E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
2000e46vert

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Top completely inop

Ok, this may have been covered in some other thread, and I will continue to look around online, but I had my 2000 323ci Convertible in for service at a very good indy European shop and he diagnosed the hydro pump was bad. Actually said the wiring harness was good. I ordered the pump from Top Hydraulics and it went in rather smoothly.

My issue now is that I was able to raise and lower the top manually prior. I had the top lowered after the install, replaced the 50 amp fuse, and tried to close the top. The tonneau cover opened, and the top gave a valiant effort to open, but couldn't. I manually raised it and the motor latched the top hooks down. Of course the red light is blinking now.

I emailed Klaus and sent him a picture of the low fluid level. He said that there may have been a prior leak or that the lines weren't seated correctly. My assumption is that the lines were completely empty, since the pump I removed was filled almost to the top.

My situation right now is that when I turn the car on, the red light flashes. There is no activity whatsoever when either top button is pushed. I went under the back seat cushion to unlock the mechanism so that I could manually open the top, but even with the button pushed down, I can not get the top to raise enough to allow the back section of the rood to be raised to expose the tonneau. I will likely stop by my mechanic so he can read any codes in the system. But I'd like to get it so I can raise and lower the top manually so I can see what happens to the fluid level.
2000e46vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Top operation is completely locked out when the red light is flashing, so pushing the button hoping for something to happen is going to be a let down.

Get the codes read. Some sensor is reading a bad/disconnected value and preventing all operation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 02-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
2000e46vert

but I can't get the top to manually lower. Am I not turning the hex screws enough that unlock the latches? I mean the latches are unhooking and I can lift it a bit, but not enough to allow me to lift the rear section to open up the tonneau cover. I am hoping that if I can get the top lowered, I'll hit the open button and see if it resets.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Dumb question: Did you manually unlock the latches at the windshield first?

There is no "reset" for the e46 top. The e36 top can be reset which many mistake while searching.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by taylor192; 02-12-2017 at 01:26 AM.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
2000e46vert

Yes, I did. But I just read another post where someone mentioned that you must continue to turn the allen wrench to loosen the tension completely to allow the top to be pulled back enough to relieve the tension on the rear now so that it could be lifted. Does that sound accurate?
Old 02-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #6
2000e46vert

UPDATE: I completely cranked back the latch that released the hooks from the windshield. That did allow me to pull the roof up to relieve the tension on the rear bow. When I installed the pump and manually put the top up after trying to do it with the buttons, the fluid dropped way below the circle.

I filled it (actually overfilled) but after manually raising and lowering it is now exactly where it needs to be. My guess is the lines were empty.

Now, the light is still flashing, but with the top down (stowed) if I press the open button I hear the motor and some clicking but not from the flap motor under the seat.

I checked all the fuses and the 20 amp in position 46 (where there are two fuses) was blown. Any idea what that fuses controls?

I am figuring from what you said, that with the light flashing I will not get the Windows to drop or the motor to run that released the roof from the windshield.

I also do not see any hydraulic fluid outside of the car on the garage floor, and nothing inside the car either.

Last edited by 2000e46vert; 02-12-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
2000e46vert

Also, with the key out of the ignition when replacing the 20 amp fuse in position 46, there was a spark, but it did not blow the fuse.

Also, the trunk will not open from the handle, only with the key in the lock cylinder.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #8
2000e46vert

Another question, the tonneau cover doesn't latch, which may be why the trunk will not open with the button if the computer doesn't think the open/close process is complete.

I know the motor underneath the rear seat has something to do with it, but I think that is working properly, although I'm trying to find good pictures or videos of good versus bad flap motors. The tonneau lays flat so I wouldn't think the rear latches are closed.

Whatever actually raised the tonneau cover worked once since I installed the hydro pump, but I get nothing now and I hope that is related to your statement about nothing working with the red light flashing.

Tags
convertible