2016, 12:39 AM   #1
BavarianZHP

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Birch Anthracite (INDIVIDUAL) interior trim set

I have a set of Birch Anthracite interior trim for sale for best offer... I'm not exactly sure how much these would sell for, so I'll let the market dictate price. This set is priceless and will fit BMW E46 Sedans.

Feel free to PM me your offers. Worst I can say is no.

Birch Anthracite Individual Trim set (8-piece set):
3 dash pieces: LCM, Radio, Passenger
2 front door pieces
2 rear door pieces
1 center console

I tried to get some close-ups of the trim because it's so unique. Unlike aluminum trim, each piece is different and has its own character - essentially these Individual trims are one offs. No two sets are alike.

There are two center console pieces that the buyer can choose from. I'll go into details about these later.

Imperfections:
  • The USA spec center console has two scratches/dings at the bottom.
  • The center radio dash piece has a small chip at the bottom leading edge. This can be visible in pics 8 and 9. Barely noticeable.
  • The LCM piece has a scratch on the right side that's hidden from view (impossible to see once installed, its on the bend that makes surface-to-surface contact with the steering wheel column)

***I also have a 6spd Birch Anthracite Shifter. It's a full wood knob, heavily weighted, and cracked - so I'll throw it in depending on the offer. Cracks do not affect function. If someone would like to buy it separately, feel free to PM. If you need an auto shift knob, feel free to let me know and I can perhaps get one later.

***Also available is a Birch Anthracite E-brake cover. Again, feel free to PM me if you would like this included. Keep in mind I'm willing to break up the set to fit your needs and budget. I'm a friendly guy and will be happy to work with you.

Pictures were taken 10/23/16. Enjoy:

As stated earlier:

I have two center consoles. The USA spec (with large cut outs pictured above ^^^) will fit our cars without any modifications. However it has two scratches.

The other center console is Euro spec (small window cut outs) and will only fit our cars with some cutting (simple to do.... I have done it on other sets already - just follow the BMW cut out guides on the back of the piece). I offer this one although its Euro spec because it's in perfect condition and the wood grain is much better:

I'll give the buyer a choice. If you would like the Euro spec piece, I can certainly cut it for you - but I cannot guarantee on the quality of cuts (I'll do my best, so no complaints after the fact.... but I'm always open to constructed criticism!) and payment must be sent first in order for me to allocate my time for you. Those that have cut out wood sets before will tell you that you need to be careful and spend time doing it. It's not just wood, but layers of metal, wood, and primer you'll have to cut through.

If you would like to cut it yourself, feel free to contact me and I'll show you how I did it with a rotary tool/dremel. My previous customer had no complaints with my results.

Thank you for your time and consideration!!!!

PS: I do have other Individual trim sets for sale (Willing to accept Best Offers too).

Light Birch (for my Convertible friends)
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1114354

BMW Silver Cube ZHP Trim
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1114414
BavarianZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
JVitolo

My Ride: '99 M3, 04 M3
Ugh why can't this be for a coupe!!
JVitolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
venerated

My Ride: 325xi / Mazda3
I'm interested, but I really have no idea how much things like this go for. Do you have a ballpark of how much you'd like to get for it?

2003 325xi Jet Black/Brown Leather
2016 Mazda3 s Grand Touring Jet Black Mica/Black Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvue View Post
a list of parts to replace on these is easy; just replace everything.
venerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
illirep

My Ride: Zhp
Awaiting response to my pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
illirep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
illirep

I don't particularly like when sellers bait buyers into making offers then slamming them with absurd prices. So for anyone wondering what the price is, he is expecting $900.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #6
BavarianZHP

I'm sorry if you took it like that Bill, but I meant nothing but respect. I offered this out as "best offer" to gauge the market as this is a one off and wanted to give people a chance at it.

I had already received offers when your offer came in yesterday, so I couldn't accept an offer of $550 shipped for both trim sets (birch + silver cube) I have for sale. I'm putting this into some context for readers: so I declined and asked for a price that I felt was competitive to the other bids I've already received.

I don't hold grudges, so if you're still interested hit me up. I do have other sets for sale. But next time I sell birch, I'll have a fixed price point so thanks for the tip.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
BavarianZHP

I admit, I was offering a kind of complex offering with different sets of center consoles. Just thought private negotiation was the best to settle one person's wants and needs as each may be different. Too complex to cover all the permutations (cut console 2, console 1, console 2 uncut, additional polishing of each, etc) and I only wanted to think of the one I was going to sell.

Last edited by BavarianZHP; 10-28-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
venerated

My Ride: 325xi / Mazda3
I don't have an issue with you getting offers. However, I did see the closest thing to this on eBay being sold was a set for a 5 series and it went for like $500. I think $900 is just a crazy amount to pay for trim, no matter what it is. I mean if someone would pay that, it's fine. But that price mixed with the PM/offer feels a little baity (not that I think that's what you're doing, but some people on here have and thats probably where illirep is feeling that vibe from).

2003 325xi Jet Black/Brown Leather
2016 Mazda3 s Grand Touring Jet Black Mica/Black Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvue View Post
a list of parts to replace on these is easy; just replace everything.
venerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
BavarianZHP

The conversation Bill and I was meant to stay private but he also wanted the inclusion of the e-brake handle and shifter. Plus I think I said 800-900 so although not wrong, Bill did state the high end. If he wanted just the bare minimum set, then sure I can see why $900 maybe isn't a reasonable price. Just trying to put this into context when a buyer wanted everything I have listed above plus the silver cube for $550 shipped. Honestly, I thought I was doing him a favor and paying respect with my response of $800-900 for the COMPLETE set. We could have negotiated easily and I'm still open to that. If he wants it for less, there'll be a COMPROMISE. Maybe minus ebrake handle and shifter or something else to shave a few $$$. Come on guys I don't want to be a flame war for anyone.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
illirep

My logic was $250 for the silver trim, which is what you are asking if I recall. Plus $300 for this set, based on what I spent on a similar set for my e39 M5. That figure also represents a 3x premium compared to the burl wood trim that is more common and is in line with the value of the most popular cube trim in good condition. The inclusion of a brake handle and cracked shift knob, that I assume don't have any standalone value didn't seem like a material part of the deal.

Sorry to go public with this but I felt that invoking a bidding war through PM isn't the best way of doing things.

Best of luck to you. I am not a buyer in that range.

Bill

Old 10-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
BavarianZHP

Bidding war? Sorry. I responded once and was open to negotiate. Honestly I had no idea my response would invoke this reaction (obviously). I respectfully decline $300. And you can't compare e39 birch to e46 unless the parts are interchangeable.... obviously.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
BavarianZHP

Also for the interested buyers, they are correct that a set of e39 birch sold for $500. That is one time point at the best price in the history of eBay.... ever... and for E39 birch trim at that, which is much more common (about 10x in fact. I'm BavarianE39's brother - he sells Birch exclusively for E39 on the 5 series forum). Don't expect to go on eBay and find another set at that price. Maybe around that price point but likely not for E39. There's just not enough context here. I welcome price matching for the E46. If you can find me a set of birch for e46 for sale in recent history than sure. I'll heavily consider it. Just trying to be as friendly as I can. Otherwise it's equivalent to asking a seller why his/her E39 M5 wheels are higher priced than another's E46 M3 wheels. Can you see the ridiculousness in that now? Yeah, none of those parts are interchangeable - completely different platform and irrelevant. That's the first sign that you're just grabbing at thin air.

Edit: here's the only e46 trim (albeit coupe)I could find: starting price was $1800. Like I said, can't compare to e46 sedan but it's closer than something for e39. Someone find me a better deal. Bill gave me one chance to respond to his $550 for both trim sets + ebrake + shifter + shipping.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=599077

Last edited by BavarianZHP; 10-28-2016 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Edit to include you can't compare e39 to e46
Old 10-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
xi46

My Ride: 2002 330xi ZPP/SP/CW
Birch Anthracite (INDIVIDUAL) interior trim set

Beautiful trim! If I didn't have extensive maintenance/performance plans I'd make you an offer. Just for reference, a brand new set of this trim (excluding console, ebrake, shifter) can be purchased for about $700. Part number is 51418008983. I believe the console part number is 51168008979.

Last edited by xi46; 10-28-2016 at 07:21 PM.
xi46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #14
BavarianZHP

I would like to explain to everyone the reasoning behind my counter-offer to Bill. As a seller I'm not obligated to, but how this thread is going I feel like I have to.

First off, I have a passion for BMW's like all of us. It's the common thread that binds us together. This item is of particular high value as it is EXTREMELY rare, desirable, and almost impossible to come by. It also has a story:

Wood sets are rarely in perfect condition (scratches, cracks, missing pins, missing pieces, etc) and for an individual set to be in pristine, intact condition is a miracle in of it itself. I also had to source this set from Germany from a source I've been working with for over 4 years. Both of us share a passion of finding the exquisite things in life and also helping others such as ourselves (some say, "fanatics") perfect our rides. Is the cost "absurd" to some? Yes. Ask any layman and they wouldn't "get it" - any passionate person has encountered someone like this before and had to deal with it. We've all met the, "yeah, I'd never spend that amount - you're crazy!" type of person who simply doesn't understand the perspective you have about it. I for one applaud you for your passion - you're not alone.

Finding the trim was the first difficult step - this took years (see my other threads when I was interested). Then once WE found one (after keeping a lookout and contacting countless OEM sources over the years), this trim was negotiated from another German in the German language. This is where my friend came in to seal the deal. Then it was carefully packaged and sent to his friend's place who took care of the packaging to be sent internationally to the USA. All in all, it took me coordinating between 3 people internationally and 3 months to finally get this in my hands.

I then open the package and hand polish the trim to a shine: first a rough polish, then fine, then a sealant. This takes me about 4-6 hours for all 10-pieces (I have before and after pics - before isn't included but the trim was in 9.7/10 shape to begin with). I do this on the weekends... why? Because I have this weird passion I can't explain to anyone.... It's also a risk polishing anything - so by hand I could control it but a part of me also realized I could ruin this one thing I've been searching for and finally obtained... and it was a worthwhile risk I took.

Finally after making sure everything looked PERFECT, I set the table and snap as many detailed pics I can - giddy with excitement and the willingness to share the experience. This set being this "special" I had to devote extreme close-ups at different angles! Has any other trim set gotten the same attention? I could go on and go....

Then Bill comes in and offers $300 shipped, and then throws some sort of tantrum when it doesn't go his way. I've followed your threads throughout the years while I was on ZHPmafia and even defended you on some occasions - so it felt like I couldn't just ignore your "lowball". I'm also 100% sure if you were in my situation or even just had a set of E46 birch in your possession you surely wouldn't let it go for $300 shipped. I mean come on.... I decided to respectfully offer you a reasonable counteroffer and informed you that we could negotiate further. Bill - I HAD respect for you until you threw up this thread in one of the most immature ways possible. The sad part is, as a seller yourself you must have encountered similar behavior too. It's a pity. It's common knowledge that if you do not accept the price you can walk away with your head held up high. The most disrepectful thing you can do is to complain publicly and do so with no real supporting reasoning. The point is no one has a price on E46 birch. It is priceless and is hard to dictate what it is truly worth.

Now if someone offered me this trim in this condition years ago, I'd fell with it in a heartbeat. Keep in mind that to justify my "absurd" price I paid much more than what Bill wants plus time. However this was money well spent and time worth invested. I made friends along the way and saw things I never knew was out there. Now I get to pass on a little part of my 'contribution' of a rare part finder to the rest of the world.

PS: I'm selling this to clear the closet. I have another set of individual trim for personal use. That and to keep passing on the experience and continue the set's story. It shouldn't end with me. May you have memorable adventures in your travels.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #15
BavarianZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi46 View Post
Beautiful trim! If I didn't have extensive maintenance/performance plans I'd make you an offer. Just for reference, a brand new set of this trim (excluding console, ebrake, shifter) can be purchased for about $700. Part number is 51418008983. I believe the console part number is 51168008979.
Even if it's "listed" it cannot be bought. That's a phantom price btw. Try contacting them. No one local source sells this trim. They were discontinued long ago.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #16
illirep

Dude, you are taking this way to personally. I totally get your price. I was just annoyed at the fact that no price was listed. I sent what I perceived as a valid offer, especially in the absence of an asking price, and you ignored it at first.

I just had someone pull a typical low balling stunt with me on a very expensive part I'm selling and probably took that frustration out on this thread. I sincerely apologize for that.

I respect your asking price 100%. Just be up front about it.

I just paid over $1k for the carbon strut brace. When I sell it one day and try and recoup that, I'm sure people are going to poo poo all over that thread. But I'm going to post it and be up front about it.

Sincerely wish you best of luck in selling this. People do pay premiums for rare parts, myself included. No hard feelings!

Old 10-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #17
BavarianZHP

Ignoring is rather strong. I can only respond in the evenings after work - I'm on clinical duty. I think I responded within 24 hrs same day no? I took it personally, yes I will be the first to admit my faults (healthcare will do that to do) but because you simply did not understand. Also you referred to my price as "absurd" publicly in the sale thread without even giving me another chance (which BTW is a bannable offense on many other forums - it's common courtesy if you do not like the price, walk away. That is the most powerful message. No need to vent frustration in the way you did.). Then you proceeded to vent on pricing that shouldn't and can't be compared to what I'm offering (E39) - of course it'll rub me the wrong way. I also tried to reason with you and admitted/agreed that this sale was complex due to the nature and my willingness to part the products out in any way the buyer wanted. I just tried to be accommodating. Finally, I'm not selling this to make a profit, so for you to call me out with no evidence did ruin my day at work... I actually had to respond while on duty via phone.

I do sincerely thank you for the apology and I'm sorry it turned out this way.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:24 PM   #18
BavarianZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by illirep View Post
I respect your asking price 100%. Just be up front about it.
Respect? is a funny way to put it

I read the rules and saw other threads that did not post discrete prices and instead accepted best offers. Why should I not be given the same rights?

As for the "up front about it" I did give you a counteroffer right off the bat in my very first response back to you. I didn't beat around the bush. Let's talk via PM if you still want to negotiate. We're all celebrating E46's here.

Tags
birch, bmw, individual, sedan, trim