E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
MP325xi

My Ride: 325xi
Noisy Oil Separator

I just replaced my CCV system and my oil separator is making a really loud knocking noise. Every time it knocks my idle drops about 200rpms and comes to 700rpms. Its also causing misfire codes, when my check engine light comes on my car runs like **** but when I erase the codes the car drives like a dream. Could it be bad oil? I'm using castrol 5w30 and I was running low on oil after replacing the ccv lines and mixed in about 2 quarts of 10w30 I had lying around. The temperature around my area has been a constant 40 degrees. Please help
MP325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP325xi View Post
I just replaced my CCV system and my oil separator is making a really loud knocking noise. Every time it knocks my idle drops about 200rpms and comes to 700rpms. Its also causing misfire codes, when my check engine light comes on my car runs like **** but when I erase the codes the car drives like a dream. Could it be bad oil? I'm using castrol 5w30 and I was running low on oil after replacing the ccv lines and mixed in about 2 quarts of 10w30 I had lying around. The temperature around my area has been a constant 40 degrees. Please help
No to literally every single thing you wrote here. Nothing makes any sense.

Your oil separator isn't making any noise. It's stationary.

You're using the wrong oil--Castrol 5w30, synthetic or otherwise, doesn't meet any of the required specs--but there's literally no way that's causing your issue. Even the wrong* oil will give you a good 3k miles of use. You can mix all modern oils, so that also has no bearing on the issue.

Make a video so we can hear the sound.

Did you replace the CCV yourself?

I'm a little worried that you might be damaging your engine by running it all.

JFOJ? BMW-North? This sounds like something a veteran needs to answer.

Edit: *I meant to write conventional instead of wrong.

Last edited by lingon300k; 01-24-2017 at 06:50 PM.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR zhp coupe
What brand CCV did you install?

Are you sure it's the CCV that is knocking and not the disa?
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
510leroy

My Ride: 2001 330i
Thanks ill post a vedio

Sent from my HTC 2PST2 using E46Fanatics mobile app
510leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #5
MP325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingon300k View Post
No to literally every single thing you wrote here. Nothing makes any sense.

Your oil separator isn't making any noise. It's stationary.

You're using the wrong oil--Castrol 5w30, synthetic or otherwise, doesn't meet any of the required specs--but there's literally no way that's causing your issue. Even the wrong oil will give you a good 3k miles of use. You can mix all modern oils, so that also has no bearing on the issue.

Make a video so we can hear the sound.

Did you replace the CCV yourself?

I'm a little worried that you might be damaging your engine by running it all.

JFOJ? BMW-North? This sounds like something a veteran needs to answer.
This is not my car but this video shows the same exact sound my own car makes. I replaced the CCV myself. This is going to sound completely stupid but I took off 2 o rings off two of the lines because they were impossible to get on. Also Im waiting on a o ring for the dipstick tube. Also I think its good to mention that this noise was happening before I replaced the CCV but it would stop once the car was warmed up. Now it makes this noise whenever at idle

Video

Last edited by MP325xi; 01-24-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
MP325xi

I got an aftermarket one on Amazon and not an OEM. It had very good reviews so I thought why not. Im certain that its not my Disa I've already repaired it
Old 01-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
This is not my car but this video shows the same exact sound my own car makes. I replaced the CCV myself. This is going to sound completely stupid but I took off 2 o rings off two of the lines because they were impossible to get on. Also Im waiting on a o ring for the dipstick tube.

Video

Try some di-electric grease on the o-rings next time.

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #8
lingon300k

Like I said, it's not the CCV.

You will need to take everything apart and do it again, because those o-rings are not optional. Without the o-rings, there's almost no point in having the hoses connected at all.

It's probably running so poorly due to the massive vacuum leak you created when you removed the o-rings.

That noise--I really don't know. It could be the DISA, I guess. Did you confirm that it holds vacuum?

Swordsman11868 is right--use dielectric silicone grease when you re-do everything. I even removed the manifold to do my CCV and hoses, and I don't think everything would have gone together without some silicone.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
stahlgraue46

Oil has nothing to do with anything. I also don't see how an oil separator can knock and make your idle drop. Sounds like a ping, misfire, or cough through the intake manifold. Check all your vacuum lines.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
stahlgraue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #10
MP325xi

Quote:
Like I said, it's not the CCV.

You will need to take everything apart and do it again, because those o-rings are not optional. Without the o-rings, there's almost no point in having the hoses connected at all.

It's probably running so poorly due to the massive vacuum leak you created when you removed the o-rings.

That noise--I really don't know. It could be the DISA, I guess. Did you confirm that it holds vacuum?

Swordsman11868 is right--use dielectric silicone grease when you re-do everything. I even removed the manifold to do my CCV and hoses, and I don't think everything would have gone together without some silicone.
Well luckily I only took off o-rings that are easy to get to but I don't have them anymore. Very stupid and novice mistake but I learned. Is there a set of O-rings online I can buy?

I inspected the Disa today and its perfectly fine. It has a flexible o-ring.

Last edited by MP325xi; 01-24-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #11
lingon300k

Quote:
Well luckily I only took off o-rings that are easy to get to but I don't have them anymore. Very stupid and novice mistake but I learned. Is there a set of O-rings online I can buy?

I inspected the Disa today and its perfectly fine. It has a flexible o-ring.
Watch this video:

I don't think the o-rings are available individually.

You might want to order the OEM CCV kit from FCP. I'm agnostic about the aftermarket CCV kits. They might be fine.

Last edited by lingon300k; 01-24-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #12
stahlgraue46

I watched the video, the rough idle you're talking about is because of a vacuum leak. And the knock you're describing is actually a pop, it's backfiring through the intake manifold. Fix the vacuum leak and you will get rid of both problems. I had the same issue when starting my engine with a broken line going to the vacuum manifold (on top the the manifold to the right of the fuel rail), so maybe a good idea to check that. If you have missing o-rings on any hoses around the manifold it can cause that.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #13
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
I inspected the Disa today and its perfectly fine. It has a flexible o-ring

You replaced the o-ring? The original is molded into the groove on the disa and has to be scraped when you replace it.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #14
MP325xi

Quote:
Watch this video:

I don't think the o-rings are available individually.

You might want to order the OEM CCV kit from FCP. I'm agnostic about the aftermarket CCV kits. They might be fine.
I'm going dumpster diving to find those o rings

I've already repaired my disa about a month ago (:
Old 01-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #15
MP325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahlgraue46 View Post
I watched the video, the rough idle you're talking about is because of a vacuum leak. And the knock you're describing is actually a pop, it's backfiring through the intake manifold. Fix the vacuum leak and you will get rid of both problems. I had the same issue when starting my engine with a broken line going to the vacuum manifold (on top the the manifold to the right of the fuel rail), so maybe a good idea to check that. If you have missing o-rings on any hoses around the manifold it can cause that.

Ok thank you so much!! I'm going to try to retrieve those orings
Old 01-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #16
MP325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post

You replaced the o-ring? The original is molded into the groove on the disa and has to be scraped when you replace it.
Yes sir I did that last month
Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 PM   #17
stahlgraue46

OP, find an orileys auto parts store and pick up some o-rings. You can find the size by looking at them in the box, preferably get the oarngeish color ones, they're made of viton so they're oil resistant. If you can't find any PM Me and i can get you a box and ship them. I also have a few left over from when I did a catch can conversion.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #18
lingon300k

Quote:
I've already repaired my disa about a month ago (:
I don't think you're understanding why I'm telling you to watch the video.

You can't successfully repair the DISA if it doesn't hold vacuum, and its ability to hold vacuum isn't related to the o-ring.

Watch the video from around 1:30 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahlgraue46 View Post
preferably get the oarngeish color ones, they're made of viton so they're oil resistant.
Orange o-rings are silicone. Viton is very dark brown. I just found out that you can get a kit of Viton o-rings at Harbor Freight for around $10, but I have no idea if any of them would fit.

https://www.globaloring.com/oring-colors/

Last edited by lingon300k; 01-24-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:50 PM   #19
MP325xi

Quote:
I don't think you're understanding why I'm telling you to watch the video.

You can't successfully repair the DISA if it doesn't hold vacuum, and its ability to hold vacuum isn't related to the o-ring.

Watch the video from around 1:30 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Orange o-rings are silicone. Viton is very dark brown. I just found out that you can get a kit of Viton o-rings at Harbor Freight for around $10, but I have no idea if any of them would fit.

Sorry I should have been more clear, I also did this test when checking my DISA again and the valve holds the vacuum. I actually watched this video when repairing mine
Old 01-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #20
stahlgraue46

Quote:

Dark brown seems more like what I'm talking about. I'm sure the harbor freight kit would fit. The 10 piece kit I got from the auto parts store fits.

Tags
misfire, misfires detected, oil separator